Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Looking for input on SUV vehicles

Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Subaru Forester is a reasonably fun Crossover/SUV. I own one, because having the option of a manual is nice. I just came back from driving a rental (Dodge Dart) and my Forester feels like it handles better (than a car). I love my Subaru.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
H3 = piece of crap. I rented an Alpha for a few days in Colorado (V8 under the hood) and it was still bad. Slow, bad on gas and just not fun to drive. Looked okay but that was about it.

I'm with Saki GT - 4Runner is a great choice, as is a Pilot or MDX.

For a more expensive SUV, I'd go with a slightly older Lexus - GX470, probably. It's not as fun to drive but it'll last forever, looks good inside and has more room than anything you mentioned.

X5 = expensive to fix. My boss has the 4.8is and had a hydraulic shock go out. Very expensive fix, considering on a normal car it'd be quite cheap. If it doesn't have a warranty, prepare to get raped at some point.
He's right. The explorer isn't a bad value (that's all that matters) but an h3? To each their own but I can't see a single positive for that vehicle. If you want luxury, do yourself a favor and look up lex SUVs. You can get a great one for a lot less than an x5 and its a better quality vehicle. That or an Infiniti. X5 handles and drives better but used and out if warranty you could end up in some serious pain (btw I really like x5s).
Old 02-23-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If hauling space isn't too important, don't forget to consider Infiniti FX35s.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of good input here. Thank you!!!

Not knowing any reliability issues with any of the SUVs I mentioned, I am just going by looks alone. In my eyes, Pilot, MDX, 4Runner, Pathfinder, aren't very appealing to me. I do like the classic look of the Toyota FJ Cruiser but it only has 2.5 doors. I was a HUGE fan of the FX45/50 since its considered a 'street' sport truck, until I saw one up close and saw the interior. Long story short, I am no longer a fan.

I drove a brand new (then) 2006 GX470 before, for half a day, and had no clue why it cost so much more than any other big SUV. It was cool knowing that it cost a boat load though. That makes it attractive knowing it does. In the same year, I also drove a brand new X5 and that impressed me a lot more than the Lexus did.

A few mentioned reliability issues outside the warranty period with BMWs and Porches, THAT scares me. If I'm going to spend over 30 grand on one, I will be broke for a while to fix any major issues with it. I am also a good friend with an Audi Tech and he said stay away from Audis.

Evoque are too new... and too small.

Taking all considerations, I might be back with an old friend, Ford Explorer. However, having over 10,000 post on ExplorerForum, I am no stranger to Explorer problems. One of which is the "MyFord touch" interface software. It is basically the brain that controls all the electronics of the car. X2

GX470 might be worth looking into again.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:45 AM

Am I the only one who seems to like the ford flex? I guess it's a car you either like or hate but it seems to do everything you'd want it to do as a family hauler.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by S~Factor
I was a HUGE fan of the FX45/50 since its considered a 'street' sport truck, until I saw one up close and saw the interior. Long story short, I am no longer a fan.
I have a 2009 FX50 and love it in every way. I assume you did not like the interior of the pre 2006 FX's ? The 2006-08 interiors were much improved and the 2009+ have interiors comparable to anything else in this class. The FX is probably the most sporting SUV out there sans the Cayenne GTS/Turbo sharing the same FM platform with the 370Z/G37. They are a lot of fun to drive as far as "SUV's" are concerned.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:19 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

How about a Range Rover? Plenty of them road and they can be fixed. Plenty of power, looks good. Really sucks down gas (just got one). 27.6 gallon tank is no joke and familiar at the gas station. I assume all the V8 Suv's are a similar fate. Cayenne was on the list, but the older ones look dated and as many people have experience fixing them.

Like you, I dig the X6; best looking BMW out of the whole line up. My girl wanted an HSE, and that's what we got. I like it, but a friggin royal pain to wash. She pays for the gas..
Old 02-24-2013, 10:03 PM

Like every said h3 is total garbage. I wouldn't get into high mileage German cars. Just too big of a risk. I would get Toyota 4runner or Lexus lx or gx SUV. My parents have Lexus gx470 and it drives actually pretty good. I usually hate SUV but that gx470 is not bad at all however it drinks a lot of gas. I like the new look of 4runner I think it looks real nice
Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 AM
Gold Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

My dad has a 2011 X5 3.5 and has had no problems so far with 30k miles on it. Had to bring it in once in around 2012 to update the ecu software but that was it. Comfortable ride and the 3.5 TT motor is very stout.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know nobody has mentioned it, but the H3 is crap. I have a coworker with one, and it has been a nightmare (80k and its immensely unreliable).

I have another coworker with a Pathfinder (2010 I believe). It’s low mileage and very clean (she takes immaculate care of her cars), but the interior plastics aren’t holding up very well. They seem dry and have scratched considerably (her husband has a Titan that is doing the same, but not as bad). Other than that, it’s a nice truck (I’ve been in it for a 500 mile road trip). I can't imagine what the inside will look like in a few more years......

In this market, I like the MDX (latest generation). In fact, that may be my wife’s next car (she wants a Volvo xc90, but they have some reliability issues). Most reviews comment on the excellent drive (some compare it favorably to the x5). It also seems to be a solid deal on the used market. One trend I’ve seen with them is the magnetic struts in the sport version failing (at a cost of over $1k per strut). I will avoid the sport if we seriously look for one.

Quick Reply: Looking for input on SUV vehicles