Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda sells Natural-Gas Civic GX

Old 04-22-2005, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vAnt,Apr 21 2005, 08:11 PM
It also has probably the lowest power engine you can find in a new car.

And the engine probably sounds crappier ;p
Not true. With 100 HP, it's not even the lowest power Civic you can buy. The Hybrid's engines combined produce 93 HP
Old 04-22-2005, 09:13 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Lice Locket,Apr 22 2005, 06:57 AM]Run out of natural gas?
Old 04-22-2005, 10:21 AM

Natural Gas.

There are a few unexpected producers of Natural Gas now. They are Diary Farms and Garbage dump sites.

Some Diary Farms have already (paid up front) and converted their Farm so they can use the Natural Gas as secondary revenue by selling to Gas suppliers.

Same as Garbage dump sites. Most that have not converted are just burning the Natural Gas anyways. So some have converted to sell those Natural Gas as secondary revenue.

Now if someone can just invent it to connect to my..... NEVERMIND
Old 04-22-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

in those areas, a civic would run from cow farts and garbage stink. take that rai! you are right in that it is a fossil fuel, too, but methane is a renewable one. long-length (propane and higher) hydrocarbons are not. big distinction.

another aside...believe it or not, our gas is mostly carbon dioxide. It has very little methane. I've tried lighting mine many times...even the powerful ones that stink just blow the flame out. so, selling the fruit of our flatulence as a fuel is not profitable as cars can't run on CO2.

cow gas is heavier in methane because their digestive systems are different.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rai,Apr 22 2005, 09:13 AM
Natural gas is a fossil fuel.

-->>>Natural gas
-->>Click

Methane may be made by cows, but so far as I know no Civic or house heater ever uses cow-methane for fuel.
The definition of a fossil fuel is misleading; Fossil = remains of the dead. A footprint left by a dinosaur can be a fossil. Oil is from dinosaur carcasses and coal is from dead plants.
Methane can come from almost anything that was alive or not. So, if it comes from manure, its not a fossil fuel. If it does come from a corpse, its a fossil fuel. Nonetheless, the sites even agree with me that methane is very abundant, which in your earlier post, said will run out. As long as there are animals (actually, any living thing) farting, pooping, and dying, there'll be a source of methane.

Methane sources (from wikipedia):
decomposition of organic wastes
natural sources (marshes): 23 %
mineral fuel extraction: 20 %, see Coal bed methane extraction
Methane is extracted from geological deposits as a mineral fuel which is associated with other hydrocarbon fuels.

the processes of digestion in animals (cattle): 17 %
bacteria found in rice plantations: 12 %
biomass anaerobic heating or combustion
Old 04-23-2005, 02:46 PM
FRM

Is the natural-gas Civic GX the cleanest internal-combustion vehicle on Earth?

The EPA certainly thinks so. And in March of 2005, California motorists will have the opportunity to buy this environmentally conscious, natural-gas vehicle from select Honda dealers. (The GX will eventually be available nationwide.) The GX has everything you'd expect from a Civic, like a roomy cabin and responsive acceleration.

But GX owners can also experience the convenience of filling up their tanks at home with a compact home refueling station called Phill. And California GX owners are even eligible to access carpool lanes. Although the Civic GX is a revolutionary vehicle, it's actually been on the streets and enjoyed by fleet operators since 1998. Maybe it's the right vehicle for you.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_...Civic+GX&bhcp=1
Old 04-23-2005, 02:48 PM
FRM

Refueling at home:

Filling up your tank just might be the most convenient aspect of owning a Civic GX. That's because you can refuel at home while you're asleep.
Meet Phill, the first home refueling appliance available to owners of natural gas vehicles. Phill is a compact unit (30" x 14" x 14") made by FuelMaker that's easily installed to your home gas line, inside or outside your garage. This is the very same gas line you use to fuel appliances such as your gas stove. Phill is as safe and quiet as a clothes dryer. It's equipped with several built-in features that monitor and detect minute leaks and automatically shut down the system if necessary.

Refueling on the road:

When you're out and about, please consider the following. A full tank of gas supplies the GX with a driving range of approximately 200 miles. In most cases, this will allow you to travel to your destination and back home to refuel with Phill. But sometimes you'll need to fill up on the road.
At times like these, you can refuel in mere minutes at the numerous alternative fuel stations throughout California. Check out the California Natural Gas Vehicle Coalition Web site for a complete list of locations. Please note: always be sure to call the station first to make sure that they're open and accept common forms of payment. (Some stations require you to open a business account to operate the pump.)

http://www.cngvc.org
Old 04-25-2005, 06:48 PM
FRM

Civic GX FAQ

Q: The Civic GX is a dedicated natural-gas vehicle. What does that mean?
A: A dedicated natural-gas vehicle, like the GX, runs exclusively on clean-burning natural gas. Many other natural-gas vehicles use a "dual-fuel" system that doesn't offer the same economic and emission benefits that a dedicated system offers.

