Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I dont miss my bike

Old 01-29-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well unfortunately for the two of us we live in a country packed full of them.

Enjoy yourself and the ride and don't let anything get in the way of that.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You act like you have to belong to some kind of clique or group or riders to be able to ride. I don't own a bike but have riden plenty of them and am really considering getting one this year. When i went bike riding with friends in the past, no one forced me to go faster than i wanted to, in fact they slowed down and helped me out. Its just the same way with the S2000. For me personaly, I LOVE to go out riding "balls to the wall" and push the car to the limits. If I am out with a group of S2000's then i try to get with people that have the same interest as me in going as fast as they can. Other just want to take the scenic route and enjoy the slow driving and the view. I don't judge the people that do this as they have their own views and hope they don't judge me for my own views. This is why at every S2000 meet, there is different driving preferance groups so that people don't do things they don't want to.

Now if you want to go and enhance your skills, i believe the only way to do that is to ride with people better, in which case you will see how fast the turn in front of you CAN be taken and you can attempt the same. If you don't want to do that, then don't, fall behind and I'm sure you will catch up later when everyone else hits traffic.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver S2k4' date='Feb 7 2005, 02:27 PM
For me personaly, I LOVE to go out riding "balls to the wall" and push the car to the limits. If I am out with a group of S2000's then i try to get with people that have the same interest as me in going as fast as they can.

Now if you want to go and enhance your skills, i believe the only way to do that is to ride with people better, in which case you will see how fast the turn in front of you CAN be taken and you can attempt the same.
Attitudes like that belong on the track, not on the street. Even then you'll run out of track quicker than you think. Sound like someone likes to get in over their head.

Good Luck

You're young yet, maybe you'll live long enough to learn this.

Don't listen to me though. I am eagerly awaiting your motorcycle purchase. Just be sure to check back here and tell me how wrong I was / am.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by freq' date='Feb 7 2005, 10:40 AM
Attitudes like that belong on the track, not on the street. Even then you'll run out of track quicker than you think. Sound like someone likes to get in over their head.

Good Luck

You're young yet, maybe you'll live long enough to learn this.

Don't listen to me though. I am eagerly awaiting your motorcycle purchase. Just be sure to check back here and tell me how wrong I was / am.
you are 100% correct about the track thing. I learned this with the S2000 at Fall Colors. I went faster, slowed down quicker, and took turns harder than i ever thought possible. On the street there is always a hold back and when i say balls to the wall or as fast as I can, i don't mean i go crazy and have no head on my shoulders. There is always a limit on the street and lately i have been more and more scared to push to the limit, especially with the current weather conditions.

When and IF i get a bike, i will certainly respect it as I have fallen before and its not all that fun.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

OT: Who's "Spirited Group" did you drive w/ on Saturday at Fall Colors? Black NSX?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Road Rash' date='Jan 27 2005, 03:46 PM
I guess you could say I belong on a touring bike instead of a sportbike. What I got out of riding was taking in scenery and just hanging out with a good buddy or two and the occasional jaunt in to the triple digits. I'm a big technology fan which is what drew me to sportbikes. It was also a great daily driver, it was awesome splitting lanes in California traffic and cutting your commute time in half. Great mileage too

The problem I always seemed to have was the cockiness of a lot of other riders.

So what if John Doe has chicken strips on his tires, maybe thats just his riding style, whatever keep it to yourself. Hanging out at the local Wed. night get together is fun to me. So what if half the riders don't have 25k miles on their bike, how does that hurt anyone? Again if you don't like it don't attend and keep the negative comments to yourself.
Hey

You are right on the money with your rant.

I mostly solo'd for the first 2 years that I had a bike...who want's to ride with a guy that rides a VTR250, lol. Anyway, when I got my CBR600F2 and really started to learn to ride well, I started to ride with a couple friends. Always fun, always spirited riding, but safe and again, fun.

We used to do long weekends down to Skyline Drive (in Virginia) and soon I started longing for a sport tourer. Even though I liked to rip it up now and again, 12 hour days on the CBR just got old. Right around the time I bought my VFR800 (new, in 1999) I started riding with some other guys I met. Some were cool and the remainder of them were total pricks. I got to the point where I didn't like taking my life into my hands going out riding with these idiots, as someone would darn near always wipe sometime during the 5 hours we'd be riding. I was never impressed with these guys due to the fact that I was on my VFR and I was hanging with guys on CBR929's and GSXR1000's. I am not saying anything about a particular bikes performance; it is just that these guys couldn't have ridden any 600cc bike at 4/10ths...being on a liter bike was just a joke.

I think most of the guys with the liter bikes, the ones that couldn't ride them anyway, just had small what-have-you. Here is what I used to see...sooner or later, Mr. Mini P3n1s is going to be in over his head, with an $8900 loan on a $10k bike, biff it, not be able to afford repairs or insurance increase and end up without a bike altogether. I have seen it soooooo many times. The guy who was so damned adamant about saving for a Hayabusa and taking off from work to ride suddenly has no bike and won't for a long time.

