Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

how to start

Old 04-29-2003, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to start

I know how everyone's told me about the MSF course and that's all well and good-I do plan to take that before anything else. However, a family friend advised me that if i do start riding, I should start out on a dirt bike on dirt trails for a while to learn bike control off-road. he said that it would give me immeasurably more control on-road, like, safely learning to slide and recover, and proper riding style. his reasoning is logical and makes sense, but I was wondering about your input; are on and off road riding drastically different? are skills transferrable, or would i be better off starting with a low-power road bike? (600 cc Sport bikes scare the out of me, but since I'm not a small guy i wonder if something smaller wouldn't be adequate to pull my ass around.) Any thoughts?
Old 04-30-2003, 05:16 AM

I think a dirt bike is a great way to learn ridding a bike.
When you fall it doesn't hurt as much and you won't get run over by a cage.
Once you find how much fun dirt bikes are you may forget all about the street bike.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:49 AM

Let me also add a vote for starting on dirt bikes. Besides learning much more about how to control a moving motorcycle, you also learn how to deal with the awkward situations like having to start moving on an uphill corner or how to stop in gravel. Once you get the "dumping of bike in awkward situations" out of the way, then you'll know what to do when you get into similar situations on a street bike.

The bike control skills you learn off road apply to the street. What you miss in the dirt are the skills needed to deal with traffic and road conditions.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:20 AM

Regarding starting on dirt bikes as a training ground. There is a real difference between trail riding and motocross. Trail riding gives you the unpredictability of the street but does'nt highlight bike control. I recommend buying a used MXer and riding on a track(check for practice days). You'll be able to fine tune corners, whoops, berms etc. and your learning curve will be accelerated. Body position is crucial, you stand up much more than on a street bike. I't will prepare you for the emergency braking and avoidence on the street.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:51 PM
J.T

Id say start out on dirt also. Learn to understand how a bike bike handle and all that stuff.

Plus dirt is alot softer than asphalt!
Old 05-09-2003, 07:53 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You already have a handle on the BEST way to start. The MSF course. You can decide the rest during and after that course. Your instructors will be in the best position to advise you further as they will have the opportunity to assess your "riding credentials".
The responses you have gotten so far in this thread have been wise and calculated ones. However, there is always a possibility that someone will post a reply here telling you that they went directly into a high performance crotch rocket from "scratch" and have survived and have done well. Please disregard such posts as they are made from people who have had a frontal lobotomy and have only recently, with much difficulty, removed those 3 horseshoes that were stuck up their butts.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:03 AM

Couldn't have said it better, xviper.

Seems like you've already got a good handle on a good way to get into riding, Quick2K. The dirt is the best place to learn (I wish I did it that way...) and the MSF course is the best way to transition to the street. Though if you get proficient on the dirt and get a license before taking the MSF course, take the "advanced" one instead as you get more riding practice in without re-learning how to use a clutch. Either course will teach you a lot though, even if you've been riding for a while.

Good luck!
Old 05-09-2003, 08:15 AM
pfb

Dirt riding does impart a great sense of balance and slide recovery that is extremely useful for street riding. Having the rear end begin to slide out on a street bike in a feeling most street riders dread, and have little experience recovering from.

Dirt riders (and race track riders) become very used to this feeling and can usually ride/correct without even thinking about it.

As far as bikes, you might consider a good 4-stroke dual-sport bike that is both a decent road bike and competent trail bike. Some recommendations are the Suzuki DRZ 400S, Kawasaki KLR 650, BMW F650GS, Aprillia Pegaso, KTM 640 LC4, etc.

Something like the Kawi KLR can be picked up used for sub $4K (new they are only $5K), and will teach you worlds about on and off pavement riding. They also can dump without costing thousands in bodywork damage.

Personally, I love dual-sport motorcycles, and own three of them! A BMW R1100GS, A KLR 650, and an XR400R.

Here are three 600 class dualsports and a 400 class dualsport. All would be great first bikes, though the KTM might be a little pricey. All are a little tall (most dual sport bikes are) if you have a short inseam.

KLR 650

BMW F650GS

DRZ 400

KTM 640 Adventure
Old 05-21-2003, 06:22 PM

Hahaha, im a little p!@@$ and am going to buy a 50cc Derbi moto, well i just want tosmething to fart around on, not a serious motorcycle really.