Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

If you have moved on from the S2000

Old 02-02-2008, 06:43 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default If you have moved on from the S2000

Especially people who have moved on to Corvette or Cayman/Boxster or 911 (etc.) or other 'better' cars?

Things I like about the S2000 which I'd miss is it's simple direct controls. Like every fraction of an inch movement of the gas or steering or brakes has an effect. And it's simple honest without a lot of filters in-between the car and driver.

Also I like it's light weight tossable and of course the drop-top is NICE when I can use it but not a enough here in the north-east.

It's shifter and clutch also is the best I ever have used.

What I don't like the S2000 is the tight fit for me (I'm 6'2") and the poor sound system. I could have (should have) done something about a long time ago. Also the S2000 is a poor HW car. Especially with my gears it's turning near-5000 at 80mph and it's too loud at HW speeds.

I am trying to decide if the good things outweigh the bad and if I was getting a new 'better' car is it could have most of the good features but take away some of the bad things.

I would imagine a car like an Elise with non-power steering would have things I like about the S2000 even more but things I dislike about the S2000 (HW driving etc..) would be worse.

A car like the M3 would be much better on the HW and more room and better sound system and such but probably miss out on the lightness and fun-ness.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I"ve had my S2K since 2000 (I can't believe it is an 8 year old car!). Every year or two i start lusting after "better" cars. The P car, the M cars, etc. But then I take the S2K for a spirited drive on winding roads and row throught the gears, (2 through 4) and I come back and tell my wife that I can't really sell the S2K. It's going to be a keeper; even when I end up buying a "better" car. She's even promised me an F car if I behave in terms of car purchases. We'll see.

The best feature by far is the directness of the gear box -- I've tried a lot of them and there is no comparison. I just love the the 2-3 shift and the 3-2 shift when I nail it perfectly.

I just got a pair of Piloti driving shoes and the HT is much easier.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:59 AM

I've owned 2 S2000's, a 2000 AP1 and a 2004 AP2. The thing I miss most is the glove like feel of the car, especially when weaving through traffic. On the other hand, my 2006 STi is a lot faster, handles better, seats 4, and as of 2 days ago has a bangin' system to boot. The exhaust notes on both cars are infectious, but in different ways, but I prefer my Subie's 3 incher.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned my '00 NFR S for 5 years before switching to my current 987S. Things I miss most about my S:

1. Gearbox, first and foremost.
2. Racy, direct throttle/engine response and, of course, the 9K RPM
2. Cockpit interior and digital gauge - it fitted me perfectly like surgical gloves and the digital gauge was a huge selling point for me
2. Thick and ergonomic steering wheel
4. On the edge feel
5. When people ask me what I drive, I can reply with, "a Honda."
Old 02-02-2008, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't miss the directness of the controls, b/c they're no worse in the CS, and the steering has much, much better feel...it communicates every nuance of the road surface, which adds to my driving enjoyment no matter how fast or slow I'm going. Likewise, it also feels very light and tossable - it seems like the mid-engine config. hides the little incremental weight.

The clutch took some getting used to, as I stalled it several times during my first week. The stock shifter was much smoother w/ longer throws, but I haven't grinded a gear once since switching cars. The OEM short shifter has very short throws, takes a bit more effort, but still no grinding and smoother. It's perhaps the favorite shifter I've used so far.

The main thing I miss about the S2000 is the $30+K that disappear from my bank and brokerage accounts after buying it. I miss dropping the top at times, but also appreciate the quietness, security, solidity, and extra room of the coupe. I have missed the 9K redline while inadvertently hitting the rev limiter, but given a choice I now prefer a wide, torquey powerband.

Overall, the nicest thing about the switch is that the CS captures the S2000's best qualities in a roomier, much more comfortable, and daily drivable package.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:41 PM
rai

Originally Posted by Chris S,Feb 2 2008, 01:28 PM

Overall, the nicest thing about the switch is that the CS captures the S2000's best qualities in a roomier, much more comfortable, and daily drivable package.
this is what I'm looking for. Is the Cayman rally more roomie? I drove a previous gen Boxster S and didn't think it was a lot more room, especially I have long legs so many cars I drove run out of legroom.

Surely the CS is nice and would be one of the lower weight options. I don't like that the M3 costs just about the same (maybe less?) than the CS with it's V8 power.

If I am going to keep the S2000 a M3 would be a nice addition, but if I was replacing the S2000 I'd want a more nimble car such as the Cayman.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you spend an off day visiting some dealerships and trying to make your own determination? This one is 47 miles from Mt. Airy. I guarantee they'll give you a test drive w/ no hassle.

Foreign Cars Europa
336-294-0200 5603 Roanne Way
Greensboro, NC, 27409

The CS feels quite a bit roomier to me, esp. in shoulder/elbow room. Leg room isn't all it could be, but it's fine.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:01 PM

I sold my S2000 in October 2007 and moved on to a 986 Boxster S.

So far I've missed the most:

1-The shifter

2-The quick steering response

3-The extremely low driving position and the way my right palm would naturally ''fall'' on the shifter with my arm extended

4-A limited-slip differential: getting stuck in deep snow with only 1 wheel spinning sucks

5-Being able to tell people I drive a Honda when they ask me ''what kind of convertible is that?''

Now the #1 thing I DON'T miss in the S2000: The numb-artificial steering. While the Boxster S may have a slower steering response, it makes it up by communicating every road changes-what the front tires are doing at ALL TIMES.

In my old S2000 I would get the same numb steering response no matter what the car was doing. I guess the crappy steering feel with no vibrations coming through the steering wheel is a tradeoff for the ultra-quick steering response.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:28 PM

I moved from S2K to many different cars (EVO VIII, MINI Cooper S (both SCed and turbo), 997S, 335i,...) The things I missed the most were the convertible top, the shifter, and the red interior that I loved.
The S2K steering was nice and quick but I preferred the ones in EVO, 997, and the turbo MINI. I had the optional short shifter in the 997. While the throw is stiffer and longer, it has more positive feel than the S2K.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:56 PM
rai

Originally Posted by Mark_is300,Feb 2 2008, 03:28 PM
I moved from S2K to many different cars (EVO VIII, MINI Cooper S (both SCed and turbo), 997S, 335i,...) The things I missed the most were the convertible top, the shifter, and the red interior that I loved.
The S2K steering was nice and quick but I preferred the ones in EVO, 997, and the turbo MINI. I had the optional short shifter in the 997. While the throw is stiffer and longer, it has more positive feel than the S2K.
you have had a lot of cars.

My problem is I'm a pack-rat in general and I'd hate to get rid of the S2000 while I still enjoy it. But at the same time can't justify having more than so many cars at one time.

I am considering a STi/EVO/A4 etc.. and keep the S2000.

It'd be nice to have the vert from time to time, but I don't see myself buying a different vert since I prefer a coupe for the most part. I have the hardtop on the S2000 4 months out of the year.

Quick Reply: If you have moved on from the S2000