Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I'm looking for 40mpg

Old 03-02-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Incubus,Mar 2 2007, 05:16 PM
What about a Fit?
Well for one thing, the Fit costs 7 to 10x what a 15 year old Civic does...

Andrew
Old 03-02-2007, 01:23 PM

That 15yr old honda looks much nicer than a fit IMO. I'm prepared to do a lot of work on the hatch but i was just wondering what will suffice?
Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 PM

If that Civic hatch was what you were planning on buying, I'd say get it. One in that kind of shape probably won't last long in your hands though.

That's one of the hottest Civic hatches I've ever seen. Nice, clean, simple. No wacky body kits...
Old 03-02-2007, 02:29 PM
jah

i own a 92 honda-vx 140Kmiles, bought it 2years ago.

identify the car by the 8spoke alloy wheels and the engine code D15Z1, the honda-cx has steal wheels and a none vtec engine, some exterior differences too.

i can not say a bad thing the car. i even like the looks of the thingy. it runs super, no need to rebuild the engine. smooth ride, reliable.

upon purchase i replaced:
fuel filter, bitch to get to
air, oil
plugs, wires, distributer
belts
timing belt, the engine ran smoother afterwards
the o2 sensor looked new

known bad:
the clutch is weak but not gone all the way
valve cover leaks leaks at the ends left right, think i need to replace the end caps
turn signal bulb sockets are weak
summer temperatures 100F fuel vapor lock

the car has a red line of about 7.3K, you will never use it but it will willingly get there. in 5th gear you are doing usually 2K rpm so the gearing is odd in this one. maybe the reason they got the hi gas millage rating. the vtec point is someplace maybe 4K but you never feel it unless you are looking hard. the car will easily keep up in trafic and is functional on the freeway. you will notice the handling characteristics of a light car, it has a good feel and stays on the road. No power steering, you dont need it. the engine runs smooooth, no nose what so ever.

i have gotten maybe 45mpg but that is an actual number and considering its age i feel fine with it. as a new car it could have gotten close to 45mpg anyways. its hard to find people who had this car new, they are all dead or have become stupid so you are on your own to figure this out. i dont even know if the rating method is the same.

the interior is comftorable and excellent for a long drive. plenty of leg room in the front. with the rear seats folded down you can fit a very huge volume of cargo. i have 3 90pound dogs and they ride with me and wife ok. i came up to one on my sportbike. there at the light from the point of view sitting on the bike the car looked sooo very tiny. very efficient use of interior space.

honda made many civic models 92-95 and the shop manual attempts to cover all of them. hard to get specific details if your doing a complex task.

as any light weight car the winter snow handling is just not there. only moderate performance here

theft is a possibility because its a very light weight platform that you can put any 5th gen honda shiz into.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,Mar 2 2007, 03:18 PM
If that Civic hatch was what you were planning on buying, I'd say get it. One in that kind of shape probably won't last long in your hands though.

That's one of the hottest Civic hatches I've ever seen. Nice, clean, simple. No wacky body kits...
Oh trust me. If i get one, it will be like almost 100% like that. Color and everything. My only thing is trying to make the engine as efficient as possible. Yes i kno it'll be slow as molasses but at least it'll look nice.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by jah,Mar 2 2007, 03:29 PM
i own a 92 honda-vx 140Kmiles, bought it 2years ago.

identify the car by the 8spoke alloy wheels and the engine code D15Z1, the honda-cx has steal wheels and a none vtec engine, some exterior differences too.

i can not say a bad thing the car. i even like the looks of the thingy. it runs super, no need to rebuild the engine. smooth ride, reliable.

upon purchase i replaced:
fuel filter, bitch to get to
air, oil
plugs, wires, distributer
belts
timing belt, the engine ran smoother afterwards
the o2 sensor looked new

known bad:
the clutch is weak but not gone all the way
valve cover leaks leaks at the ends left right, think i need to replace the end caps
turn signal bulb sockets are weak
summer temperatures 100F fuel vapor lock

the car has a red line of about 7.3K, you will never use it but it will willingly get there. in 5th gear you are doing usually 2K rpm so the gearing is odd in this one. maybe the reason they got the hi gas millage rating. the vtec point is someplace maybe 4K but you never feel it unless you are looking hard. the car will easily keep up in trafic and is functional on the freeway. you will notice the handling characteristics of a light car, it has a good feel and stays on the road. No power steering, you dont need it. the engine runs smooooth, no nose what so ever.

i have gotten maybe 45mpg but that is an actual number and considering its age i feel fine with it. as a new car it could have gotten close to 45mpg anyways

the interior is comftorable and excellent for a long drive. plenty of leg room in the front. with the rear seats folded down you can fit a huge volume of cargo. i came up to one on my sportbike. standing there at the light from the point of view sitting on the bike the car looked sooo tiny. very efficient use of interior space.

honda made many civic models 92-95 and the shop manual attempts to cover all of them. hard to get specific details if your doing a complex task.

as any light weight car the winter snow handling is just not there. only moderate performance here

theft is a possibility because its a very light weight platform that you can put any 5th gen honda shiz into.
Wow awesome review man! You answered a lot of unasked questions i had. I must start the search for one thats in good condition.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:51 PM
jah

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Mar 2 2007, 03:35 PM
Oh trust me. If i get one, it will be like almost 100% like that. Color and everything. My only thing is trying to make the engine as efficient as possible. Yes i kno it'll be slow as molasses but at least it'll look nice.
[/IMG]
get new tires, use care to get something the same size but get the new low rolling friction tires.

the wheels are super light as is on the vx

the car is actually NOT slow from a daily driver standpoint. flat road 90-100mph easy.
super good handling.

there is nothing you can do for the engine: this is car explores the absolute limits of hatchy technology mid 90's.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you can find a good EG that doesn't require a rebuild. I had a CRX that didn't have any problems, and that car is much older.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy an Insight.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:47 PM

Used Toyota MR2 Spyder $8-10K (2000-2001)
Bolt in toyota 2zz Engine swap $4K

2100lbs
180hp
36-40mpg
Mid-Engine
RWD

Enjoy

Quick Reply: I'm looking for 40mpg