Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The most American car built today is...?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yellow_S,Jul 1 2009, 11:21 PM
Better? Um, no! It may be in your subjective opinion, but doesn't make it true.
I haven't driven a new Taurus, but I recently had a Camry loaner, and it was BORING. Felt very Americanized, and I couldn't wait to give it back!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're wrong.

I didn't guess it
Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jul 1 2009, 08:06 PM
Run away from the comparison if you like, the bottom line is Ford Taurus is a better car than the new Camry.
So, what extensive experience have you had in both the 2010 Taurus and a 2010 Camry...?

or, are you basing your opinion on what you have read... which just makes you a sheep who bases their opinions on what others have to say.

My opinion, admittedly, is based on how bland ford products have been in the past (models as recent as 2009s). Yep, I'm rolling them all together... my fault but I'm ok with it, because the only ford product I would purchase is their heavy duty brake fluid (500' dry boiling point for $6/bottle!).

ps. eh, slogans... get them mixed up all the time.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:07 AM

I work for a Toyota dealer, so I feel I can fairly say this...

The new Camry is JUNK.

Its plasticky, rattly and just all around crap. We constantly replace the radios under warranty. There are about 8 TSB's alone for interior rattles from the dash, and other interior panels. There is a TSB for brake vibration... I've cut front and rear rotors under warranty on more than a handful. The V6 model is prone to a major oil leak from the VVTI oil hose. I've replaced a fair share of those under warranty too. It is flat out GARBAGE. I wouldnt drive one if you gave it to me.

The Venza looks nice and I havent seen/heard too many problems with those yet. The biggest issue so far is vibration from the 20" wheel/tire combo. The backwards thing is that the 20" wheel comes standard and a 19" wheel is an option. That just doesnt make sense.

Camry = garbage.

Not trying to add any more despair to the U.S. car manufacturing and I am appreciative that such a large scale Japanese company is bringing so many jobs to the U.S.... but ever since they started building them in the U.S. they have turned into garbage.

J
Old 07-02-2009, 06:34 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=JCoxRocks,Jul 2 2009, 06:07 AM] I work for a Toyota dealer, so I feel I can fairly say this...

The new Camry is JUNK.

Its plasticky, rattly and just all around crap.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:53 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Toyota cheaped out with the latest Camry imo - its a horrid car to sit in, drive, even to look at. The Venza has a nicer interior even though its basically a Camry wagon - I think Toyota can have a nicer interior in that car because its profit margin is fatter.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by JCoxRocks,Jul 2 2009, 06:07 AM
I work for a Toyota dealer, so I feel I can fairly say this...

The new Camry is JUNK.

Its plasticky, rattly and just all around crap. We constantly replace the radios under warranty. There are about 8 TSB's alone for interior rattles from the dash, and other interior panels. There is a TSB for brake vibration... I've cut front and rear rotors under warranty on more than a handful. The V6 model is prone to a major oil leak from the VVTI oil hose. I've replaced a fair share of those under warranty too. It is flat out GARBAGE. I wouldnt drive one if you gave it to me.

The Venza looks nice and I havent seen/heard too many problems with those yet. The biggest issue so far is vibration from the 20" wheel/tire combo. The backwards thing is that the 20" wheel comes standard and a 19" wheel is an option. That just doesnt make sense.

Camry = garbage.

Not trying to add any more despair to the U.S. car manufacturing and I am appreciative that such a large scale Japanese company is bringing so many jobs to the U.S.... but ever since they started building them in the U.S. they have turned into garbage.

J
You are aware that the Camry has been built in the US since '88?

New Camry is awash in its cheapness. As is the new Accord. We have a '99 Accord and '98 Camry in the extended family stable... the old Accord isn't anyhting to brag about. Until you get into a new Accord and are faced with a dash board of Ford quality hard plastic. The nice swooping dash layout does a lot to distract you from the sea of cheap.... up until you see the gaps and misaligned interior pieces.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=Saki GT,Jul 2 2009, 08:53 AM] Toyota cheaped out with the latest Camry imo - its a horrid car to sit in, drive, even to look at.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris S,Jul 2 2009, 05:13 AM
I haven't driven a new Taurus, but I recently had a Camry loaner, and it was BORING. Felt very Americanized, and I couldn't wait to give it back!
Well, duh! The Camry has never been fun. Its forte is being a quiet, reliable and efficient family hauler; that's what most of its buyers seek after anyway. Mine has been extremely reliable and that's all I can ask for. Had I wanted a sports sedan, it would've cost much more and been not as reliable.

The Accord is a bit livelier and may be as reliable as the Camry though. Ask yourselves this, why has the Camry been the best-selling car in America for almost 2 decades? Maybe then you'll see that the answer lies in what I said above.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

The past two decades it was a decent car - the current Camry is a mess.

Quick Reply: The most American car built today is...?