Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mazda 3 GT > S2000 ?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fishfryer,Apr 13 2010, 06:35 PM
I have a 2006 Acura TL, 2005 S2000, 1970 454 Corvette, and a CBR 600 F4i.

Without a doubt, but if you have the choice to date a hot chick that may be a pain in the ass or a good stocky girl with ratty hair and thick ankles which would you choose? See my point, sometimes we make allowances for hotness. For those that want some homely beast to talk about the one thing something does well like 'but you should see that ugly broad clean a toilet then you'd date her too' or 'yes she's ugly, but she can pull a plow as good as a mule' or my favorite ' I like ugly women, they don't cheat on you as much'.

Wouldn't you prefer to wash ans wax a pretty girl or Berta from Two and a Half Men?

Also pretty sheetmetal costs the same as ugly sheet metal. Why make anything ugly?

I rest my case.
I appreciate your analogies

And I agree wholeheartedly.... but you my friend have it made, you got a solid DD which no offense is not the best looking car out there (not compared to an S2000). But when you want you have 3 nice ones you can take out whenever you want to ride in (or on) hotness.

I daily drive the 'ugly' wagon because I can't afford multiple cars and/or the space to put them all. I could have gotten a used S2000 and drove a hot car every day, but then I would also have to live with the thing for all the shit I can throw in my hatch without thinking twice about.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honk if you like torque steer.

I don't.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STI vs MS3. FWD ain't that bad lol!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LDylZDfmq4 [/media]

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/video-collecti...car-laguna.html
Old 04-14-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by budgy,Apr 13 2010, 12:50 PM
Don't both cars come stock with RE050's? Except that the S2000 has wider tires. Did it also occur to you that both have a similar pad compound from the factory, the MS3's just resist fade better because the rotors themselves are a lot more massive.

This is motor trend, they are not some tuner mag, not really their responsibility to modify cars that were on loan to them for a test just to be as apples to apples as they can be.

This test is not saying that the MS3 is a better track car, just that it was slightly faster on this track on this day with this driver.
that was completely not my point. I obviously don't know or care what kind of tires the ms3 comes with. I wasn't trying to compare the ms3 or defend the s2000...I haven't had an s2000 in 18 months and I really don't care - I was trying to speak more broadly to all of the test cars and car tests in general.

My point was that you can't legitimately say one car is better than another when the standardizable pieces are not the same. It's like putting premium gas in one and not in the other. Or, to get more extreme, about running one on a wet track and the other on dry. Or not even running on the same track. You have to standardize the variables or it isn't scientific. And if it isn't science, it's just entertainment.

Think about it. If you had 911 GT3 RS vs. GTR on the ring, but you put 87 in the GTR and it lost by a second, you would have complete outrage. Would it be different if one car comes with cup tires and the other doesn't?

Finally, tires aren't like changing fluids in a car. You can expect significant differences in a car's capabilities based on the tires you select. It isn't some stupid argument I'm making. It would make a difference in this test. Possibly not for the Ms3 vs s2000 component because they happen to be similar. But not ALL of the cars in the test had the same tires and brakes.

I guess for the current test you can still say one car is faster when 100% OEM, but that is meaningless to everyone except mag racers. How many people buy sporty cars (the kinds subjected to test like this) and never deviate from the OEM tires, brakes, alignment, fluids, etc during the life of the car?

Old 04-14-2010, 05:39 PM

That's all well and good, but what do you do when cars have different wheel sizes? Or different brake rotor diameters? Or, or, or? How are you going to equalize tires if every car in the comparison uses a different size? What happens when a particular tire is unaailable in the size required for one of the cars? Or a favored brake pad is unavailable in an uncommon fitment?

People want to know how stock cars compare. It's generally accepted one can improve the performance of a vehicle by upgrading tires, brakes, etc. It's not so useful to tell people Car A could be faster than car B if you upgrade X and Y, and Car B has upgraded W and Z. That's what *actually racing* is for.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:06 PM

My Miata hit 1.97G (peak) last track outing!
Old 04-15-2010, 06:41 AM

^ on what corner at what track and recorded by what? That is pretty high even for just a peak. The highest I recall seeing in my car is 1.78g in turn 7 at TWS which has some good banking to it.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:57 AM

David, it was @ Harris Hill Road, recorded by my TraqMate during Chono-X Round 1. I'll have to wait until I get home to look at the data file to tell you which corner.

My one outing w/ the TraqMate @ TWS, we were going CW and on OEM tires (205/50-17 RE50's), I only hit ~1.33G peak.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Apr 14 2010, 05:39 PM
That's all well and good, but what do you do when cars have different wheel sizes? Or different brake rotor diameters? Or, or, or? How are you going to equalize tires if every car in the comparison uses a different size? What happens when a particular tire is unaailable in the size required for one of the cars? Or a favored brake pad is unavailable in an uncommon fitment?

People want to know how stock cars compare. It's generally accepted one can improve the performance of a vehicle by upgrading tires, brakes, etc. It's not so useful to tell people Car A could be faster than car B if you upgrade X and Y, and Car B has upgraded W and Z. That's what *actually racing* is for.
That was kind of my point....that even if you put them on the same tires there are always going to be differences because of the set up of the car.

Fact of the matter comparing every car with stock equipment is the only fair comparison you can truly make, it's important to note the differences in the tires each car comes with so that people can get an idea on why the differences exist.

This is not a magazine like Grassroots Motorsport, it's the magazines job to stay true to what the manufacturer is actually selling to people.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:08 AM

I don't know if the major motorcycle magazines still do this, but in the past, they would attempt to put the same make/model of tire on all their test bikes during a large comparison.

I understand both sides but I would like to see them change out the tires just to remove that variable from the various cars.

As stated earlier, the possible performance difference between the various OEM tires is just too big to ignore in many cases.

At least it gives us something to write about...

Quick Reply: Mazda 3 GT > S2000 ?