Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Keep S and mod? go to 07 STI?

Old 05-02-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's tough descision, I currently have an STI but I will soon be back in an S2000, the feel and joy the HONDA gives me I can't get from the STI.
Don't get me wrong the STI is an awesme car, I prefer to drive an STI all day long before a base Corvette. Now the countdown begins for the ladies to walk into the room screaming... 3...2...1...

An STI at 400HP+ is no joke.

S2000 > STI in overall satisfaction in my opinion.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Money,May 2 2008, 01:24 PM
I live like 15-20 min from willow springs.. have ALWAYS wanted to go so bad but I am just so scared of going off and hitting something.
Once you take your S2k to the track, you will immediately notice something important, the car fails in one department only, which is the driver. even dead stock the car is great on the track, and it takes a lot of skills not power to get fast, when you go to HPDE you will find all sorts of cars there, the funny part is that power and modification has nothing to do with speed, I passed a lot of C6 Corvettes, and I got passed by Minis and Miatas.
You will not crash if you drive within your comfort zone, and with more experience on the track, you will find out that modification of the car goes in the opposite way of what street racers do, you starts with brakes and tires first, and you mod the engine last, and that's very cost effective, and it's more fun.
Honestly, there is no point of driving 400 Whp on public roads, by the time you start enjoying the power, you are already above the speed limit, put the power where it belongs; the race track.
You mod the car and like what said in previous post, you are investing in a depreciating asset.
Putting the money in Track days/Driving school means modifying your driving skills, and investing in a greatly appreciating asset(You).
Just my $0.02
Old 05-02-2008, 05:47 PM

boosted S ftw
Old 05-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Banned

However, in the S2000's defense, the STi gets MUCH worse gas mileage,
Wrong.

400hp in an STi is approx. 340WHP.
Wrong.

My advice to you: stick w/ your unbeatable stock Honda reliability,
That made me spit up Pepsi. Seriously three S2000's and 8 years deep into this ... the S2000 is not the poster child of reliability.

Once you take your S2k to the track, you will immediately notice something important, the car fails in one department only, which is the driver.
We must visit different tracks. The car fails in a number of areas, suspension and brakes in particular. The early cars 00-01 are the best stock for stock. Subsequent versions "pussified" the vehicle to the point at which after 04 who really cares I suppose.

Honestly, there is no point of driving 400 Whp on public roads
LOL. Sure dude, it really really sucks. We might as well all stop at 50 hp or so because who needs more.

So I picked up a 07 Sti cheap last fall to use as a shuttle to the mountains this past winter. You know what? I'm keeping it. Fast, room for four, easy to modify and cheap. Is it the S2000? Well .. **** no the roof refuses to lower itself no matter how many times I try and there are these things in back called seats that other people keep sitting in.

Is it faster than my S2000 after I spent 90 bucks on a tactrix cable? Man it is not even ****ing close at 6000 feet of elevation.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by steviec,May 2 2008, 11:11 PM
We must visit different tracks. The car fails in a number of areas, suspension and brakes in particular. The early cars 00-01 are the best stock for stock. Subsequent versions "pussified" the vehicle to the point at which after 04 who really cares I suppose.
Here we go again, another one of those AP1 rules and AP2 for pussies
Old 05-03-2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by steviec,May 3 2008, 03:11 AM
The car fails in a number of areas, suspension and brakes in particular. The early cars 00-01 are the best stock for stock. Subsequent versions "pussified" the vehicle to the point at which after 04 who really cares I suppose.
WRONG!
Old 05-03-2008, 11:48 AM

My friend has a 2007 STI and like its fun and all because of the torque, but the driving experience just doesn't match. You're going to like the STI for a while, but eventually you're just going to get bored of it. I say keep the S2000 and turbo it or something.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:10 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I was with in a few inches of selling mine. Then i got to thinking, hell its paid for. I put on a set of RE-30s, REO-1Rs and a FIPK. Im happy again.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Money,May 2 2008, 11:39 AM
Hey I wanted some s2k opinions on this matter, and mainly I want to look in to this simply because I want the funnest way out...for the best price... if this makes sense.

for example my 03' S has 35k miles, pretty much mint besides few rock chips, about stock. I am thinking about keeping it, and throwing on some sort of FI, and putting on simple mods such as suspension, exhaust, etc.

Other choice is to get an 07 STI, which WILL be more expensive but I wanted to get something with less than 20k miles, so i will be getting a newer car all around. I am wondering what I would be getting myself into if i wanted to go with around 350-400whp on a daily driver for the sti, if reliability and power go hand in hand like that with the sti. BIG kicker here, for me, is the extra cost on the newer car, and the insurance WILL be quite a bit more, maybe...

So basically from a poor mans financial point of view...

would it be OK to boost the s2k to about 300-350whp without reliability taking a big hit?

OR would the insurance be minimal over the s2k in an 07 sti, and would it be smarter to mod a car thats significantly newer, and would be easier on the engine to extract that amount of HP....reliably.

I am really just in it for the cost to fun factor... I am a pretty poor college student for now and it would be one hell of a stretch to try to get an 07 STI alone...let alone mod it..it would take a couple years.

I am just worried if I FI my s2k, it will just...blow up or will be broken down all the time or something... I drive it like... 40 miles a week tops right now, but sometimes it has to be my daily driver... and if my s2k blows up and i just spent 5k on a turbo... now I have to pay for an engine...things will quickly add up to an STI

Opinions? Ever find yourself with these thoughts?
I would keep the S2000. I'd imagine being a college student that you are pretty strapped for cash. You dont need the extra stress of an increased mortgage, insurance, and gas costs. God forbid you bite off more than you can chew and end up damaging your credit.

Enjoy the S2000 (besides chicks love convertibles) If you really feel the need to go FI, slap in a set of gears and call it a day.

Once you are out of college and making good coin, get your dream car.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:05 PM

wow, thank you guys for everyones responses! I will probably keep the S and do some mods and such, I do love the car. I just always get a feeling that I could get in to another car for equal value that is better all around...but I am starting to see that may not be reality.

Quick Reply: Keep S and mod? go to 07 STI?