Q: How clean are the emissions of the GX's engine?
A: The Civic GX's engine produces almost no emissions. The amount of hydrocarbon emissions is near zero. In fact, the GX runs on the cleanest-burning internal-combustion engine in the world.

Q: Since the GX runs on natural gas, and not gasoline, does its performance suffer?
A: No. The GX's performance is indistinguishable from that of a gasoline-powered Civic. In fact, we're proud of the GX's considerable horsepower. Low emissions always seemed to conjure up images of vehicles lacking power, but the GX proves that needn't be the case. Once behind the wheel, it's impossible to discern between the performance of the GX and the performance of the gasoline-powered LX.

Q: How far can the GX go on a full tank of natural gas?
A: On the highway, the GX can go approximately 250 miles before it runs out of fuel. But once you take traffic and driving factors into consideration, the "real-world" range is about 200 miles. Your actual driving range may vary, depending on driving habits, fill pressure and "fast fill" effects.

Q: Can I accessorize my Civic GX?
A: Yes, you can accessorize a GX just like any other Honda.

Q: Do Civic GX owners qualify for the Federal Clean-Fuel Vehicle Tax Deduction?
A: Yes, the Civic GX is eligible for many Federal, State and local incentives.
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/civic_...elName=Civic+GX

Q: Is the GX right for me?
A: There are several factors to consider if you're thinking about buying a Civic GX. The GX has a unique fueling infrastructure, so it's important to plan appropriately to ensure that refueling stations are available when you travel. To purchase a Phill refueling unit for your home, you'll need a natural gas line or the ability to have one installed. That being said, there are numerous incentives to driving a GX, such as lower fuel cost, access to car pool lanes, a positive feeling of protecting the environment and the convenience of refueling at home.

Q: How safe is a natural gas vehicle?
A: Natural gas vehicles are every bit as safe as today's conventional gasoline and diesel vehicles.

Q: Is the Civic GX allowed to access HOV lanes?
A: GX drivers are eligible to access HOV lanes in California even when they are traveling alone. Different states, however, may have different laws. Check your local laws to learn more.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:50 PM
FRM

Q: Where can I service my Civic GX?
A: Repairs related to the GX's engine or fuel system must be serviced at an authorized Civic GX Honda dealer. All other repairs can be handled at any authorized Honda dealer.

Q: What is Phill?
A: Phill is a natural gas vehicle refueling appliance designed for use with the Civic GX in residential environments.

Q: Is Phill Noisy?
A: Phill makes as little noise as your typical outdoor air conditioner. In fact, it is rated at <40 dBA.

Q: How much electricity does Phill use?
A: At 800 watts per hour, Phill uses less electricity than most small appliances.

Q: How much does Phill cost?
A: Contact your local Honda dealer for more information on cost and financing options. The price of the Phill unit may be subsidized by state and local government incentives.

Q: Can Phill be installed outdoors?
A: Yes, as long as it can be securely fastened to studs, brick or concrete in order to hold at least 100 pounds and meets all applicable building codes and regulations.

Q: How much will it cost to install Phill?
A: The installation cost of Phill will depend on how close the existing gas and electrical supplies are to the desired installation location. The greater the distance, the more a typical installation will cost.

Q: Where/How do I service the Phill? Who do I call if I have problems with Phill?
A: Phill is not designed to need any service nor maintenance. If there are any problems with Phill please call Phill Technical Support at 1-866-697-4455.

Q: Do I need to purchase a new Civic GX in order to purchase a Phill unit?
A: No, current Civic GX owners as well as owners of other CNG vehicles can purchase the Phill home refueling unit.

Q: Can I lease the Phill unit?
A: Yes, Phill will be available for lease through 17 authorized Honda Civic GX California dealers in San Diego, Los Angeles, Bakersfield, Sacramento and San Francisco.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by FRM,Apr 25 2005, 06:48 PM
Civic GX FAQ

Q: Is the Civic GX allowed to access HOV lanes?
A: GX drivers are eligible to access HOV lanes in California even when they are traveling alone.
For some areas of CA, this alone is worth all the hassles with the natural gas refueling. This can save hours of sitting in traffic in some areas.

Quick Reply: Honda sells Natural-Gas Civic GX