Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai's CR-Z destroyer?

Old 11-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Meh - the press has almost universally panned it as a car that offers some fun, some utility and some new "looks" (some liked it, some didn't) but not very much sport or handling. Virtually none said it was a truly sporty car or even all that fun to drive. The motor is gutless and the suspension is definitely on the cheap end.
Please, tell me what car has 40-mpg that can honestly be called sporty... This model of the Veloster was designed to break into the 40-mpg category, of course it is not going to be sporty. Just because some reviewers are stupid and have expectations that are unrealistic does not mean the car is poor.

You say the engine is gutless? Then what the f do you call the CR-Z? The base Veloster eats the CR-Z alive, and yes, I have test driven both of them :
Old 11-08-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Honda's making a turbo CR-Z?
No....
Turbo Veloster 1.6 T-GDI
John Krafcik the CEO announced it at SEMA last week
Horsepower: 204 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Torque: 195 ft-lbs. @ 1,750 rpm
Old 11-08-2011, 12:00 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1320778120' post='21139104
Meh - the press has almost universally panned it as a car that offers some fun, some utility and some new "looks" (some liked it, some didn't) but not very much sport or handling. Virtually none said it was a truly sporty car or even all that fun to drive. The motor is gutless and the suspension is definitely on the cheap end.
Please, tell me what car has 40-mpg that can honestly be called sporty... This model of the Veloster was designed to break into the 40-mpg category, of course it is not going to be sporty. Just because some reviewers are stupid and have expectations that are unrealistic does not mean the car is poor.

You say the engine is gutless? Then what the f do you call the CR-Z? The base Veloster eats the CR-Z alive, and yes, I have test driven both of them :
The Veloster hasn't been proven to do 40 mpg in the real world whereas the CR-Z has been proven by many to consistently surpass its fuel efficiency rating by the EPA. We'll see how the Veloster does in real life, once enough are sold to build a statistically viable database for fuel efficiency...

Let's face it - the base Veloster is a hatchback/wagon with a basic motor, a basic suspension, some interesting looks (love it or hate it) and a low price with some great features. That's all.

The CR-Z is gutless, too - no doubt about that at all. Sounds pretty good, though.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
The Veloster hasn't been proven to do 40 mpg in the real world
Gotcha, must be all those people on the Veloster forums are just lying sacks of chit
Thanks for straightening that out for me
Old 11-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

You could link your proof... I'll point you to people that log their fuel economy religously with the CR-Z that are getting over 50 mpg (a 25% improvement over the Veloster's max EPA rating).
Old 11-08-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Log their mpg religiously?! Those bold little devils!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The CR-Z is an epic failure, not too far behind the RL which Honda sold a whopping 22 units in October (U.S. sales). The Insight is snuggled nicely between these two.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:58 PM

I'm likely in the minority, but I actually like how the CR-Z looks, and how it's trying to walk the fine line between sporting intentions and fuel efficiency. Of course, I haven't actually driven a CR-Z because I haven't been able to find one available at any nearby dealerships. From what I've read, it largely fails at sporting intentions, though it's supposedly more fun than one would expect. And supposedly, it can also get reasonable gas mileage if you're not always trying to cane it.

As for the Veloster, I saw one in person the other day. I found that it looks good from some angles, while looks like a mess from other angles.

Would love to test drive both to assess their "fun" factor!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:36 PM

cr-z is a great design with horrible engineering and the veloster i think is actually pretty cool and its going to be even cooler when the boosted version debuts. sadly the veloster has more hardcore presentations than the cr-z except bizimotos 700+hp monster

heres some proof
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MUl1DXwfYQ

if you look at the sema highlights, only one crz made news :/
Old 11-09-2011, 02:19 PM

Veloster > CR-Z any day. I really like the CR-Z styling. Like mostly people I would buy one if it comes with a k20. But a 2 seater hybrid that doesn't get better than 40MPG??? C'mon. I didi ride the veloster and it isn't a comparison. veloster hands down

Quick Reply: Hyundai's CR-Z destroyer?