Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I'm an idiot (car accident)

Old 09-30-2003, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm an idiot (car accident)

Just thought I'd share my story with you guys...

I just got my license 3 weeks ago (I'm 17) and I was driving my 93 Camry on a relatively wet day. I put my blinker on to turn left and look in the rear view mirror. I see a huge red figure coming at me way too fast and then BOOM. I got hit in the back by a Ford van. We both went off to the side. I got out of my vehicle and the guy driving the van did also. At the time, I was very shocked and decided I didn't want my parents knowing about the accident. The guy agreed to pay me some money up front. I took the money like an idiot and signed a paper stating that we weren't going to report it. Well I drove away like an idiot with $95 and went to my friends shop. He told me that I was an idiot (once again) and that the damages were at least $1500 to fix. I decided the damage was totally noticable and went home. I decided to be honest and told my parents what had happened. When they found out that I signed the paper I thought they were gonna hang me. We went to the police station and filed a report and notifed our insurance company (also, another thing that was going on through my head was that I didn't want the insurance to go up since it's extremely high already.)

To conclude my story, I'm an idiot.

Now can you guys tell me if there is any way I can get this guy to pay for the damages even though I signed that paper, considering that I'm underage?

Thanks a whole lot, and please don't call me an idiot.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:09 PM

Well maybe you signed the paper, but your parent's didn't, and they are the owner's of the car, not you. That might be a working loophole. Don't be so hard on yourself; you live and you learn. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the law in most states you have to be 18 years old to sign a contract. It is unenforceable in many states. You may want to consult an attorney.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:37 PM

Your username gave it away dude!!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:10 PM

dude. why would u accept 98 bucks n think u can fix it. people like u shouldn't be driving at all.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:18 PM

dumbass
Old 09-30-2003, 08:21 PM

well, I just got in a car wreck myself, I was pretty much a dumbass also(by the way it happened) but I did call the cops and my insurance company

hey, it could have been a LOT worse, so buck up

this stuff happens for a reason

you'll understand later
Old 09-30-2003, 08:22 PM

hope you learn the lesson
Old 09-30-2003, 09:38 PM

dont worry too much. at least you did the right thing and now you learn. i think you got a great shot at getting this repaired through insurance.

sang

good luck!
Old 09-30-2003, 09:59 PM

Well you learn from your mistakes I guess. Helps to know a bit more about cars in general too in those situations cause in 99% of cars getting rearended the damage is definately not going to be $95. Just think for a second, one taillight on your Camy is gonna be that much. But oh well you can probably get out of that contract you signed. Good luck!

Quick Reply: I'm an idiot (car accident)