Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I know they have been irrelevant here, Dodge Muscle

Old 08-24-2022, 07:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
My take is that I don't get the swing to 100% EVs.

Hybrids make a lot of sense for many people and are better all-round vehicles especially given the EV charging grid we have right now.
Not that many folks are spending the time to figure out if their EV is more cost effective than a similar style vehicle, but most hybrids, I believe, are still not as cost effective as their gas guzzler only counterpart unless you're keeping it for over 100k miles. Having an EV with a range of 250 miles that you can charge at home provides a lot of convenience and day to day significant cost savings over gas forgetting the probable premium paid for the EV. If you can't charge at home, the math changes.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:13 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

The debate, if you can call it that is silly. All batteries need is one more generational improvement and it will be over so fast, it will make your head spin. Once that happens weights of electrified vehicles will rapidly drop to be in-line with modern ice vehicles and charging will be on par with filling your tank now. You might even see the return of light weight sports cars, etc as the power density increases and the cost drops dramatically.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:37 AM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by erik
Not that many folks are spending the time to figure out if their EV is more cost effective than a similar style vehicle, but most hybrids, I believe, are still not as cost effective as their gas guzzler only counterpart unless you're keeping it for over 100k miles. Having an EV with a range of 250 miles that you can charge at home provides a lot of convenience and day to day significant cost savings over gas forgetting the probable premium paid for the EV. If you can't charge at home, the math changes.
I did. When I leased my EV 8.5 years ago this was evaluated extremely. It’s way more cost effective. From lease payment to me buying it from the mfr, to paying it off the vehicle cost me $19.5k. I’ve never spent a dime fueling it in all this time. No gas anything could compete. I don’t have the range of the newer EV’s but the range isn’t needed and won’t be for 4 more years at which point I’ll sell/trade it for something with much more range but it’ll still be something on the inexpensive side (IE not a Tesla).
The following users liked this post:
erik (08-25-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 08:57 AM

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Nissan had a commercial in the 90's that said "Life is a journey, Enjoy the ride". All my drives are mundane. I don't do sport, performance or "balls to the wall". That's why for me, I want to crunch gears, and hear a motor and exhaust. That's what's important to me. People are happy with their EV's great. Just not ready to jump on that bandwagon and give up what I do enjoy about driving. Nothing "anti" about it.
Saki GT (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 12:04 PM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I work from home these days. If I want to do something mundane like go to the grocery store I'll most likely do it over my "lunch break". Nearest decent grocer is 8-9 miles away. There's a nice loop I take that allows for on ramp attacks and the occasional 90-100 mph burst. I usually get around 13 mpg doing this in the AMG. Suits me just fine.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:44 PM

Received 492 Likes on 375 Posts

I also work from home, and alot of my miles are mundane miles. It's one reason I no longer pine for a track oriented halo car, but rather something I can guiltlessly put miles on. And as the performance levels of the car drops, the more I want a manual, and a more analog experience.

But I can see how EVs can be fun, it's just different is all.
ThreeD (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 09:37 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

I saw this article on The Truth About Cars yesterday and think the guy makes a lot of good points:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ca...dodge-44496731

Saki GT (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 11:49 AM

Received 492 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I saw this article on The Truth About Cars yesterday and think the guy makes a lot of good points:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ca...dodge-44496731

Well, say what we want about EVs, I don't think an OEM can be competitive without at least offering an EV. What is interesting is considering how many brands are entering the car market with EVs, a market that has one of the highest barriers of entries, the article suggests that Dodge will have a hard time competing. It's kinda hilarious if you think about it.

Also, Dodge should be able to build something like a Hellcat or Demon for similar money in an EV, because Tesla sorta already does that.

Of all the performance cars out there that are replaceable by EVs, the LX based Mopar cars should be it. They're all heavy, not particularly good handlers, all engine sort of cars, and did I mention that they're heavy? EVs can't replace sub 3000lbs sportscars, at least not anytime soon, but a big land yacht with a ton of power? That's literally all the EVs on the market right now more or less.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:41 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Of all the performance cars out there that are replaceable by EVs, the LX based Mopar cars should be it.
The main point of the article though was that the Dodge fanbase is in love with Hemi's. I get the fondness for the torque, smoothness, and the sounds just not a fan of the size of the cars. When that rumble is gone from the equation, will the fans stay or go elsewhere?

I watched the guys at Straight Pipes do a review of that BMW i4 M50 or whatever they were calling it. The thing is fast, but they did not seem super enthused by it and yearned for the M3. They kind of got tired of the hard pulls and said it was making them nauseated, and were a little "meh" on the car. (I actually like it as a daily option) Having been in a few electrics now, the hard pull is neat, but they are more digital and sterile than anything on the market and it is hard for me as a car person to get over the fact that there is really no sensations of drama coming from the cars as it pulls toward redline. I think that is going to be a HUGE deal for a lot of people.

It is like, "There is no feedback from the electric steering coming through the 'yoke", no pleasing sound from the engine, no ripping shifts off one by one, no sensation from the brake by wire, but it goes fast. That's um, fun, I guess."
The following 2 users liked this post by vader1:
silvio1522 (08-26-2022), WolfpackS2k (08-29-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 07:17 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hopefully the synthetic fuel alternatives will bring another option to the car market. Interested to see how that will play out.