Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

My Accident at Laguna Seca :(

Old 01-15-2002, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Accident at Laguna Seca :(

Well... I was one of the two unfortunate people that go into an accident at Laguna Seca. Through out the whole day, the instructors were saying that everybody's goal today (1/14/02) should be to drive their cars back home. With 60 or so cars being there, the last thing that went through my mind was that I would get into an accident, and be the ONLY one to not be able to drive my car home (385 miles away). Before I got into the accident, I had three sessions on the track. One iwth the instructor driving, and two with me driving and the instructor next to me. Both times, my instructor said I did great (for a Novice). I was hitting my apex's, tracking out nicely, and overall just kept the car very smooth and under control. After lunch, my instructor gave me the OK to go ahead and drive the track by myself. My guest and I get in the car, and get ready to go! I pulled up, and Greg gave me the signal to "go". The first lap, I take kinda easy just like everybody else does to warm up the tires. I finish the first lap, go down the straight through turn 1, and get ready to take turn two. So far, I was taking the turn perfectly, just like my instructor had told me to. I hit my apex, the tire make that squeking noise from when drive over the paint, and get ready to track out. As I'm half way through tracking out, I gave the car to much gas. Instantly, the rear end swing out, and the car drifted right into the inside wall. The air bags deployed, and we just sat into the car until the truck came. and took us to the ambulance. We were both ok and had no injuries. No other cars were involved in the accident either. After we were done with the paramedics, I walked over to the padock area where my car was parked, with no car there to put my helmet it. I stood there and watched as the tow truck pulled my car of the track and into the padock. I couldn't believe that it was my car. I figured that if I had gotten into and accident, it wouldn't have been that bad, but never once did the thought go through my head that I wouldn't be driving my car home. When the car was taken off the tow truck, a lot of people came over to look. A lot of people didn't know that I was the driver of the car. It was hard listening to all the people talking about the car and taking pictures of it and videtaping it. All I could do was just stand and watch. I called the insurance company and told them what happened. They sent me out a tow truck and I had my car shipped to a Honda dealer. Talked to the service department manager, filled out some paper work and waited for Enterprise to come pick me up. My guest and I said bye to the people at the dealer and took of to the rental place. They were kind enough to stick us in a four-door, green, Ford Focus. We left Monterey at about 6:00 P.M. and arrived home at 11:30, with my S2000 385 miles away. The hardest part of all of this, was figuring out a way to tell my dad. My dad was totally against me coming to Laguna Seca from the begining. He told me not to go cause I'm gonna get into an accident and that it's dangerous. Well, look what happened. No you see why telling my dad was the hardest. After I ended up telling him this morning, I can't even tell you how much better I felt. No the other hard part? Waiting for my car to get better.

On a better note, the part of the day that I did get to drive on the track, I had a lot of fun. I want to thank my insttructor Shawn for being so helpful, and taking me for such an awesome ride in his car. Dave, for also taking me for an awesome ride in his Supercharged S2000. The gentelmen who spoke during the drivers meeting who drove the black '98 NSx for also giving me a fun ride in his car. Greg Stevens wife for being so helpful and comforting after the accident. Cresta and the lady that was with her (sorry I didn't catch your name) who also greatly tried to make me feel better, Silver (sorry, don't remember your real name) for being real cool and offering your help, and most of all, the people who I caravaned up here with, the Irvine S2000 Team. You guys are such a great and down to earth group of people. I can't wait till I get my car back so I can go on drives with you guys.

I also just want to give Cresta and extra thank you. She missed the group photo because she stayed down in the padock with me while my car was being put on the group photo. She also gave my friend a ride to the Honda dealership and along came with them was another gentelmen who's name I missed, I blieve it was Mike. They were so nice that they found both me and my friend a ride back to LA, but since I was goingto rent a car, it wasn't needed.

And last but not least, I want to apologize to all the people in the C class for me getting the whole session cancleled after only one lap.

