Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda ST1100 Owners?

Old 03-23-2002, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda ST1100 Owners?

I had a '91 ST1100 until it got totalled by a blind left-turning driver three years ago. The fear and loathing that experience caused me has finally faded enough that I have just reserved a new 2001 ST1100 ABS ("reserved" because it's at a dealership two hours away and I need above-freezing temps to go and retrieve it).

Thought the S2000 would keep any cravings to return to two-wheeled motoring at bay. No such luck. The S2 is fantastic, but there's no replacement for the sensation a mortorcycle can provide.

This will make three Honda products in my driveway; the third being my '97 Prelude. (Shoudln't Honda be giving me some sort of ...special privileges or something?)

Anyway, I'm interested in comparing notes with other S2/ST owners, even though I already subscribe to three forums devoted exclusively to the bike.
Old 03-23-2002, 05:59 AM

RS1; Does this bike have linked brakes? The new VFR has linked brakes (LBS) and has as an option, ABS. (@ about $1K extra) I was curious what the combination of ABS & LBS might feel like. Anyone?
Old 03-23-2002, 06:06 AM

Before you buy, you may be interested to know that Yamaha is finally going to release their European model FJR1300 into North America this summer. Same rear wheel horsies as the Blackbird(145), much lighter than the S and handles great. Comes with luggage,etc. If you reserve yours before March 30, you will get the introductory price of 17,500. I know Honda has the best fit and finish, however I think that a sport touring bike should have the emphases on SPORT! When you're two -up with luggage,
you should not be forced to be a two-wheeled"Winnibago".They can be seen at; http://yamaha-motor-europe.com
Don't get me wrong, I've owned Honda bikes before, but was thinking this would be of interest to you.
Old 03-23-2002, 06:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chipster
[B]RS1; Does this bike have linked brakes? The new VFR
Old 03-23-2002, 10:07 AM

OTG; Are you sure about the price? I was watching Bike Week on SPEED and I thought DeSpain(sp) mentioned the cost was $11,400? In any case I think your right, It looks to be a super bike. The Yamaha spokesperson called it a "Super Sport Tourer". It seems to have some nice features like adjustable windshield, heated grips and toggle switch for one-up or two-up suspension adj. I said it before.. It's a great time for sportbikes and those who ride them. That would be US! One other point. Those owners that have posted here seem to represent the full spectrum of manufacturers. I hope I am not speaking prematurely when I say that this site seems respect all brands and that unlike other bike sites, my (fill in the brand ) is best is thankfully lacking. COOL
Old 03-23-2002, 10:40 AM

Hey Chipster! You are undoubtably correct about the price. I failed to mention the price as "Canadian funds".My dealer phoned me about two weeks ago to let me know that my 2 year old down payment would still be honoured!
Old 03-29-2002, 06:23 AM

Just rode the bike home yesterday, about 300 km. from Belleville to Ottawa, Ontario -- all via the superslabs of the 401 and 416, unfortunately, because of time constraints. So that sort of droning didn't allow me any opportunity to exercise the ABS or much of any other aspects of the bike's performance characteristics (aside from its quite nice roll-on capacity).

But, in answer to the question, yes, this bike has not only ABS but also LBS (Linked Braking System) and TCS (Traction Control System). The LBS, according to Honda's info, allows both wheels to be braked with application of either brake lever. In other words, application of only the right-hand lever will activate not only the front brake but also part of the rear brake; and application of the rear brake pedal will also activate the front pads, to a degree.

The effect, combined with the anti-dive technology also in place on the front forks, is a stopping experience that seems totally "flat", a kind of gentle "squatting" down to a stop.

The TCS can be turned on or off. It is meant to prevent loss of rear end control due to tire spin under acceleration on on wet, muddy or icy surfaces.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:00 AM

Congratulations RS1. They're a great mileage eating bike,hope you get the most out of it, as you surely should buying it this early in the year. If you make it out to the prairies look me up, we'll share some foothill /mountain roads with you. From Calgary it's just a half hour to some great,scenic roads.
Old 04-01-2002, 04:50 AM

The big difference in my life now, OTG, with this '01 ST compared to the '91 (10 years later!!), is that I am quite a bit less "footloose and fancy free" these days. Ten years ago the Rockies (and especially an ST-exclusive rally there, such as "WeSTOC" in Kimberley, BC) would have been an undeniable lure for me. I'd pack up and leave my wife behind with only a small and short-lived sense of guilt.

Now, ...well, it's a long story, but let's just say I'm a bit more sensitive to the subtleties of a monogamous relationship's demands and rewards. As much as I'd love to ride out west (as I've done a dozen times in the 80s and early 90s), it's not in the cards at this point. Given that Sandra will NOT sit pillion, and I will not encourage her to again have her own bike (because she demonstrated a worrisome ability to fall asleep while operating it), there's no way we could see the west or attend WeSTOC
Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 AM

Another long-term ST1100 rider checking in. Had a '93ABS for a few years, then picked up my current '91 in '03.
www.illzoni.com/bikes

And I have an '89 HawkGT.

Sure do feel guilty taking the S2000 out with the bikes sitting in the garage.

Quick Reply: Honda ST1100 Owners?