Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Motorcycles...

Old 04-14-2003, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, thanks for all the info. i just wanted to know the top five bikes because i know nothing about them, not so i can buy it. i dont feel like dieing when im 19. i think im going to get a new Ninja 250R since every forum ive been to has said thats a good starter. Plus its only $3000. And since im only 5'5" 130lbs, im sure that'd even be a little too much for me! sorry i didnt use the search engine, i didnt even know there was a bike forum at s2ki til this thread got moved
Old 04-14-2003, 05:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by J Roman
[B]wow, thanks for all the info.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:38 AM

i've seen women shorter then 5 ft 5" that riding F4's and R6's... you learn to deal with it.

even a 250 cc will mess you up... so get what makes you happy man.. just use your head when your riding and always gear up. This discussion is beaten to death on every forum i've ever frequented. In the end people will tell you to get a ninja 250 or FZR600 (generally). Though those are excellent choices for a starter... don't feel threatened by a 600cc like a CBR F2-F4, Just take your time and ride smart. I started on a 600 6 years ago and here I am today with my 3rd 600 cc bike. Its all about riding technique and not engine size (and when you think about it, is a 600 cc motor really that small? i dont think so atleast ).
Old 04-14-2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Deeguy
i've seen women shorter then 5 ft 5" that riding F4's and R6's... you learn to deal with it.
I don't think anyone will dispute the fact that short people can ride almost anything BUT like you just said, "You learn to deal with it".
Remember, he has already stated that he "knows nothing about bikes". Until he becomes proficient, hanging your ass off one side of the seat just so he can tippy toe on one foot when he comes to a stop is not something a novice really needs to deal with.
And of course, there are always examples of people who can start off with a 600cc crotch rocket and be able to say years later that they are still around. You are living proof. What I'm saying is that it's a matter of improving his odds. We have no idea what type of person Mr. Roman is or what frame of mind he has. Is he prepared to fix the body work should he drop his shiney new F4? Does he even have any concept of what that will cost? And does a novice really need a bike that can go 0-60 mph in less than 3 seconds? And can he resist that temptation? I think most of us here are trying to give him advice that will best look after his safety based on what he has told us but more importantly, based on what he has NOT told us.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:10 PM

True, I have yet to hear one person say that they regretted getting a small bike first, cuz it was just too underpowered. Most ended up better riders that those who had been riding 600+ for a lot longer.

Oh, and follow the advice... ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear gear. Even to go around the block. YOu never know when gramma in the caddy is gonna blow the stop sign. People gimme crap about leather in the middle of summer, but when I show them pics of my wreck when I had leather on, and STILL got nasty rash, and ask them to think about if I had not had a 1st layer of leather, they usually shut up.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:56 PM

Any help on which companies are most reliable, least cost, best looking, best handling, fastest...etc.

Also, what is the FZR600? I cant find it anywhere. But Im pretty sure Im going to get the 250R just as a first bike, maybe even used. And I will take the safety course (how much does it cost?). Im not trying to kill myself or anything, I just found myself to be interested in bikes.

How does insurance on a bike compare to cars? Is it a lot more or would that only be if you get a really fast bike? (im 19)

Thanks for all the help. I cant believe that an s2000 forum gives me so much better info then the bike forums I went to.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:08 PM

[B]Any help on which companies are most reliable, least cost, best looking, best handling, fastest...etc.

Also, what is the FZR600?
Old 04-14-2003, 01:11 PM

I thought you were supposed to have a bike THEN go to the course. I really am clueless Well, now I need you to tell me a webpage url for the course. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2003, 01:17 PM

[B]I thought you were supposed to have a bike THEN go to the course.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:58 PM

I would suggest looking for a used 600cc honda bike to start with. Like a F3 or so. Cheap, fast, and very reliable. They will rip the doors off just about any car you will come across and can be bought for $3-4k or so. The acceleration will blow your mind and it isn't even a fast bike by today's standards. You are not ready for the newer bikes, physically and mentally.

Heres my impression from owning and riding various bikes.

Honda F series (600s) - Very comfortable, forgiveable, but bland. Not as fun to ride as other 600s due to many factors (power peaks, steering quickness). Handling and power is acceptable.

Kawasaki 600s - Tries to copy the honda. I don't really like the old zx6r.

Suzuki 600 - Good power, bad stock gearing leaves the rpms too low in higher gears when you want torque. Excellent handling. VERY stable and precise... think M3. Also considered the most uncomfy.

Yamaha R6 - Big power hit around 9k makes it feel faster than it is. Steering is VERY quick. Getting of a Honda and onto a r6 will leave you falling and leaning into corners more than you planned. Overall my favorite 600. Handling is not as stable as Suzuki (haven't riddent the new one.

Litre bikes

Honda 929/954 - Pretty comfy. Not nearly as comfy as the honda 600 version. VERY quick steering for a liter bike. Decent power, a bit buzzy and not as smooth in general as the others.

R1 - Great handling, not as quick as honda, more stable. More low end torque and the engine is smoother than the honda. BEST LOOKS! My favorite bike I've owned.

GSXR1300 - the busa. All you need to know.... Unbelievable power.

Quick Reply: Motorcycles...