Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mustang Mach E, Ford's $45k EV

Old 11-18-2019, 10:36 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Hey, Mitsu used the Eclipse name for its new crappy SUV, Porsche used the Turbo brand for its electric sedan, and in one generation BMW turned the 6-series from a handsome coupe/vert/sedan to a hunchbacked tall wagon. I can't wait for the new Camaro and Corvette SUVs!!
Old 11-18-2019, 12:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it is the right car for the current marketplace. If well implemented it will review and sell just fine.

I am not a big Mustang, EV, or SUV fan but the country has been trending that direction.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:54 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I think it looks pretty good, all things considered. I'm not in the market for a vehicle like that but it looks miles better than a lot of them, in my opinion.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Welp I wanted to do some writing so I dropped 3000 words on this. It’s too long and flow isn’t great. I haven’t written creatively since high school. I’m proud of the ideas though.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/ford-...ang-1839966112
Old 11-21-2019, 05:55 AM

Received 426 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I think it looks pretty good, all things considered. I'm not in the market for a vehicle like that but it looks miles better than a lot of them, in my opinion.

I reminds me of the Jag E-pace (not I-pace), and I think it looks nice as well. Just not sure I would pay $65k for a Ford just to get some of the niceties. For that money I'd buy something else.

Frankly, it went under the radar, but as long as it is under $45k, the announcement of the Rav 4 Prime might be a the hot seller between the two. Only 39 miles of range on electric, but that will allow lots of commuters to be electric only 90% of the time, 300 hp, and under 6 second to sixty. The numbers on the Mach E might be much better, but I think the Toyota will be priced to steal all of their thunder.

I don't speak for the buying public, but I saw the Mach E and said I like the looks but wont buy one at those prices, and saw the Toyota (assuming it will be priced much less) and thought, that is something I would buy. I think most people will have the same thinking. The new Rav will be faster than the cars most people have ever owned, it will operate as an electric for most trips but without any range anxiety, it will be a Toyota, it will be "nice enough" if not as luxurious inside, and presumably cost a 1/4 less for the top trim. I think Toyotas packaging is far more attractive to the current market. It is already based on a car that sells in huge numbers too. The Ford is a better looker though.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:33 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Good point on the RAV4 Prime. I got to ride in a friend's new RAV4 Hybrid two weeks ago and he was averaging over 38 mpg lifetime in that thing, which is amazing for an AWD, tall, relatively roomy SUV. It also can operate as an electric vehicle, but under much more limited circumstances and range compared to the Prime.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - hybrids make way more sense for most people in North America, given the fact that many of us do travel relatively long distances at one point or another, have to endure cold weather (not good for BEVs), and also allow freedom of mobility if power is out (quite common in areas with bad weather / fires / etc).
The following users liked this post:
vader1 (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 05:06 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Not for me. The name, or the vehicle. I have never owned a Ford and just spent the weekend with my brother who owned 3 recent models, and he said "Never again." He might be an outlier but claimed all three were good for about 50,000 miles and then started falling apart. Don't think that would deter me from a low mile Mustang GT if I wanted one though.

Holy crap, the Mach E GT trim STARTS at $65k??????? Yikes.
Ford has learned from everyone else that a cheap or mid price EV that anybody is going to buy is not possible yet. Look Bolt an i3. Battery prices will get there eventually. In the mean time they have to start at the high end. $65k sounds like a lot of money to me and then you look at what people are paying for F-150s and it’s high but not crazy.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:49 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Fwiw the Bolt looks dorky, as do many EVs below $70k, with the exception of Teslas.

At least this Mustang looks pretty good.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:46 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I think the 45k option is a pretty good deal. I want a full EV though, and not a hybrid.

I have a few guys at work that have hybrid Volts, and they have never put gas in them.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:17 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,627 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Fwiw the Bolt looks dorky, as do many EVs below $70k, with the exception of Teslas.

At least this Mustang looks pretty good.
Assuming you aren't including the new Tesla truck.

Quick Reply: Mustang Mach E, Ford's $45k EV