Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Looking into C6 Z06

Old 07-31-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
Can you expound a bit on the valve issue; how widespread is it really?

How cheaply can it be remedied (paying for labor and parts), does the fix last long term or is it a constant maintenance item?

& from what I understand the grandsport is just a base LS3 with a body kit and big brakes, so not worth the money imo.
Put it this way, based on everything I have read and understand, I would not personally buy a C6Z that is out of warranty without having the valves inspected (I would intend to do headwork and a cam immediately anyway, which will require better valve springs that you are replacing every 20k miles or 2 years, or whatever you deem safe). This is definitely a controversial topic and is widely debated on CF. If you are keeping the stock cam, the proper head/valve work will correct the errors in geometry that cause the valve issue and I THINK it is a non-issue moving forward in terms of maintenance. Personally, I would check them or have them checked down the road either way, just to be safe. Replacement LS7's aren't cheap!

Contact american heritage for a quote on cost of fixing or inspecting heads. They do a lot of them and seem to have a decent reputation on the forum. If you want the best, you need to talk to Tony Mamo and have him build your heads (this is what I did, but I sold my C6Z for a C7Z before I built the car). He will spec the camshaft and do all of the valve work and porting (I think my heads flowed 403cfm, if I remember correctly). The heads/cam/intake/headers LS7 is what you are after if you want to tear it up in a C6Z.

Oh and I don't hate the C6Z interior nearly as much as others seem to. My car was a 3LZ, so stitched leather dash and all the fixins, so to speak.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm considering a c6z because I'd like to get a car with 500hp that responds to bolt ons that won't completely break the bank. The fact I can get it in yellow is a bonus. I don't mind the looks of the c5 but the interior is a no go for me. I'll def have a proper inspection for the c6 tho...
Old 07-31-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought mine with an extended warranty...$2k is way better than a new LS7. So far my engine is running strong.

I had a base Vette with the LS3, which is the same engine as the one in the GS, sans the dry sump system in the manual transmission GS. Powerwise the delta feels way bigger than the numbers suggest. First time I redlined the LS7 the experience was incredible. A smallblock that redlines at 7k seems to rev forever.

The Z06 is one of those cars that could sound great on paper but no in reality. To elaborate, 1st gear takes you to 60mph, 2nd to around 85mph, 3rd to speeds that will put you in prison. If may not be a fun every day street car you can beat on regularly unless you happen to live by empty freeways. I personally enjoy punching it at just about any RPM due to its instant torque, so this doesn't bother me as much, but I understand there are car guys / gals who enjoy regularly redlining their engines.

I don't have any gripes with my interior, except after I drive my brother's 997 or any German luxury brand vehicles. But honestly for the performance envelope at sub-$40k, if the interior is stunning the price wouldn't be where it's at.

My best suggestion for these types of threads is always to drive the car first to make sure it suits your liking. The C6 in general from the driver's seat feels and seems like a huge car, and could feel boat-like to someone who hasn't put the car through some twisty roads. The clutch and to a certain extent the shifter could feel a bit spongey, especially compared to German sports cars (I am referencing to the clutch / shifter feel in the BMW Z4M, F82 M4, 997 Carrera S, etc.). It took me a few times to the canyons to learn where to place the car in corners, after which I felt more confident going faster.

I've wanted a C6Z since its birth, so despite its valve guide issues I decided it was worth it to get an extended warranty in addition to the vehicle's purchase price. I've never had problems with the sticky clutch pedal yet even after driving in the canyons for hours in 100+ degree weather, but once I track the car I am not sure if the clutch fluid flush will need to be performed more frequently.

In general the C6 is a surprisingly economical car (27+mpg on the freeway + huge trunk), and the Z06 is the rawest representation of this generation of Vettes. I personally still love mine, even after owning an LS3 Vette with the Z51 package for 4 years before moving on to the Z06. The LS7 is a great engine that pulls harder the more revs it gets, post-4500rpm the car hauls ass pretty well. Power, suspension, tires are all easily available if you want to eat things up at the track.

