Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How good is the 240sx?

Old 02-22-2003, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good is the 240sx?

I might be buying a 1992 240sx SE hatchback. 63000 miles, Red, Manual Transmission. Perfect shape and I like that it's RWD. I was just wondering how quick, reliable and easy to mod these things are. I probably will buy it for 4000-4500 dollars.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:54 AM

This is one of the easiest cars to be modded. Just have to remove the standard engine and replace it with an sr20det setup. You can get just about as much power as you want.

The best place to start with this is to take a look at parts from JUN. They can rebuild the whole engine for you for your particular type of setup you may want.

There are 3 Hyper Rev books out on parts and modifications for the Silvia just as reference.

Konrad
Old 02-22-2003, 01:53 PM

The 240sx is a great chasis with a lousy truck motor. If you do a SR20DET transplant. You could have a unique and competent ride.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:02 PM

These engine swaps....how much? and how reliable? I barely know how to change my oil let alone pump gas....
Old 02-22-2003, 02:11 PM

240sx will be a good drifter IMO.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:18 PM

You can pick up a sr20det motor, tranny and wiring harness for 2k. Depends on what you can find but will be some where around there.

If you want someone else to do the work than find a good low mileage motor and send it to JUN. http://www.junauto.co.jp Tell them what you are looking to accomplish and they will perform the motor rebuild and put the motor in your chassis.

When I was looking, 2 years ago, they quoted me a 10k for a 300HP motor installed and guaranteed for three years. I had to supply the motor and the car. But this is even after I told them it would be used for strictly drifting purposes. What you wish for may only cost a few thousand.

The SR20DET engine swaps are one of the most common in the business. The engine should be pretty reliable as long as you don't go crazy with the boost.

Konrad
Old 02-22-2003, 02:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 93 240SX SE back in 96-97. It was a great highway cruiser with decent handling stock. The stock brakes IMO have to go as does that horrible 2.4 liter truck motor.

I was not overwhelmed by the quality of the car - it did have it's little issues and blemishes, but if you can stand some cosmetic stuff here and there...
Old 02-22-2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by steve c
I had a 93 240SX SE back in 96-97. It was a great highway cruiser with decent handling stock. The stock brakes IMO have to go as does that horrible 2.4 liter truck motor.

I was not overwhelmed by the quality of the car - it did have it's little issues and blemishes, but if you can stand some cosmetic stuff here and there...
To be a real good car you pretty much take it down and build it up with parts of your choice. There are numerous part out there for your choosing. The platform is what you are using.

While the car may have some blemishes this will only enhance your car. I say that because after being to a few drifting events in Tokyo you see many of the cars where there are dings here and there as well as a few cracked front bumpers. The bumpers are held together with every classy Duct Tape which shows you are a true racer. All the guys, some girls, can tell you how they received each crack and was a good conversation starter when trying to find out about their car.

Konrad
Old 02-22-2003, 02:59 PM

See I love drifting...I was thinking either Miata, 2nd Gen MR2 or the 240sx...only 2 grand? Wow...not bad, how much does the usual B series swap cost? Also Integra Gsr or this?
Old 02-22-2003, 03:42 PM

Can't help on the cost of a B series swap but if you wish to drift it is hard to do it in a FF car (Integra GSR). It can be done, there a few technical vids sold over in Japan, but is not something that would be very fun for long. Also, breaking stuff is a little easier on the FF cars when drifting due to more stress trying to evoke the slides and holding it. While I had my Chevy Corsica I use to practice the FF drifting style but the motor gave out at 30k. Only 5k worth of drifting and it was meticulously maintained to try and avoid any issues. My problem was the Al block developed a small cracked and had to be replaced. It was fun while it lasted though.

You may not have wanted to even drift if you decided to go with the GSR so my info above may be pointless. The silvia will be a lot more fun overall than the GSR if you are going with the SR20DET. If not a stock Integra GSR is the nicer car of the two.

To be completely different try to pick up an old Toyota GTS hatch. The original drifting machine.

Konrad

Quick Reply: How good is the 240sx?