Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I want to buy a domestic car, but...

Old 07-30-2010, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx,Jul 30 2010, 11:25 AM
I think Rockville has a point here. You tend to attack anything that is domestic. I don't believe I have ever seen a positive post from you about anything domestic, ever. Honestly, that gets old.
[QUOTE=rnye,May 24 2010, 02:41 AM]Vipers are the sex.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ltswb,Jul 30 2010, 09:11 AM
QUIKAG brings up a good point that I have been thinking about lately. I think the domestics have hurt themselves with their pricing strategy. They offer bigger discounts and are more willing to come down on their price than the imports. Meaning that they build in a bigger cushion in their price up front. So if a domestic and an import are both MSRP at 30k, then you could walk out the door in the domestic for less than the import would cost. The problem lies in that when people are initially shopping cars they compare MSRP. So when they see that there is a better optioned, more reliable import with the same MSRP as the domestic they were considering, then they are more inclined to shop the import first. And they are kind of stuck with doing it this way because people who have been buying domestics know how much they have been padding their cushion and will expect to get the same discounts on any cars they buy in the future. If the domestics were to reduce that cushion, then their repeat customers are going to feel like they are getting ripped off and are likely to walk out the door. They also hurt themselves greatly by allowing their dealerships to charge over MSRP for popular cars. That practice is ridiculous and should not be allowed. It keeps potential customers away and makes people hate their dealerships even more.
That's a very good summary. When looking at new domestic car prices, even when I know it's not true I still assume the actual transaction price will be 10-15% under MSRP.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by rnye,Jul 30 2010, 09:34 AM

I don't think praise gets much better than that..
Perceptions a bitch ain't it?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by rockville,Jul 30 2010, 11:40 AM
Perceptions a bitch ain't it?
If the perception is that I don't like domestics... its true.

I've said that a million times including this thread and listed the reasons why. Do I still break neck and lust after cars like a ZR1/Ford GT/Viper, etc? Sure. They're fast and look good. My GRANDMOTHER likes Vipers.

Now when you consider they're the best these companies have to offer - that's where my hangup comes in. If thats the BEST you can do... well the rest of the lineup really starts to look shitty.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:50 AM

I thought you were done.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye,Jul 30 2010, 09:48 AM
If the perception is that I don't like domestics... its true.

I've said that a million times including this thread and listed the reasons why. Do I still break neck and lust after cars like a ZR1/Ford GT/Viper, etc? Sure. They're fast and look good. My GRANDMOTHER likes Vipers.

Now when you consider they're the best these companies have to offer - that's where my hangup comes in. If thats the BEST you can do... well the rest of the lineup really starts to look shitty.
Show me the best Honda, Toyota, and Nissan have to offer that is necessarily better in it's segment than the ZR1, Ford GT, and Viper? Honda has nothing, Toyota has the LF-A, but it's a $375k wundercar that shouldn't count, and Nissan has the GT-R which is nice, but it won't be beating many Vipers or ZR1's around the track. Maybe, the Ford GT, but it's not produced anymore anyway.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltswb,Jul 30 2010, 12:24 PM
And it is hard to respect the opinion of someone who bought a Contour SVT. lol You are attacking someone because they have a spoiler on their sports car, and you bought a "sport" version of an econo box pos.
Hey now!

The Contour SVT was a great, great car!

Best European domestic available at that time.

Did you drive one?

I did, for 4 years and 60k miles, only to sell it for a 2001.5 Audi S4.

I loved that car and only sold it to trade up.

Man, that was a fun car!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I actually used to make cold air intakes for the SVT contour guys. I bet you didn't know those motors be built to be have nasty N/A power curve with amazing throttle response. Interestingly enough its possible to do a combination of the 2.5L heads with all SVT parts and 3.0L blocks to make an excellent performing N/A setup. The chassis handled quite well too. They are great bunch of enthusiasts.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:57 PM

I still miss my CSVT. I remember meeting a guy who used to have one while I still owned mine. He traded up for an S4. "Never sell it", was his comment. The explanation being he had to jump up to the S4 before he felt like he had found a car that was better in every way (practical, fun, etc). Honda people would have been right at home with that V6. It LOVED to rev and had a powerband that was very Honda like, all in the top with a kick in around 3500 RPM. The motor also sounded great even in stock form. It was a mix of high reving V6 and Mustang V8. Very gratifying. I put 53,000 miles on the car in just two and a half years. The seats were VERY comfortable and it made for a good highway car that could still be fun in the twisties. I sold it because it was in damn near perfect shape. I had just bought a Miata as a project car. I ended up driving the Miata more often. The Contour wasn't a good hauling car because it wasn't a hatchback. I figured it was better to sell it while the car was less than three years old and replace it with something more practical that I didn't mind beating up. I still miss that car and would love to use that motor in a project car.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good description of the car and sounds.

I miss mine, too.