Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New C&D article- Fun to Drive

Old 09-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's a lot of words ^
Old 09-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rednine,Sep 7 2008, 06:42 AM
Transmission problems in almost every early 2000 Sienna and Pilot. Bad enough Honda increased the warranty to 7 years...and in the Accord as well...

I'll tell you what. I have an S2000. After two years I had to replace the top and 3 times the window regulator on the drivers side. This summer the windshield, not because it was broken but pitted to hell. The front bumber and hood will need to be repainted next year and I have never driven on a gravel road once!
There is no 2000 Pilot. We have an '04 Pilot here - reliable as a rock, with no problems. Oh, we also have an '01 Accord. No transmission problems either, after 8 years of ownership.

Your S must've been an exception. Either you're making it up or you have bad luck with that S2000. Not every S2000 is like that.

IMO, you spew as much BS as anyone.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:58 PM

So I got the year wrong on the Pilot. Big deal. Sue me.

I had a 01 Odyssey that was recalled. There was also a recall on the 2003 Pilot. Honda techs used a camera to read the serial number off the interior of the tranny. If it was in sequence the tranny was replaced. Do a search, the proof is there. Warranties were stretched to 7 years and 100,000 on all Odysseys. Affected trannies in the Pilot were replaced or repaired.
Warranties are stretched on all 2001 Accords to 7 years or 100,00 miles. Whether or not you had the problem means squat. Here is a link. "No please, don't thank me if it saves you $3,500 some day...

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliabil...da&model=Accord

Here is a link on the Odyssey.
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliabil...a&model=Odyssey

No extension of the warranty on the Pilot, just a replacement or fix of affected first year 2003 trannies. So I was partially wrong. Sorry. Might give you some ammo though someday if you experience failure. No don't thank me. Please! (update: read the post below by Mr Rednine regarding Pilot recalls.)

I told you what I had done to my S. Whether or not you believe me also means squat to me. Do a search on tsb's or just do a search on here. All of these issues have been discussed. You missed the top problems! Hard to believe. Get ready. Personally replacing the top (Honda paid for the top, I paid labor) and the regulators (under warranty) didn't bother me too much. It is the people who had to do so after the warranty period who got burned. While your at it, do a search on rust issues (can be done on this site) on our S's. Been discussed at length as well.

I'm glad you had good experiences with both your Hondas. Wish you continued good fortune. They are great vehicles. You been lucky so far with your Accord Why did you buy it though? Has to be the worse looking model Accord ever. It is an ugly mofo. Looks like the ass end is smiling. It's why they did a refresh a couple years in on the rear.

Now as to those signs you posted...Perhaps in the future you might take a moment to verify what you are saying? You looking a little foolish right now.

It's all good.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:09 PM

Aw hell! I couldn't resist.

Here is a link to transmission problems in the Pilot.

http://www.edmunds.com/honda/pilot/2...merreview.html

Scroll down to read consumer complaints.

Sure sounds like you don't want to own it after it is out of warranty eh!
hmmmmm....wonder if (being on the same platform) the Pilot uses the Odyssey tranny but just not experiencing the same level of complaints, simply as fewer Pilots have been sold.

No don't thank me if you have a future problem and some ammo now!

By the way, here is some info on the 2003 Pilot transmission recall.

http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-reca...ilot/index.html

Might interest you to search the 04's as they had a recall as well.

Just thought of something! The last line of your post responding to mine goes exactly like this. "IMO, you spew as much BS as anyone."
You could thank me for all the information I provided you by deleting it and maybe posting "thank you Mr. Rednine. Your my hero!"

Just kidding.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many people reading a thread called "New C&D article- Fun to Drive, M3 and NSX > Z06" do you think give a damn about the reliability of 2001 Honda Odysseys?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:54 PM

Just guessing but so far I would say silverstreak and Yellow S and by the sounds of it, possibly yourself! Hey you had to have read it to know what it was about.

Put your reading glasses back on and take it from the top. You need to pedal a little slower and read a little closer. I'm sorry to the 'thread starter' for hijacking his thread a tad.

Just edumacating a couple of NA bashers who think Metrics can do no wrong.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Sep 7 2008, 06:42 PM
How many people reading a thread called "New C&D article- Fun to Drive, M3 and NSX > Z06" do you think give a damn about the reliability of 2001 Honda Odysseys?
Seriously. All this mindless bantering is useless.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:16 PM

No.
I don't agree. This is an automotvie forum for crying out loud!

If you are going to bash the NA manufacturers back it up. Not with 'my friends friend stories.' Give us some personal, first hand experience.

If you are going to spread the gospel that the Japanese or European manufacturers can walk on water, back it up. First hand experience.

If you can't do either. don't post your BS. Sounds pretty simple to me.

We have enough of a struggle going on right now with our economy and the auto industry. Personally, I believe a hell of a lot of it stems from this defeatism, anti NA mentality our label conscious youngsters have bought into.

Spew it someplace else. Not on a car forum full of knowledgable automotive enthusiasts.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Rednine,Sep 7 2008, 06:54 PM] Just guessing but so far I would say silverstreak and Yellow S and by the sounds of it, possibly yourself! Hey you had to have read it to know what it was about.

Put your reading glasses back on and take it from the top. You need to pedal a little slower and read a little closer.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Banned

Let me ask you this: why have all the American auto journalists, consumer reporters, and whatnot, been spreading the word that Japanese vehicles have superior reliability and quality for the last 2-3 decades? Conspiracy? Perhaps the Japanese government have paid them?

Go preach to those American writers!

Also, with the Detroit automakers being in the crapper, do you think that's because their vehicles have been so great in the last 3 or so decades? Is it also a conspiracy? It must be, huh?

Quick Reply: New C&D article- Fun to Drive