Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Looking for Daily Driver

Old 03-12-2013, 06:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove two TSX yesterday (2004 & 2005) and 1 RSX Type-S (2005) and it feels weird but I think I like the TSX better. All 3 cars were stock and the TSX was definitely more comfortable but I was still able to toss it around sweepers and corners comfortably. To preface that, I was able to test drive the second TSX withOUT the saleman so I didn't feel pressured to drive like-a-sir. haha, the RSX-S was a friend of a friend's car so I didn't want to push it much. The RSX definitely had tighter steering in suspension but the feel of the car left something to be desired, had more road noise, and was a bit bumpy but that's to be expected of the chassis I suppose. I need to drive one again to get a second opinion but I think I'll stick with the TSX.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

I personally wouldn't buy a fwd car, so that right there limits the choices to the Subarus you posted. Lots of great options even in that brand though.

Otherwise, there is a Mini Countryman or Nissan Juke- awd, good mpg, still fun, but probably too expensive. Plus, you may not be a fan of the looks.

I'd go back to Subarus - fun. reliable, in your price range, and plenty of options among Imprezas, Forresters, Legacys and Outbacks.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd probably go with an MS3 if I were in the market right now. For AWD, I'd go with a Subaru. My STi wasn't too bad and average 24mpg (thanks to the 6 speed).
Old 03-12-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 04 is300 5spd for sale
Old 03-12-2013, 04:58 PM
LFK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RavynX
I test drove two TSX yesterday (2004 & 2005) and 1 RSX Type-S (2005) and it feels weird but I think I like the TSX better. All 3 cars were stock and the TSX was definitely more comfortable but I was still able to toss it around sweepers and corners comfortably. To preface that, I was able to test drive the second TSX withOUT the saleman so I didn't feel pressured to drive like-a-sir. haha, the RSX-S was a friend of a friend's car so I didn't want to push it much. The RSX definitely had tighter steering in suspension but the feel of the car left something to be desired, had more road noise, and was a bit bumpy but that's to be expected of the chassis I suppose. I need to drive one again to get a second opinion but I think I'll stick with the TSX.
Let me know which one you tested and where, that way I won't buy it.

If I had to buy between RSX and TSX, definitely TSX. Should be cheaper to insure just on the virtue of 4-doors, right? Plus you get to have 4-doors which is better for kids and grown-ups.

@ $8-12K, you actually have a lot of choices (If reliability, ownership costs, mileage are important). You're limited by what type of car you can get (mostly FWD), but that's where the most variety of vehicles are anyways.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd go subaru as well. The boosted motors really are perfect for dd! Awd is nice as well! I test drove some fwd turbo cars and it just really sucks in comparison imo. Torque steer all over and just does not have a good feel.
I was sold once I drove a 2008 legacy gt. I liked the wrx and sti but all of them had crappy cloth interiors with no feel of luxury. Legacy gt gives you the power as well as a fairly decent interior that I thought made for a perfect daily driver without breaking the bank. Had it for 2 months now and loving it.

Civic si sedan was fairly fun to drive as well. Looks much better than the si coupe imo and drives the same. They both feel incredibly slow I thought but besides that fun.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Moddiction
I'd go subaru as well. The boosted motors really are perfect for dd! Awd is nice as well! I test drove some fwd turbo cars and it just really sucks in comparison imo. Torque steer all over and just does not have a good feel.
I was sold once I drove a 2008 legacy gt. I liked the wrx and sti but all of them had crappy cloth interiors with no feel of luxury. Legacy gt gives you the power as well as a fairly decent interior that I thought made for a perfect daily driver without breaking the bank. Had it for 2 months now and loving it.

Civic si sedan was fairly fun to drive as well. Looks much better than the si coupe imo and drives the same. They both feel incredibly slow I thought but besides that fun.
I test drove a friend's 2007 Legacy 2.5i and it was fun from a start but felt really floaty driving it and the power kinda fell on its face on the highway. I really wanted to drive a Legacy GT but after seeing MPG estimates on NASIOC of 17-19 city and 24 highway I wanted to look at other cars. =/

I feel the same about Subaru WRX interiors and their cheap cloth.

The 06 Civic Si coupe's steering was a bit too twitchy for my tastes.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by LFK
Originally Posted by RavynX' timestamp='1363099037' post='22398269
Let me know which one you tested and where, that way I won't buy it.

If I had to buy between RSX and TSX, definitely TSX. Should be cheaper to insure just on the virtue of 4-doors, right? Plus you get to have 4-doors which is better for kids and grown-ups.

@ $8-12K, you actually have a lot of choices (If reliability, ownership costs, mileage are important). You're limited by what type of car you can get (mostly FWD), but that's where the most variety of vehicles are anyways.
It was this one: http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ctd/3644505872.html but I think they wholesaled it b/c we gave told them what all was wrong with the car and now it's off of their website's inventory, hehe. Tap water spills around radiator, greasy hoses in engine bay, slow startup, hesitation on acceleration, click in the clutch pedal, wiring screwed into the underside dash, warped rotors, steering wheel was out of alignment 10 degrees, couldn't shift to 5th gear when stopped, etc.

I first wanted a $3k Prelude I could pay cash for and then I figured I'd want something nicer for a daily driver and bumped my budget up into the small-loan territory where I'd be paying less than $200/mo with a 1.99% loan but I've stepped into the territory of paying a car payment AND maintenance payments which can be troublesome. My girlfriend, who hoons in almost any kind of car, said to check out the Mazda 2 and Ford Fiesta. We had a Fiesta for 6 months but ended up trading it in for her truck; it was an okay car I suppose. I couldn't comfortably heel-toe downshift to have fun in the corners but getting 34-40mpg on 87 octane was quite nice.