Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Looking into C6 Z06

Old 08-01-2016, 03:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Tons of performance for the money but it feels huge, like a whole lane wide huge, also the LS7 doesn't feel 'fast' until after 4K RPM, it's not a torque beast that will spin the tires coming off idle if you stomp the gas.
It's not??? How is that possible. That sounds exactly opposite of the LT1 in my C7, which has similar torque curve. That thing will absolutely spin it's tires if you stomp the gas. I guess most dynos don't record torque that low but I would be surprised if the seven liter LS7 didn't make as much or more torque as the LT1 at idle...
Old 08-01-2016, 04:10 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Quikag has spoken. /corvettethread
Hahahaha. So true.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Tons of performance for the money but it feels huge, like a whole lane wide huge, also the LS7 doesn't feel 'fast' until after 4K RPM, it's not a torque beast that will spin the tires coming off idle if you stomp the gas.
Just curious, what car do you consider to have the torque feeling you're expecting the C6 Z06 to have?
Old 08-02-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1470075560' post='24029913
It's not??? How is that possible. That sounds exactly opposite of the LT1 in my C7, which has similar torque curve. That thing will absolutely spin it's tires if you stomp the gas. I guess most dynos don't record torque that low but I would be surprised if the seven liter LS7 didn't make as much or more torque as the LT1 at idle...
I drove a 7mt z51 Stingray back to back with my c6z before pulling the trigger on my Z, and the Stingray did spin its tires more at lower RPMs, but I'd attribute that to the difference in OEM rear tire size
I believe both cars put down similar torque figures but the c6z is lighter by a bit. The Stingray sounded way better though GM really nailed the new exhaust modes, wish my C6 had that haha, with the mufflers' valves open all the time my car just drones like mad under 2.5k RPM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1470075560' post='24029913
Just curious, what car do you consider to have the torque feeling you're expecting the C6 Z06 to have?
I agree with his assessment in that the LS7 doesn't have the crazy low end torque as it does at higher RPMs...it's actually the main reason I got the LS7 over the LT1 as I prefer that kind of NA power delivery feel, even though the LS7 still offers plenty of oomph outside of its powerband (same if not more than my LS3 c6 did at low RPM)

For example an F82 M4 I drove in anger, in 2nd gear when the boost hits (which is at pretty low RPM) the car would just take off, though at higher RPMs the LS7 will wreck it
Old 08-02-2016, 01:13 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

2008 zo6 3ss (I think). Damn fast and sounded good. Fairly short throw 6 speed

Old 08-03-2016, 05:01 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by EastS2k' timestamp='1469932931' post='24028941

& from what I understand the grandsport is just a base LS3 with a body kit and big brakes, so not worth the money imo.
From what I know, the GS has the Z06 body (which looks better than a base C6), and better brakes and suspension components, but also the ability to take the roof off, better sound deadening, and "they say" is the best of both worlds between a daily-driver and a track machine, for a ~70 hp difference..
My neighbor has the GS and the brakes look pretty wicked. He almost daily drives it. I call him the General as his driveway has 5 GM cars. Sounds really nice too when he drives by.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I just picked up a C6 Z06. I got a mid mileage car for a little cheaper than the many garage queens out there, and I'm doing heads and a mild cam shortly. I agree, warranty or heads...I figured might as well pay a little more and fix the problem. And make some additional power. It does feel large and less precise than the S, but it feels better at speed. I enjoy it around town, but the steering is really overboosted at low speed. People love the car, I get thumbs up from kids, women, old guys, you name it.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by EastS2k' timestamp='1469932931' post='24028941
& from what I understand the grandsport is just a base LS3 with a body kit and big brakes, so not worth the money imo.
From what I know, the GS has the Z06 body (which looks better than a base C6), and better brakes and suspension components, but also the ability to take the roof off, better sound deadening, and "they say" is the best of both worlds between a daily-driver and a track machine, for a ~70 hp difference.

If I was primarily buying a vette for track driving, I'd go Z06. Otherwise, GS, and that seems to be what vette owners have also told me, so I was curious why you are angling toward one over the other. I also think having a glass/removable top (or convertible) is a nice feature, which not everyone wants..

In either case, the C6 was the first Corvette I considered worth my time. C5s are terribad inside, and unless price is an issue, a C6 GS is as fast as a C5 Z06, but better to drive. If you go for a C6 Z06, it will be a hoot to own.
The GS also has a steel frame vs. the aluminum one in the Z06. This is also why the GS is heavier by about 100 lbs over the base Vette IIRC
Old 08-04-2016, 02:04 PM

I bought my C5 Z06, because I wanted to stay under $30k so I wouldn't have to mess with financing it. Other than that, you'd be crazy not to get a C6 Z06.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

To clarify a few of my previous comments, the GS is a great car, but it just felt quite a bit more pedestrian than the Z06 when I was tracking both of them at Spring Mountain outside of Vegas. The Z06 just felt much lighter on it's feet, more responsive, the engine felt smoother, revved harder, sounded awesome, etc. The LS3 is a stout engine, more stout than the LS7 stock versus stock from a reliability/durability standpoint. But, the LS7 just feels special. Drive one and rev it out to 7,100rpm in the first 2-3 gears and then do the same in an LS3 Grand Sport and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply: Looking into C6 Z06