Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is Hyundai the new Honda?

Old 11-08-2011, 10:53 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

^ also odd that they've never built a production V8. They march to their own tune is all I can say. Their lack of modern technology in engines I expect will change, but then they may be more focused on realizing benefits through IMA integration and other methods whether we approve or not.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My S2K is my first Honda, and while I love it, their newest generations of cars just seem to be upping the boring factor. It's like they're doing what Toyota did after they killed off the MR2 Spyder, produce nothing but boring fuel economy based vehicles that hardly hint at the notion of being fun. The new SI's actually perform worse then the older ones and have gotten uglier, the CR-Z is a waste of money and could probably get better fuel efficiency without all the hybrid BS in there, and the rest of their lineup is just plain BLAND.

I never thought I'd ever say that I would own a Hyundai, but nowadays that doesn't even seem to be a factor. They have definitely taken a step in the right direction now, they are now producing cars people actually want to buy at an affordable pricepoint, and are doing a great job at it, all while providing a rediculously awesome warranty to boot.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Its odd to me that Honda is an "engine" company yet its engines don't use modern technology that we see in many other engines the competition is putting out.
Yeah, they beat the competition without it.

Seriously, what don't they use? They've already said they won't touch direct injection because of the many associated problems with it (carbon buildup being the big one) and they'll wait for the technology to mature. Other than that, they're pretty much with everyone else for valve technology, they're ahead of the game for overall efficiency, they keep their cars lightweight to require LESS engine (which equates to better fuel efficiency), and their engines are still relatively simple to work on (they're taking out timing belts for many of them, for instance).

Forced induction? Not needed - they still beat the "better" turbo models for efficiency and overall performance is still right there. Their engines are arguably among the most reliable in the world, right there with Toyota. They may use it later but honestly, every turbo'd car that advertises fuel efficiency doesn't hit its numbers, except the Golf GTI, which also doesn't make very much power from it's motor (so, they've made an obvious tradeoff)...
Old 11-08-2011, 12:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gentlemen....

Commence pissing contest!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Its odd to me that Honda is an "engine" company yet its engines don't use modern technology that we see in many other engines the competition is putting out.
Originally Posted by aashish2
^ also odd that they've never built a production V8. They march to their own tune is all I can say. Their lack of modern technology in engines I expect will change, but then they may be more focused on realizing benefits through IMA integration and other methods whether we approve or not.
I think they were once an amazing innovator that got caught up in the concept that maximum fuel economy is the only thing that is important, and how can they deliver to this priority with a maximum profit and the least amount of risk.

I also think when a company fails to recognize the importance of risk taking, they have essentially died, and for me, Honda looks like a cancer patient just waiting to die.

HONDA
Old 11-08-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Seriously, what don't they use?
I'm sorry, I forgot, what vehicle other than a motorcycle do they have a dual clutch tranny on?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:17 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by Saki GT' timestamp='1320780156' post='21139206
Originally Posted by aashish2
I think they were once an amazing innovator that got caught up in the concept that maximum fuel economy is the only thing that is important, and how can they deliver to this priority with a maximum profit and the least amount of risk.

I also think when a company fails to recognize the importance of risk taking, they have essentially died, and for me, Honda looks like a cancer patient just waiting to die.

and that could very well be the risk that they are taking. Its not like they are not trying. Just that they have failed to hit the sweetspot with consumer with their offerings.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1320785849' post='21139541
Seriously, what don't they use?
I'm sorry, I forgot, what vehicle other than a motorcycle do they have a dual clutch tranny on?
I didn't realize the transmission was considered part of the engine. Maybe that's what they mean by "long block"?

Of course, I'd much rather a crappy DCT like what's in the Ford Focus over a smooth torque-converter automatic like what's in the Civic. What was I thinking?!?!?!

But sure, gloss over the fact that they're also the first manufacturer to put a DCT in a mass-produced motorcycle.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Fwiw, I've never bought a car because of the engine. I settle on the car and then maybe the engine if there's a choice. Its all well and good to have a nice engine, but putting it a lackluster car is like burying a diamond in a pile of crap, isn't it?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:59 PM

Buying a car with a crappy engine is like dating a supermodel with irritable bowel syndrome. In the end, the looks and feel don't justify the crap you're dealing with.

If I bought a Mustang, it'd be primarily because of the engine. Same thing with an M3, for that matter. From the opposite side, I'd never buy an Audi S4 (B5) because it has a crappy motor that gives decent power but doesn't hold up at all.

I guess you and I are just different. Not that that's a big revelation or anything....

Quick Reply: Is Hyundai the new Honda?