Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I test drove a Cayman S at lunch today

Old 01-17-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I test drove a Cayman S at lunch today

I've had my '01 S2000 for almost 11 years. It's not a daily driver and is mostly used for fun. Every once in a while I get the urge to buy a used Cayman S and sell it. I think the Caymans are great looking cars and will probably be a future collectible.

Anyhoo, I drove one today for the first time. It was an '06 Cayman S with 55k miles on it. Honestly, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Some of it may have had to with THAT particular car. It had more wear on the interior than one would expect for 55k miles. There was scratching on the interior panels where the seat belts attached, the leather was worn off of the shift knob and the finish was worn off of the radio/hvac controls. Also, the steering had a shimmy at highway speeds.

Other than that, here's what I thought: It's really not any more fun to drive than my S2000. It's a bit quieter on the highway, has more low end torque, the shifter is rubbery and notchy and the steering wheel felt big and wrong for the car. Also, it didn't sound as cool as my buddies GT3 and probably not any cooler than my S2000 does.

In my mind the car isn't worth the added risk and cost of ownership (IMS failure, RMS issues, higher maintenance costs). I may test drive a few lower mileage cars and see if I feel the same way.

-s
Old 01-17-2014, 01:27 PM

Please update as you do! Curious to see how a long time S owner perceives the car.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:32 PM

I probably woudn't buy one until the '09+ cars with the DFI engine moved down into my price range anyway. I'm just too worried about the IMS issue on the earlier cars.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:40 PM

I enjoyed my '07 Cayman S more than any of my S2000's, though the S2000 offers a lot more bang for the buck.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM

Hi Chris

Thanks for posting.

How long have you had your Cayman? What do you like better about it? Have you had any issues with it? Are the IMS failures overblown?

-s
Old 01-17-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I felt the same way during my test drive. Underwhelmed, everything seemed to be under an extra layer in the Cayman. More quiet, more vague steering, remote shifter linkage =/= precise, direct throws. Plus the interior on the early cars seems to be of average quality. S2000 interiors seem to wear less for the mileage (except the drivers seat bolster)
Old 01-17-2014, 05:37 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I think it's impossible to beat the "bang for the buck" fun of the s2000. Period. Cayman S's are really nice cars all around, but I don't think they're necessarily any more "fun" than the s2k, just a more refined/nicer car. The only thing in terms of performance I find "better" with the Cayman is steering feel and has good torque. If you go drive a Cayman with the expectation of the car being much better than the s2k in every aspect you're going to be disappointed.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S
I enjoyed my '07 Cayman S more than any of my S2000's, though the S2000 offers a lot more bang for the buck.
I have to agree with that on both counts. The S2000 offers an amazing driving experience for the price.

OP, like you I'm a long term S2000 owner (closing in on 12 years), who bought a Cayman S last year. My Cayman is turbocharged to 470hp/400tq. It is to the s2000 what the s2000 is to a miata. Which is to say they are both outstanding vehicles, but the Cayman elevates things to the next level.

My Cayman is my daily driver, and my wife drives the S2000 these days. I still love to take the s2000 out whenever I get the chance. The roadster experience is a visceral thing that I will always enjoy. But the Cayman trumps it in just about every analytical measure - it's more refined, has better road manners, is faster (turbo aside), and its limits are just a tad higher.

There are a few measures where the S2000 beats the Porsche. The shifter is better (obviously), although the Porsche short shifter closes that gap considerably. The S2000 has a smaller steering wheel, and a faster ratio, which makes the steering feel faster. The Porsche wins for steering feel though - arguably one of the best hydraulic racks ever put in a car. And the mid-engine is something every car enthusiast should have in their garage at least once in their lifetime.

As much as I love my S2000 (and I have no plans to get rid of it, even when my wife is ready for a new car), I absolutely adore the Cayman. The combination of looks, power, and manners make it a dream to own and drive. Even after more than a year of ownership, I'm still in awe of what this car can do when you push it. It's a poor man's exotic, as far as I'm concerned. I would have to be seriously wealthy to afford anything better than this.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Originally Posted by Chris S' timestamp='1389998444' post='22971051
I have to agree with that on both counts. The S2000 offers an amazing driving experience for the price.

OP, like you I'm a long term S2000 owner (closing in on 12 years), who bought a Cayman S last year. My Cayman is turbocharged to 470hp/400tq. It is to the s2000 what the s2000 is to a miata. Which is to say they are both outstanding vehicles, but the Cayman elevates things to the next level.

My Cayman is my daily driver, and my wife drives the S2000 these days. I still love to take the s2000 out whenever I get the chance. The roadster experience is a visceral thing that I will always enjoy. But the Cayman trumps it in just about every analytical measure - it's more refined, has better road manners, is faster (turbo aside), and its limits are just a tad higher.

There are a few measures where the S2000 beats the Porsche. The shifter is better (obviously), although the Porsche short shifter closes that gap considerably. The S2000 has a smaller steering wheel, and a faster ratio, which makes the steering feel faster. The Porsche wins for steering feel though - arguably one of the best hydraulic racks ever put in a car. And the mid-engine is something every car enthusiast should have in their garage at least once in their lifetime.

As much as I love my S2000 (and I have no plans to get rid of it, even when my wife is ready for a new car), I absolutely adore the Cayman. The combination of looks, power, and manners make it a dream to own and drive. Even after more than a year of ownership, I'm still in awe of what this car can do when you push it. It's a poor man's exotic, as far as I'm concerned. I would have to be seriously wealthy to afford anything better than this.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:23 PM

Hi Jeff

Thanks for replying. That sounds like a pretty radical setup to drive daily!

How many miles have you put on it? Have you made the LN Engineering upgrade to the IMS bearing?

-s

Quick Reply: I test drove a Cayman S at lunch today