Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Irony leads to car shopping

Old 07-18-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 1,115 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1468856643' post='24019162
I don't even think I have ever seen a rapide in person

British car breaks down, welp, time to buy another!
+1, strange train of thought, unreliable British car breaks down let's buy a bigger heavier one with more electronics that's even more expensive to repair.
CARMAX is your friend.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:54 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by zdave87
CARMAX is your friend.
No Astons currently on CarMax.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Evora fixed and enjoy it longer, you said you were intending it to last you at least another year! Until you're tired of it or you feel it is worth upgrading to a new one like the 400, or going an entirely different route--like an F type or Aston?

As others have pointed out, it sounds like you're wanting to go from one expensive, high maintenance and not necessarily reliable car, to another in your original post. That just doesn't seem to make all that much economical sense to me, though of course with us car enthusiasts we tend to sometimes, (though not always!) factor out the economical cost over passion for a car.

Also the Jaguar F Type should not be overlooked if thinking about an Aston, it's an amazing looking car and I turn my head every time I see one regardless of which exact model. Looks like great build quality and the interior looks about as nice as that of an Aston as well. Not to mention the advantage of going new over used, spending the same amount of money for a brand new car as a used one. The F Type R is nearly to die for, but is a supercharged V8 churning out over 500 horses really necessary for you? It could potentially end up costing as much as the used Aston. If they had an NA V8, that would be a nice option, but the supercharged six makes lots of power (up to 380 hp) and seems to be a good motor from my knowledge. And the F Type S is an extremely good looking car, there is even a British version that comes in a knockout worthy gorgeous sky blue color or a deep burgundy red more sophisticated and elegant looking color.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:30 AM

I am Jaguar fan and the F-type has been a consideration. I find the XKR to look nicer, but I have already owned an XK. Something about the F-type styling is not doing much for me... We are thinking an XK/XKR convertible as a possible Volvo replacement.

I am picking up the Evora on Friday from the dealer. $1600 for a door latch and clutch master cylinder. I think that brings me to around 5K this year spent and there's more to go. I need to get the headlights clear-bra'd or refinished. The clear coat is flaking around the lights. It's a known issue on the older Evora's; about $800 to fix. I intend to do it at the end of the season as it'll be down for a few days. I know costs are a part of the game, that is why I did not buy a car too expensive; I need to have maintenance money available in lieu of new car warranty. That Toyota engine has never been one of the problems; just runs like a charm.

I just start getting "want new car syndrome" when my friends start buying/talking new cars. I tend not to go much over 3 year on a car simply because there are too many other cars I would like to own. The Alfa 4C has come up in conversation. I need to drive that one. FCA has great warranties, financing, and the big auto dealer groups may offer me the best trade-in. Local Aston-Lotus dealer is a stand alone operation; very rare in today's auto dealership world.

I am now committed to waiting until next season or patiently looking until that ultimate car comes around if earlier... I would really like to buy it from the local dealer, but they only get so many cars and we haven't discussed what my trade-in would be worth just yet. Other Lotus dealers have given a generous trade-in amount, but I would have to ship them the car & have their car shipped to me...
Old 07-21-2016, 04:35 AM

Received 1,115 Likes on 993 Posts

I hope those issues are covered by a warranty.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by zdave87
I hope those issues are covered by a warranty.
The warranty expired in Oct 2014. There was plenty that was covered over the years. This car was originally sold by the same local dealer, so I know its whole history. I try to maintain it to the highest standards.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by white98ls' timestamp='1468864967' post='24019338
I have seen a Rapide up close. Utterly gorgeous inside and out. Was this one a pre-bigmouth update one?
Yes it is. The Rapide S has the big mouth, but too expensive for me.
Good that it's not. I don't understand what they were thinking with that big mouth front end. Ruins the car.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by cbehney
Good that it's not. I don't understand what they were thinking with that big mouth front end. Ruins the car.
Pedestrian Impact Laws in Europe is the main reason from what I read.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:21 AM

We are going to look at 2012 Maserati GranTurismo S today at the local Ferrari dealer. One owner, nice color combo and seems like a decent price. I have never driven one, but I like the real back seat and larger trunk. I figure this would be easier to own with several Maserati dealers locally.

What do you think?

Old 07-31-2016, 07:16 AM

So, we drove the car yesterday and it left me on fence on what to do. The car was beautiful all around. It had black chrome around the windows and tail pipe I did not care for. Looking into whether that can be realistically swapped out for chrome standard one. The GranTurismo did not have chassis stiffness of the Rapide, nor was the leather detailing as nice. Still very nice; don't get me wrong. The Maserati seemed more like a Caddy to me; driving there in the Lotus. Compared to my XK, the GranTurismo was faster, bigger, heavier and had a more complete dashboard layout. I really didn't get to push the Maserati through its paces. It was a simple drive down a mile of HWY and then around back to the dealer. It didn't have the pinpoint handling feel of the 991 or Lotus (the last two sports I have driven). The Maserati is a little of everything, but will that be enough.

Basically I can get into the GranTurismo for what I am paying now, trading in my Lotus with no cash out of pocket.

Anyone have anything to advice, add, or whatever?

If I don't buy this one, I am sure to look at 4C, but is a toy car really what I should be looking at? I like how it's an automatic so my better half can also drive. The 4C has a long warranty and great financing rates. Looks like a work or art too. A little less storage the S2000, and no room for our corgi if we all want to go somewhere. I think the 4C will hold its value pretty well.

Quick Reply: Irony leads to car shopping