Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The most you paid for gas?

Old 09-07-2005, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Sep 7 2005, 04:29 PM
Yes but you have free health care.

I guess the only way for the US to stop burning gas like it's going out of style is for gas prices to stay high (over $3/gal). we were having gas for $1/gal not too long ago. No wonder the full size pick-up truck and SUV are/were the largest sellers.
Bud there is no such thing as something for nothing in the world. We pay for the health system through taxes and national insurance contributions. the govenrment of no country has it's own money, it is we who pay. Problem is that I have private medical cover but I still pay for those who can't afford to pay for medical care or those who are bums and don't want to work.

The US does need to do something quick though. Being the consumer of 25% of all oil production in the world it needs to get smart. We can see that 2l engine can produce power as well as being efficient and the first step towards that has to be more efficient US engines and smaller cars but somehow I don't think the vast majority are ready for that yet.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:00 AM

3.68$ in englewood cliffs, NJ
Old 09-07-2005, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by rahula,Sep 7 2005, 07:43 AM
We can see that 2l engine can produce power as well as being efficient and the first step towards that has to be more efficient US engines and smaller cars but somehow I don't think the vast majority are ready for that yet.
Everyone should drive an S2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by rahula,Sep 7 2005, 10:43 AM
Bud there is no such thing as something for nothing in the world. We pay for the health system through taxes and national insurance contributions. the govenrment of no country has it's own money, it is we who pay. Problem is that I have private medical cover but I still pay for those who can't afford to pay for medical care or those who are bums and don't want to work.

The US does need to do something quick though. Being the consumer of 25% of all oil production in the world it needs to get smart. We can see that 2l engine can produce power as well as being efficient and the first step towards that has to be more efficient US engines and smaller cars but somehow I don't think the vast majority are ready for that yet.
Whoa, whoa...don't think we kick people out onto the streets here. We too have our bums and slackers who get free medical care. It's not as all-inclusive as yours is, but I gurantee we get taxed pretty heavily for Medicare. In the end, the main difference is that our tax doesn't get lumped into fuel. Big brother takes his share, just in other ways.

In the end, you guys do pay much more in taxes, but for you, paying for private medical is a luxury, for me, I couldn't get free medical care if I wanted to (which I don't) because I'm not on welfare or disabled. Because I have a job, I have to pay both Medicare and private insurance, and I have no other choice.

And as for consuming 1/4 the world's production of oil, well, I'd like to see how many cars we have compared to the rest of the world. I do agree that our vehicles could and should be much more efficient (which is why both of my cars are 4 bangers), but you really need to look at mpg instead of oil consumption since many factors can skew that. For instance, do you know how far I have to drive to get to the next city? Minimum it's 170 miles, the nearest major city in my state is over 200 miles away. We have to travel very far because the country is so spread out.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:33 AM

Octane 93

$3.499 DC Metro area

and

$3.499 NC Charlotte area

Old 09-07-2005, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$3.429 was the highest I saw for premium in Columbus, OH
Old 09-07-2005, 09:08 AM

I have not filled up within the last week. Got all 3 cars gassed up to the tune of about $2.80/gal for 93 octane before the hurricane hit. I should be good to go for 2 more weeks or so. Hopefully prices will drop a bit by then...

Andrew
Old 09-07-2005, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by mbilderback,Sep 7 2005, 08:09 AM
For instance, do you know how far I have to drive to get to the next city? Minimum it's 170 miles, the nearest major city in my state is over 200 miles away. We have to travel very far because the country is so spread out.
And we are so spread out because:

1 - energy is cheap

2 - the cost of driving is subsidized through other taxes that have nothing to do with you r fuel or road usage. Or in other words only about 1/3 of the revenues needed to pay for roads in the U.S. are funded through fuel taxes, the rest comes from income and other taxes. It motorists in this country were charged by the mile(e.g. fuel taxes or mileage taxes for 100% of roads) you would see a drastic change in behavior.

3 - we just like to be spread out

4 - job locations, preferred school districts, lower taxes away from cities(fewer services too)
Old 09-07-2005, 09:16 AM

$3.09 in the Seattle suburbs. I'm hoping to make it through the week before filling up again; maybe the prices will drop a little more.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We can see that 2l engine can produce power as well as being efficient and the first step towards that has to be more efficient US engines and smaller cars but somehow I don't think the vast majority are ready for that yet.
The 7 liter Z06 engine produces 2X + the horsepower of the S2k and gets better gas mileage on the highway. What is your point?

Quick Reply: The most you paid for gas?