Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Miatas... Anybody familiar with them?

Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a '91, loved it.

The only weak point I know of is there are these drainage holes in front of the rear wheels on the rocker panels.. It's supposed to drain rainwater from some place else out there. Mine got clogged up with dirt and I had water sitting inside the rocker panels all winter without me knowing it, causing them to rust out It's apparently common in places where they gravel the roads in winter... Just a place to check for in case of rust.

Generally a fantastic car though. I had KYB shocks and Eibach springs on mine, and with some R tires I could hurl it into a corner as hard as I possibly could and the limiting grip factor was not my tires on the road, but my ass on the seat. It seemed more tossable than my S2k, but it might've helped that it only had ~90rwhp
Old 05-06-2008, 08:29 AM

both are great cars and fun to drive; the MR2 Spyder has very little storage room so the Miata is probably a more practical choice (assuming that is a factor in your mom's decision).

Here's some info on the MR2 Spyder from edmunds.com

clicky

some quotes from the article:

In reviews, we found the Toyota MR2 Spyder very enjoyable to drive. In a roadster comparison test in 2000, it finished higher than the Miata by being more fun and tossable at the track. Its midengine layout meant it could lose its composure at the limit, but generally it went through turns quite nicely.
its trunk made the Miata's look like a B-52's bomb bay ... The front-mounted "trunk" was taken up by the spare tire and the storage compartment behind the seats was very small and difficult to access.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:17 AM

Mine has been super reliable. Make sure the timing belt has been done. Don't be afraid of leaks around valve cover gasket and the Cam Angle Sensor at the rear of the cover. Real easy fixes.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Isn't the MR2 even considered a rear-engined car even though its engine is supposedly placed in the middle? I've heard second hand horror stories about its handling at the limit. Can someone who knows more about this chime in?

I'd hate for my mother to drive an MR2 if that's the case. The miata is very forgiving.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:51 PM

NB Miata FTW. Had an 03 before my s2k, car ran like a champ never let me down. Extremely fun, I could easily control power slides and drifts unlike the s2k.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,May 6 2008, 07:51 PM
NB Miata FTW. Had an 03 before my s2k, car ran like a champ never let me down. Extremely fun, I could easily control power slides and drifts unlike the s2k.
Some drivers are "boy racers". Miata drivers are puddle drifters
Old 05-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing else (in modern times) has such low limits of adhesion that you can feel like Mario Andretti on neighborhood streets while not breaking the speed limit.

My 70 year old mother has one that gets driven maybe 800 miles a year and I enjoy the hell out of it when I am in town ... even with the fact that I simply do not fit in that little car -- I'm stuck either crouching down or sitting up strait to see over the windshield. I hear you can buy seat adapter kits that lower them though ...
Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's a Miata? I've never heard of it, but it sounds like a cool car.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:30 PM

assuming price is not an issue, do you guys prefer the NA or NB, and why do you prefer it??
Old 05-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Miatas are considered very reliable - almost bulletproof. Fun to drive and easy to catch when it does come loose.

MR2 or any mid engine handles a little different. When it does start to come loose, DO NOT LIFT!!! You will spin. They are great handling cars and fun to drive. They just take a little getting used to because of the different handling characteristics.

Does your mother race? For just normal street driving either should be fine for her.

Quick Reply: Miatas... Anybody familiar with them?