As for me, I sold my beloved VFR back in the spring, right after I had back surgery (totally unrelated to riding.) Although I loved it and still love riding, I am married now and own my own business, so my time to ride has been cut to almost nothing. Just as you mentioned, I am not DYING to get another bike, but can certainly see the day will come where I want to get back into riding.

When you think about going to ride with other people, you have to realize that the people you meet will be a microcosm of society. There are a lot of a-holes in the world and many of those a-holes jump on motorcycles and ride like idiots on public roads. Also, in a microcosm of society, you are going to find a lot of really great people, as I have in the motorcycle world. I have a few friends that I never would have known if I hadn't had a bike and they are people that would do anything for you. Unfortunately, the people that do idiotic things on motorcycles (especially sportbikes) get a LOT of attention. People do stupid $hit in cars every day, and no one pays any attention.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by freq' date='Feb 7 2005, 02:54 PM
OT: Who's "Spirited Group" did you drive w/ on Saturday at Fall Colors? Black NSX?
Rick Hesels group. Watson Glen.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:26 PM

I remember a few years back i went to a meet and accidently got into the Super Spirited group instead of the intermediate one i should of been in at the time. My car was stock while everyone else has Tein Suspension and Superchargers. I held on for my life in my S, had my tires screetching at most of the turns but did not fall back. They drivers in that group far exceeded my skills but, other than my day at the track, i have never had a drive where i had as much fun as I did that day 2 years ago.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:01 AM

Let me preface this with ,I'm a old fart married with two young sons. I was a AMA and Willow Springs road racer in my twenties. I now ride a Honda 954RR for canyon and track fun . I still have my last Yamaha TZ250 GP bike on display in my garage, and for cruising Pacific Coast Highway I also have a turbo-charged Hayabusa. Sportbikes are all about testosterone and ego. For example when you learn to 2 wheel drift your bike weather on the track or in the canyons it's one upmanship and questioning your mates as to why they can't. In other words mind games . For the record, racers have been psychologicaly tested to be the most self centered people in sports. Self confidence makes you fast and you have no time for those who lack it . The main reason for this is that you have to believe for yourself that you can take that corner flatout when others tell you that you can't . Plus in our sport if you screw up you will most likely die.

"A lot of sportbike riders are Elitists. I am convinced of this. If you don't ride 100% knee on the ground and tires worn to the raw edge you are a poser. You do not belong on that sportbike according to these Elitists."

Let me offer my take on this. I ride with a couple of buddies that I have known for years. Squids need not apply, our group paid our dues we each trust each other to ride fast and hard track or canyon. My take on squids is they go out and buy a bike way beyond their limited skills then try to keep up sometimes fail and screw up and more often than not take others out. Why is this ? Because testosterone will not allow them to buy a 250 Ninja or EX500 and learn to ride really well. Most jump right for a 600 or 750 or liter bike and look the fool trying to ride. How many people that own a S have had any serious driver training ? Yet a boatload go out and start modding their cars and have never even extracted all the performance of a stock S . Why buy these types of vehicles if you don't plan on using them to their full potential. Nothing chaps my hide more than going into a corner and a squid or S driver hits the brakes and they are cornering at the speed limit or below, WTF . Once again testosterone will not allow them to pull aside and let those who enjoy their rides to pass.

I wear leathers on most of my rides but also wear shorts and t-shirts when I run errands . We don't preach to people to wear gear ,why would we? If they crash their the ones in pain why would I lose sleep over that ? It's a free country as long as you have the resources to pay for damages why would I care.

Now about group rides or drives as this applies to cars and bikes, I think they are stupid and this is just my opinion .My reasons are they are just a look at me parade. Kinda ghey . Plus with limited chances to ride or drive the way a sportbike or sportscar should be driven most are just a great opportunity for the PoPo or thieves to check out your stuff .

Lastly if you think sportbikers are a PITA try crashing a local surfing spot. You will find that group even worse. I think I'm spotting a trend in the stuff I'm involved in .
Either way no worries maybe bikes aren't for you.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:10 PM

I agree with most points on this thread. But I gotta say I get a chuckle when I see some squid on his liter bike with giant chicken strips on the tires. I've been on group rides with these clowns who have no idea how to ride the twisties, can only go fast in a straight line, and get smoked by way more competent riders on SV650s, EX500s, Ninja 250s, etc.

I'm not saying you should be draggin knees in the street (I never did, IMO it's not necessary), but for the love of god, don't buy top of the line 600s, 1000s, Busa's etc if you don't know the fundamentals of riding.

I sold my bike last winter and hopefully won't be getting another one. I love riding but now that I have my S2000 I think I'll be able to avoid the itch. Now Motorcross.....that's another story.

Quick Reply: I dont miss my bike