Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

MazdaSpeed 6 vs. STI vs. Evo. vs WRX

Old 01-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche951,Jan 16 2006, 05:54 PM
I've seen the Mazdaspeed 6 offered for 24k. What kind of money is the Legacy GT going for. What caught my eye was the fact that the Mazda offers about 50 more horses than a WRX yet sells for similar money.
Regular Legacy GT is around $28k, I believe.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the cars should be bought over a TSX.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christople,Jan 16 2006, 07:47 PM
umm ok, when was the TSX mentioned in this discussion?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:03 PM

I mentioned that because the MS6 and the WRX are in the price range of the TSX and you get more car.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by CBeyond,Jan 16 2006, 04:07 PM
First, the Mazdaspeed6 is not targeted at the same market as the STI and Evo. Therefore such comparisons are pointless.

I sat in the Mazdaspeed6 and the Legacy GT at the LA autoshow, but I have not driven either one. To me, the Mazda appeared to have a better build quality and a FAR more appealing interior. The exterior of the Mazda is also more aggressive and interesting than the Legacy, which looks rather forgettable to me. I can't make any comment on the relative performance.
I find the quote" FAR more appealing interior" interesting. The comparison test I just read ripped on the Mazdaspeeds interior.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:11 PM

The MS6 was targeted to be an Audi A4 competitor. It was intended for someone who wanted the appeal of the turbo 4 sedan without the box shape of the EVO and Imprezzas
Old 01-16-2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Porsche951,Jan 16 2006, 08:03 PM
I find the quote" FAR more appealing interior" interesting. The comparison test I just read ripped on the Mazdaspeeds interior.
These are the two interiors. I think even from these still images you can see what I'm talking about. The Legacy GT interior is basically a slightly polished-up WRX layout. No steering wheel controls? Goofy plastic door handhold, and a VERY strange location door latch release? Those rectangular air vents are really ugly in my opinion, and the sliding panel concealing the cupholders on the center console is very flimsy. The Mazdaspeed6 design has some faults too, but it's much nicer to my eyes.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:41 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Christople,Jan 16 2006, 07:47 PM
Were you turned down for financing on a TSX or something? Seriously, get over it. You're acting like a crotchety old woman.

The TSX is better looking than either of those cars (in my opinion), has a nicer interior (I think most would agree), will hold its resale better (no question), and has a great chassis (undeniable). It's not super powerful but it's adequate. It's a sporty sedan, not a sports car, and it does everything well.

If you don't like it, that's fine, but can you just let it go? Seriously - you'd think a TSX turned you down for a date or something.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by CBeyond,Jan 16 2006, 11:25 PM
These are the two interiors. I think even from these still images you can see what I'm talking about. The Legacy GT interior is basically a slightly polished-up WRX layout. No steering wheel controls? Goofy plastic door handhold, and a VERY strange location door latch release? Those rectangular air vents are really ugly in my opinion, and the sliding panel concealing the cupholders on the center console is very flimsy. The Mazdaspeed6 design has some faults too, but it's much nicer to my eyes.

http://s2.desktopmachine.com/pics/Mazda_6-57_1024.jpg

http://s2.desktopmachine.com/pics/Su...cy_01-1024.jpg
Have you actually sat in a Legacy GT? To say it's just a polished up wrx layout would dictate that you haven't. Also the cup holder cover is not "flimsy". Also the picture you showed is of a regular Legacy, not a GT.

The GT has the pimp guage cluster.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:35 AM

The TSX is better looking than either of those cars (in my opinion)
possibly, but as you said, looks are subjective so that's hardly a point of debate.

has a nicer interior (I think most would agree)
I'd agree with you that the the overall fit and finish is nicer. But it's not like there's a night and day difference.

will hold its resale better (no question)
possible since it is a Honda. But if that's your motivation for picking a certain car over another... I dunno.

and has a great chassis (undeniable)
What's to say the LGT or MS6 don't have great chassis, or even better chassis?

It's a sporty sedan, not a sports car, and it does everything well
The LGT and MS6 are sporty sedans, not sports cars, and perform better.

Quick Reply: MazdaSpeed 6 vs. STI vs. Evo. vs WRX