Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I think I found my "dream car"

Old 02-17-2011, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Feb 17 2011, 12:33 PM
I placed a deposit on it. I am not quite in love with the exterior styling and therefore wanted to see one in person and testdrive it before I blew so much $$ on it.

They don't have a list as of yet but I am up there since I wired them the $$. I will probably be getting a 2012 MY. I am ok with that. I told them I really don't want the 5th car ever built in their factory . I would prefer they work their production kinks out before they built "mine".
Well played, sir. I think you're going to be pleased with the styling- it's clean so it doesn't really come across in photos or even video. I have zero doubt that in person the size, proportions and details are going look amazing without being overly flamboyant. That's all win.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOly crap, you have a deposit down! Sweet. The car is going to be a phenom. If I were you though I'd wait until the midcycle refreshing before buying. The first owners will of course be beta testing and once they work out the kinks etc the updated model (I'd assume about 2-3 years after introduction) will kill all. Kind of like the 2012 GTR.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Feb 17 2011, 01:33 PM
I placed a deposit on it.
Hell yeah
Old 02-18-2011, 05:58 AM

[QUOTE=MDXLuvr,Feb 17 2011, 12:33 PM] I placed a deposit on it.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:32 AM

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3s0Uw1ADkk [/media]
Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 AM

This is going to sound a bit crazy on a Honda board but my "budget" was $250K. I was thinking of getting a CGT for 300K as their resale is going to be much better in the long run. However with the MP4 -12C(THEY NEED A BETTER NAME) you get a CF tub like the CGT with the rigidity of a coupe(CGT is targa). So I figured coupled with a DCT is will easily outperform most entry level supercars and prolly be less expensive to maintain than a CGT. I also wanted VSC as I don't wanna find out the hard way that my driving skills can't keep up with the tail swings of a CGT.

Finally - I like the sound of the Italia and love its performance but I didn't care for the front end looks and really didn't care for the interior ergonomics. IMHO the MP4 isn't as pretty as Italia from the back but it is much lighter, more rigid, has F1 heritage and I can just put a deposit for it. No dumb Ferrari(buy a used F430 and we will put you up on the list for 458) games.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

Congrats, Ritesh! It is going to be a beast. McLaren has an extremely strong racing pedigree and their engineering is stellar. I wouldn't be too concerned about getting one of the earlier cars as I'm sure what little kinks are there will be worked out in very short order and retrofitted.

Can't wait to see it!

P.S. Running MSR 3.1 this weekend. Hope you're going too!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Feb 18 2011, 11:16 AM
This is going to sound a bit crazy on a Honda board but my "budget" was $250K. I was thinking of getting a CGT for 300K as their resale is going to be much better in the long run. However with the MP4 -12C(THEY NEED A BETTER NAME) you get a CF tub like the CGT with the rigidity of a coupe(CGT is targa). So I figured coupled with a DCT is will easily outperform most entry level supercars and prolly be less expensive to maintain than a CGT. I also wanted VSC as I don't wanna find out the hard way that my driving skills can't keep up with the tail swings of a CGT.

Finally - I like the sound of the Italia and love its performance but I didn't care for the front end looks and really didn't care for the interior ergonomics. IMHO the MP4 isn't as pretty as Italia from the back but it is much lighter, more rigid, has F1 heritage and I can just put a deposit for it. No dumb Ferrari(buy a used F430 and we will put you up on the list for 458) games.
I guess short term it will be most fun, but the first year 12c is going to be worth the least of any whereas the carrera gt will only go up in value. Of course the carrera gt with it's 6 and 12 thousand dollar services and 18 thousand dollar clutch is no joke to maintain, if you can afford it you'll actually have an investment grade vehicle rather than one that's sure to drop.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:08 PM

dude, why is everyone talking about resale and crap?
Who cares?
If you can afford this car, you should buy it and drive the shit out of it, and be prepared to have it be worth less than you paid for it.

MDX: Props for choosing this car over the other obvious options at that price. Between the GT2 RS, McLaren, 458 and whatever else falls in there I'd say the mclaren is way less "obvious" than the others.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by dombey,Feb 18 2011, 07:08 PM
dude, why is everyone talking about resale and crap?
Who cares?
If you can afford this car, you should buy it and drive the shit out of it, and be prepared to have it be worth less than you paid for it.

MDX: Props for choosing this car over the other obvious options at that price. Between the GT2 RS, McLaren, 458 and whatever else falls in there I'd say the mclaren is way less "obvious" than the others.
Easy for you to say, but when you get to this level of expenditure unless you have a net worth of 10million or more then a 100k or more loss on a toy is hard to swallow. Add to that maintainence and you are talking big dough. Then every mile you put on the car cost you 5-10 dollars of depreciation, and worn out parts that are not covered under warranty can be expensive.

It's easier to say, buy the car and drive the hell out of it if you don't consider the costs. Also most people at this level don't own one car for a long time. They buy a car drive it a year or 2 and then move on to the next best thing. Well that's a lot of depreciation add up. Depreciation that if you think about it, the money could be used for investing, college, etc. I'm not saying any of this about MDXluvr by the way, I"m saying this based on personal thoughts feelings and those of friends of mine who own cars at this level.

Quick Reply: I think I found my "dream car"