Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Daily

Old 04-13-2013, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Daily

So this is my new ride...a 2003 Nighthawk Black Acura CL Type-S six speed. First off, it is replacing a 1996 Toyota Avalon. The Avalon hit 245,xxx and pretty much said it had enough. I am so impressed with the technology and luxury options in this 10 year old car. Things like, automatic mirrors that angle down when put in reverse or memory seats that match the key fob that unlock the car are nice amenities in a daily driver.

The six speed transmission is nice, but we have all been so spoiled with the s2000 transmission. I don't think I will ever find one that is better. I would describe the s2000 trans as tight and precise...I would describe the CLS as silky and vague.

The other biggest thing I am having a tough time adjusting to is the driving position. I just can't get the seat in a position that feels just right. The steering wheel feels too big and too far away and the clutch feels too close. I'm still researching if the clutch can be adjusted.

The ride height is obnoxiously high. Will hopefully get some Tein SS Coilovers in the near future.

The motor is pretty much a gem. Not unique and special like the s2000, but good for its class. Great power and economy. (I'm seeing over 25mpg on mixed driving) The car has just north of 125,000 miles so I am going to do the following maintenance: oil change, trans flush, brake fluid flush, spark plugs, k and n drop in filter, cabin filter, and valve adjustment. (The timing belt and clutch have recently been replaced). Anything else that I should be looking to do for maintenance?

If anybody has any question/comments regarding the car, please chime in. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:45 PM

dude, i got an auto CL-s awhile ago because it has like 28k miles on a 2001, but just like i read all over the net, the auto blew out in 3 months after purchase. i hear nothing bad about the 6speed. that J series is sexy, get an intake/exhaust on that beeeatch
Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
dude, i got an auto CL-s awhile ago because it has like 28k miles on a 2001, but just like i read all over the net, the auto blew out in 3 months after purchase. i hear nothing bad about the 6speed. that J series is sexy, get an intake/exhaust on that beeeatch
I can't believe how bad the AT was on these cars. Even when they were rebuilt, they would still fail. I'm glad I found a 6 speed. I think the J series motor is pretty too. Esp now that I cleaned her up a bit. I just added a K and N drop in filter. Not much in the way of aftermarket support for exhaust systems.

[/URL]
Old 04-18-2013, 03:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car has a great motor, lots of torque. Exhaust doesn't do much for it though, but intake and headers made a big difference. Comptech use to make some great parts for it and the anti sway bar kit help it handle a little less like a boat. The comptech exhaust was also axle back only. If you want exhaust for sound maybe just get some nice mufflers installed.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by MaxGeek
The car has a great motor, lots of torque. Exhaust doesn't do much for it though, but intake and headers made a big difference. Comptech use to make some great parts for it and the anti sway bar kit help it handle a little less like a boat. The comptech exhaust was also axle back only. If you want exhaust for sound maybe just get some nice mufflers installed.
Yea, I noticed the aftermarket support for this vehicle is not very big. Being my daily, I think I am going to simply lower it, detail it and call it a day.