Sorry for the book, basically (1) try to find one at your local Carmax to test drive (2) decide how much the driving experience sold the car to you (3) decide if its shortcomings are worth dealing with. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
I bought mine with an extended warranty...$2k is way better than a new LS7. So far my engine is running strong.

I had a base Vette with the LS3, which is the same engine as the one in the GS, sans the dry sump system in the manual transmission GS. Powerwise the delta feels way bigger than the numbers suggest. First time I redlined the LS7 the experience was incredible. A smallblock that redlines at 7k seems to rev forever.

The Z06 is one of those cars that could sound great on paper but no in reality. To elaborate, 1st gear takes you to 60mph, 2nd to around 85mph, 3rd to speeds that will put you in prison. If may not be a fun every day street car you can beat on regularly unless you happen to live by empty freeways. I personally enjoy punching it at just about any RPM due to its instant torque, so this doesn't bother me as much, but I understand there are car guys / gals who enjoy regularly redlining their engines.

I don't have any gripes with my interior, except after I drive my brother's 997 or any German luxury brand vehicles. But honestly for the performance envelope at sub-$40k, if the interior is stunning the price wouldn't be where it's at.

My best suggestion for these types of threads is always to drive the car first to make sure it suits your liking. The C6 in general from the driver's seat feels and seems like a huge car, and could feel boat-like to someone who hasn't put the car through some twisty roads. The clutch and to a certain extent the shifter could feel a bit spongey, especially compared to German sports cars (I am referencing to the clutch / shifter feel in the BMW Z4M, F82 M4, 997 Carrera S, etc.). It took me a few times to the canyons to learn where to place the car in corners, after which I felt more confident going faster.

I've wanted a C6Z since its birth, so despite its valve guide issues I decided it was worth it to get an extended warranty in addition to the vehicle's purchase price. I've never had problems with the sticky clutch pedal yet even after driving in the canyons for hours in 100+ degree weather, but once I track the car I am not sure if the clutch fluid flush will need to be performed more frequently.

In general the C6 is a surprisingly economical car (27+mpg on the freeway + huge trunk), and the Z06 is the rawest representation of this generation of Vettes. I personally still love mine, even after owning an LS3 Vette with the Z51 package for 4 years before moving on to the Z06. The LS7 is a great engine that pulls harder the more revs it gets, post-4500rpm the car hauls ass pretty well. Power, suspension, tires are all easily available if you want to eat things up at the track.

Sorry for the book, basically (1) try to find one at your local Carmax to test drive (2) decide how much the driving experience sold the car to you (3) decide if its shortcomings are worth dealing with. Good luck.
which aftermarket warranty did you go with?

are the exhaust valves dropping a real concern or is it something way overblown?
Old 07-31-2016, 10:16 PM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

The C6Z is a beast, things to consider:
-it feels floaty, best way I can describe it is that it's like playing a video game, you hit pedals, turn the wheel, move the shifter, and the car shows you through the windshield what's going on, but you don't have that connected feeling. The car is very capable, and from what I'm told you don't feel connected with the car until you approach its very lofty limits, so there's that.
-the interior isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, it's just a really boring interior is all.
-The LS7 is a gem, but the head issues keep me away, as mentioned above don't own one without a warranty or plan on rebuilding the head.

I'd personally take a GS, it has all the handling and trackability of the Z06, with less power, but the tradeoff is the LS3 is known for being rock solid. Plus, the LS3 is also very mod friendly. Yes 500hp is great, 430 is still plenty, and if you really need the difference, full exhaust cam intake and tune should just about do it, and probably still be more reliable. Keep in mind the GSs are more expensive because they are newer cars, but you can find a good low mileage example these days for <40k if you hunt hard enough.

