Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mercedes S430 initial review and pics

Old 07-16-2005, 03:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mercedes S430 initial review and pics

Yeah I know -- big boat -- but since we don't seem to see many reviews of such things here ...

Positives:
Big, really big -- a ton of rear space and a nice sized trunk
Comfortable seats
Quiet, very very quiet.
Fun gadgets, push button trunk closing etc
In Sport Mode 2 suprisingly firm ride with very little roll -- in normal mode very, very plush

Negatives:
Stereo sucks if you listen to over the air stuff
Navigation system is not the best
Dashboard material is out of a Kia
Steering wheel is a bit too thin and the steering itself while well weighted is a bit numb on center
Low on power (duh, pay more for the S500 or AMG).
The speedo is hard to read for certain speeds (see last picture).

How it stacks up? Tough to say. I really liked the 745 as well -- but damn bangle. That car only looks decent in black and as I have said before no more black cars for me.

The Lexus is also an excellent vehicle, in most ways probably a better vehicle but it feels a bit more cramped in back.

The RL? Eh I am neither here nor there on the car. It is a great car by the numbers, but it is also not what the 745 and S series Mercedes are -- unhurried luxury cars with a ton of space. With the Acura you get the impression that they are trying to be the M5 for people without M5 money. The car is high strung, zipping through the gears searching for the power. Is that bad? No, just not what I want in a big luxury car.

The Audi A8? I have to admit I never even bothered. Audi ... bleh.

Anyway, all I need are some chrome spinner 22's ...

Old 07-16-2005, 04:04 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the current gen S-class. I'd rather have a 7-series now 750i with 360hp.

The S-class is on its last leg while the 7-series just got the bugs worked out.

Personally I'd save a boat and go for the LS430 which is quite fast for it's modest power. It's weighs a lot less, heck it weighs less than the RL.

I haven't driven the LS may be to plush and floaty. Wish they'd make a decent sports package for it.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

too bad the LS just looks like a bloated Camry

at least some of the German models like Audi have appealing styling
Old 07-16-2005, 04:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good choice Especially with the awesome lease deals Mercedes-Benz has to offer on the S-class right now
Old 07-16-2005, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll regret driving an out of date luxury sedan like that when the new S comes out next year.

Can't argue with the price, but I would have been tempted by the CLS. Not as big, but the interior is nicer and it's definitely a sharp looking car in person.

Old 07-16-2005, 09:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll regret driving an out of date luxury sedan like that when the new S comes out next year.
Do you regret driving an out of date S2000? -- I mean the platform debuted in 2000...

That is a seriously stupid comment. There is always something else newer. What's more -- did you read anywhere that I asked what you would have purchased? You would have purchased a 2 door car that does not compete with the S class. Okay. I like to eat bacon on Tuesday mornings. See anything similar with that comment and yours?

I wanted a big car for a year. Done deal.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by robotkiller,Jul 16 2005, 09:44 PM
when the new S comes out next year.
This is the dumbest comment I've heard all day It's gonna be the same car next year!!!
Old 07-16-2005, 09:35 PM

MB W220 S class is still one of the best looking sedans on the road.. heck yeah go for it man! although I thought S500, even though more $$, has way more std features and the diff might not be as big as you think.

Just make sure you get the AMG aerokit or Lorinser bodykit, shave the hood emblem, a nice quad exhaust, and some BRABUS monoblock DUBs!!! you'll be the bling bling king of the road fo shizzle dizzle~~
Old 07-16-2005, 09:44 PM

btw, i didnt know MB USA started offering S350 starting this yr!! 6000lb behemoth + 6 cylinder =
Old 07-16-2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by ProV1,Jul 16 2005, 10:44 PM
btw, i didnt know MB USA started offering S350 starting this yr!! 6000lb behemoth + 6 cylinder =
S350's are for baller's on a budget

Quick Reply: Mercedes S430 initial review and pics