Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Land Rover Discovery vs Volvo XC90 vs X5

Old 06-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own an XC90 and had an 850 turbo sedan for 11 years. I'll second the claim that Volvo has the best engineered seats in the industry. And my Volvo's have been dead reliable while not that expensive to maintain.

With that said, if you're looking for a big SUV that will go the distance, and tow, and be cheap to maintain, look at a used Tahoe or Yukon Denali if you want a bit more luxury. We had the Denali from 02-06 and I wouldn't have gotten rid of it but for the fact that my wife (5'3") hated the size. She had to use the running boards to climb in and out. And she wasn't comfortable parking it in the garage or supermarket parking spaces. But, she loved OnStar and the big truck based SUV was much better suited to towing. I had 1,200 lbs in the cargo area once and the air suspension leveled it out nicely. The LS engines are a damned good piece of engineering and together with GM automatic transmissions the drivetrain is pretty smooth and efficient. As long as it's not a daily driver, it's really not that thirsty on the highway (high teens). Ours was quiet and the ride was surprisingly (to me) luxurious but well controlled.

A guy I work with has an 09 Land Rover and I believe he said the thing has been in the shop 13 times in two years. I don't even have the heart to make fun of it any more. Don't know why anyone would buy one of those overpriced pieces of crap.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

thanks for the review spudracer, unfortunately I went to check out the lexus today and it was in a little more rougher shape than the pictures depicted. There was some missing paint and the engine bay was a little bit dirty but the car drove extremely well. Ill have to think this one over. Im supposed to check out a Tahoe tomorrow so we shall see.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife loves the looks of the XC90 (she’s due a “new” car soon). They have major transmission issues. It is somewhat related to which engine you have (the more power, the high the odds of it going). I like them too (and the used prices are good), but I would hate to need a $7k transmission replacement.

I like the X5 (she isn’t as crazy about them), but am concerned at the cost of ownership with them also. It’s tough to think of paying the maintenance coast for a European import after only driving Honda’s for a number of years. In the end, it will probably be a Pilot or MDX for us. It doesn’t matter how nice it is if it isn’t reliable.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

New ride should be picked up in a few hours, pics to come!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:08 PM

I had a RX350 for a short time (couple weeks, got bored and swapped it for a GS).

It was nice. Not sure how well it would tow, and it won't fit 6 people as you stated in your needs. Got decent gas mileage and rode like a ES.

I'm considering picking up a 2013 F sport RX because I miss the cargo space
Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, are any of the Landy's good, realiable rigs? I drove a Defender for a day in Aruba and that thing was a blast! The trip was about 85% offroad though.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:58 PM

My advice is none - if you have 11,500 to spend I assume thats in cash and I would suggest you lease a new vehicle with it - the x5's are fine but very expensive to maintain while newer years come with 3 years all inclusive. Also of those I can't see them lasting to 200K without major expenditures.

Personally I would lease a new pilot and then at the lease end decide to buy it out or lease something new. I am sure 11,5 would be sufficient enough to pay the bulk of any lease upfront.

Landrovers especially the old ones are good trucks for enthusiasts who don't mind wrenching but as a family vehicle I would say no.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by North Star
So, are any of the Landy's good, realiable rigs? I drove a Defender for a day in Aruba and that thing was a blast! The trip was about 85% offroad though.
ABC Tours?
Old 06-06-2012, 03:02 PM

I've owned a number of Rover's including Discos. They will always get my vote. They're not unreliable if you pay attention to maintenance.

Mike
Old 06-06-2012, 04:21 PM

Funny how the people who've actually owned a Land Rover seem to like them but there is never a shortage of people who claim they are garbage. I'd listen to someone who actually owned the vehicle in question over people just repeating negative things they've heard. But that's just me.

Quick Reply: Land Rover Discovery vs Volvo XC90 vs X5