The C5Z is also a great car, interior is meh, the seats are a joke and the steering wheel might as well be on a 90s tahoe, but for a 1997 car (the C5 was introduced in 97 afterall) it's not terrible considering the features you get. For me, I scratched the C6Z off my list because of the higher cost to buy and the head issue. So for me it came down to C6 Z51, C6 GS, and C5 Z06, dollar for dollar for a weekend car the C5Z was hard to beat so two weeks ago I picked one up. That and I went through elementary and high school wanting a C5. Having owned two S2000s, I thought there would be alot I would miss but man love this car. Things that surprised me was how connected the car feels, even when compared to the C6Z, best way I can describe it is comparing a DC2 Integra Type R vs. DC5 RSX Type S, the RSX is technically the better car and more capable, but the DC2 just has personality which is what the C5Z has.

Anyway, good luck with search.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:19 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Tons of performance for the money but it feels huge, like a whole lane wide huge, also the LS7 doesn't feel 'fast' until after 4K RPM, it's not a torque beast that will spin the tires coming off idle if you stomp the gas.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by EastS2k
Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg' timestamp='1470011932' post='24029489
Wall of txt
which aftermarket warranty did you go with?

are the exhaust valves dropping a real concern or is it something way overblown?
I went with Fidelity.

For every Vette cruise I went on (about 5 or 6 so far) there were at least 1 to 2 guys who had the valve drop issue, some of them barely drove the car, some beat the living crap out of it at the track like it's their job, one guy was cruising on the freeway when the valves just went...I'd say it's real, but I also know a few guys with near 100k miles with no issues

I would definitely get a warranty if I get a c6z, the LS7 is quite pricey
Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

Between the C6 GS and the Z06, I'd drive them both. I had an '08 LS3 Vette and loved it and I've driven a lot of C6 Z06's. Most notably, I did a Spring Mountain driving school and alternated between a C6 Z06 and Grand Sport LS3. Man, besides the LS7 just being a total gem, the Grand Sport just felt more like a truck. I think the lighter weight C6 Z06 with the aluminum frame and upgraded suspension just made a huge difference behind the wheel to me. I was honestly surprised with how much 'nicer' the Z06 felt compared to the Grand Sport.

So, drive them both before pulling the trigger. From what I've gathered a little bit of good aftermarket engine work can make the LS7 bulletproof, so either go that route or just get an extended warranty. Or just get an LS9 ZR1 and don't worry about it. The LS9 is about as bomb proof of an engine as GM has ever made.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

Quikag has spoken. /corvettethread
Old 08-01-2016, 03:21 PM

I've owned 2 C5 Z06s, 2 C6 Z06s, and 3 S2000s.

Yes, I have car ADD.

I sold my first Z06 because I couldn't afford peace of mind (fixed heads) coupled with the high payments. My clutch was also on its last leg, and I would have needed new tires to take the car to the next level. And I won't upgrade heads without touching the cam/intake...so I was looking at a very large bill. My second C6 Z06, I tore down right off the bat. AI ported/milled heads, EPS custom grind cam, MSD Air Force 102mm intake, Kooks LTs/Catted X, McLeod RXT w/billet flywheel, Tick MC, etc etc....Car made almost 600rwhp N/A and was an absolute monster. Problem is, driving it around town became a chore, and if I "enjoyed" myself with it at all, I felt like I was going to end up in jail and ultimately end my career. So I sold it and decided to stick with the S2000.

The Z06 is a sledgehammer and the S2000 is a scalpel. There is no need for Z06 power IMO. It's just retarded, especially when you upgrade things to fix the heads. And the head issue is far more common than you'd realize - there are tons of cars floating around with worn exhaust valve guides, they just don't know it yet. I wouldn't own one without fixing this.

A C5 Z06 would be my first choice. You're getting 75% of what a C6 Z06 is for half the price. The power levels are far more controllable...interior quality is slightly less, but they all suck anyways and that's not what you buy the car for.

If you want to spend C6 Z06 money, just get a Grand Sport. You'll get a bulletproof LS3, more manageable power:weight ratio, removable roof, better seats and steering wheel if you get a 2012...just a nicer car to drive around overall. If you want an all out race car, then go ahead and get the C6 Z06.

Quick Reply: Looking into C6 Z06