Hope all of you had a great time, and I'll see you guys again at Thunder Hill!!!
The following users liked this post:
d1rtyc4r (03-23-2017)
Old 01-15-2002, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice writeup man... and again I offer my condolences to you for your car... I saw a lot of shocked faces surrounding the car as it was being unramped from the tow truck. Let us know how things work out!

Actually one other thing, any idea how much tread was left on the rear tires and how old the rears were? Regardless, I am very very glad that I shelled out money for fresh rears before going to Laguna Seca. I lost the rear end twice from coming in 3-4 mph too hot on two different corners, and I figure the outcome would have been much worse if I had kept my barely 3/32" tread rears.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:19 PM

My rear tires were new. Remember how we were talking about it at the gas station and that I wanted to put on my old tires but nobody would? My front tires had a little tread left before they were down to the wear bars. So yeah, rear tires were new pole position SO-2s.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:26 PM
pll

I'm glad you made it back to So Cal. The car looked pretty bad yesterday. These track events are fun and you can learn a lot from them. It's unfortunate that your first track experience was at Laguna Seca. It's a difficult track and it has walls Thunderhill is a great track for a novice (no walls, lots of dirt run offs). Thunderhill was my first real track event. I did my first spinout there.

Another thing you might want to look into is doing a driving class from one of the racing schools (Skip Barber, Russell Racing) or participate in the NASA High Performance Driving Experience (HPDE) events (http://www.nasaproracing.com/schedules/socal.html). I've been to several NASA HPDE events. They are relatively inexpensive and in HPDE 1, you get an instructor by your side for each run. You can stay in HPDE 1 for as long as you need to before moving on to HPDE 2.

See you at Thunderhill!
Old 01-15-2002, 02:27 PM

Vtec Racer,

Glad to hear from you because I constantly asked what ever happened to you and your friend after the group photo. I assume that you were joining us for the dinner at El Torrito and then you both bunk with Team Irvine. Anyway, glad you made it back safe and sound. I share your grievance over the whole incident as well. We will meet again once your insurance repairs your damages and replace your hood with a carbon fiber vented unit. Post on the forum when you are back on your feet and we will safely meet with you somewhere to talk and eat some grub locally.

Tan
Old 01-15-2002, 02:44 PM

My heart goes out to you man. I saw an instructor spin an S2K on turn 11... The stock cars definitely appear to snap without much notice. Good thing is you're both OK. Great write up. Hope you get your S2K back soon.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:10 PM

that's gotta be heart wrenching...sorry to hear it dude but glad you're ok
Old 01-15-2002, 03:14 PM

Wow that is really unfortunate. I am glad you and your guest were ok. I have spun out in my s2k and hit another car....so I know how it feels Hopefully they can make her like new again. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:15 PM

it seems like the S is very prone to a rear spin out.. is it because the car is light weight in the rear or because of bad tires??
so far what i have heard when people get into accidents is due to a rear spinout..

is there anything out there that can remedy this problem?

VTEC RACER,

dont worry, your car will be back as good as new in no time, the good thing is that you and your rider didnt get hurt.
you live to drive another day.
Old 01-15-2002, 04:03 PM

VTEC Racer,

Wow!

Very sorry to hear about this. Glad that you are OK!

I was at Watkins Glen, my first time on a track at full speed, in July '01. It was a Track Time school and an excellent one at that. A Vette spun out in front of me while I was in a very sharp turn. As let off on the gas, I suddenly discovered what trailing throttle oversteer was all about! At that time, I was also about 400 miles from my home base and was thinking rental car, too.

This happened on my second to last run on Day 2. Luckily, I did not crash, but if I did, I would have wrote it off as an expensive learning experience.

The thing is, you did learn something significant that day about high speed driving, and most importantly, about yourself.

Do not be discouraged. As I rode back home to Massachusetts, I replayed this nasty ride in mind many times over (I still do!) yet, I would love to do this all over again.

You will definitely be much smoother the next time around.

Here's hoping that your car is repaired soon and is better than new!

Good luck!

John

Quick Reply: My Accident at Laguna Seca :(