Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New lotus Evora 400

Old 08-08-2016, 07:27 AM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Interesting comment by Jack Baruth in the comments of the Jalopnik article:

"GT4 sucks compared to the Evora."

He's not very complimentary of the GT4, at all, in later comments. Just interesting to me that he makes a direct comparison and favors the Evora 400 (heavily).

You know... I’m going to walk my attitude back a bit here, since this isn’t my article, it’s my brother’s, and I know he wouldn’t appreciate me getting bitchy about things.

If you’ve driven a bunch of cars on track, then I can make this simple for you:

The Cayman GT4 is a wide-body pig with massive tire stagger and a deliberately neutered engine. The steering is nothing like that Formula 2000 you drove.

The Evora is, by contrast, very like the F2000, at or least it’s closer. A motion of the wheel gives you a corresponding motion of the car. You have a sense of what the tires are doing. You can trust the car to tell you what it’s doing through kino feedback instead of watching the front end for visual disconnect the way you do with a GT4.

The GT4 is like a shitty Corvette.

The Evora is like an oversized Elise.

Hope that makes things clearer. I have an eight hour flight this evening so I’m not cheerful. Enjoy your weekend.
Who is Jack Baruth? Easy to talk trash when this Jack guy likely doesn't own either car and he's very clearly in a very, very small minority with his opinion of the GT4.

Since I don't like flushing money down the toilet, two of the main reasons I will keep my GT4 is it won't depreciate like the Titantic going to the bottom of the ocean and reliability. Those two reasons alone are enough for me. I will throw one more in: 3.8L Porsche flat six versus supercharged 3.5L corporate Toyota V6. And yes I do know the engine in the Lotus sounds surprisingly good in 400 form and it's very quick, but it just doesn't have that flat six sound I love. YMMV.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:39 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Who is Jack Baruth?
From wikipedia - Jack Baruth (born November 8, 1971) is a former professional BMX racer, cycling instructor, and cycling/auto journalist, perhaps best known for writing the "One Racer's Perspective" and "BMX Basics" columns for the National Bicycle League, for his regular (and sometimes controversial) contributions to The Truth About Cars and for maintaining the now defunct bmxbasics website under his pen name Jim Boswell. As of 2013, Jack Baruth is now a contributor to Road and Track magazine. On July 12, 2013, he became the temporary editor-in-chief of The Truth About Cars after previous chief, Bertel Schmitt, quit.

As a car racer, he races in the NASA, Koni Challenge, and Skip Barber Mazdaspeed Series.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:40 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I love the Cayman and Evora. I think I'd rather have the Evora, because of the back seats and I like the idea of an exotic chassis. I will say that the "upgraded" exterior styling on the Evora makes it look older than the old body work did.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Who is Jack Baruth? Easy to talk trash when this Jack guy likely doesn't own either car and he's very clearly in a very, very small minority with his opinion of the GT4.
He's a columnist for Road & Track as well as a sometimes racer... not sure if that gives him better qualifications.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/author/2556/jack-baruth/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Baruth

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/author/jack-baruth/
Old 08-08-2016, 08:06 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

The Evora's driving experience sounds amazing, especially the steering and chassis neutrality. I find they look quite a bit better, in person, than they do in photos, and they're definitely rare.

That said, a Cayman still LOOKS far better to me and at my skill level, probably wouldn't be inferior for driving (track or otherwise), especially the GT4. As QUIKAG pointed out, I'd also trust it more from a reliability standpoint.

I'd still gladly own any of these cars.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1470668992' post='24034733

He's not very complimentary of the GT4, at all, in later comments. Just interesting to me that he makes a direct comparison and favors the Evora 400 (heavily).

You know... I’m going to walk my attitude back a bit here, since this isn’t my article, it’s my brother’s, and I know he wouldn’t appreciate me getting bitchy about things.

The Cayman GT4 is a wide-body pig with massive tire stagger and a deliberately neutered engine. The steering is nothing like that Formula 2000 you drove.

The Evora is, by contrast, very like the F2000, at or least it’s closer. A motion of the wheel gives you a corresponding motion of the car. You have a sense of what the tires are doing. You can trust the car to tell you what it’s doing through kino feedback instead of watching the front end for visual disconnect the way you do with a GT4.

Hope that makes things clearer. I have an eight hour flight this evening so I’m not cheerful. Enjoy your weekend.

Since I don't like flushing money down the toilet, two of the main reasons I will keep my GT4 is it won't depreciate like the Titantic going to the bottom of the ocean and reliability. Those two reasons alone are enough for me. I will throw one more in: 3.8L Porsche flat six versus supercharged 3.5L corporate Toyota V6. And yes I do know the engine in the Lotus sounds surprisingly good in 400 form and it's very quick, but it just doesn't have that flat six sound I love. YMMV.
FWIW, Baruth has an early 993 and a 986 Boxster S in his garage, so he is no Porsche hater.

He is, however, of the habit of imitating Clarkson and the over-the-top style rhetoric because rage = controversy = attention.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:20 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Understand the comparison to the GT4, but isn't that a moot point as they were mostly unobtanium and production is sold out, isn't it?

I think the real story here is what you can get an Evora for versus a Cayman S or Cayman GTS, especially now that the 981s have gone to 4cyl engines. Also, it's insane how much 981s (and all Porsches) are once you start piling on a few options; you'll sail past $80k easy. Then you're in the noise as far as the differences. Most of the Lotus options are somewhat silly things like extended carbon kits and a lightweight battery; you could easily skip that crap and not notice.

A $10,000 “Carbon Pack” swaps some trim pieces for carbon fiber with a claimed weight savings of 11 pounds. Another $8,000 gets a titanium exhaust and $1,690 unlocks a lithium-ion battery option, which save 22 pounds each...

That’s $19,690 for a 55 pound weight reduction. But wait! Call now and Lotus will remove the air conditioning and useless rear seat for free, bringing the total diet to 93 pounds.
http://jalopnik.com/it-costs-19-690-...evo-1785486906

Frankly, I'm a Porsche fan, but if I'm shopping in this league I'd be tempted to go Lotus or Alfa or something just because it ISN'T the Porsche that everyone else has. Easy to say from my chair though, harder to swallow when you're looking at the running costs and depreciation of those versus the Porsches.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:28 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
Originally Posted by QUIKAG' timestamp='1470670031' post='24034758
[quote name='JonBoy' timestamp='1470668992' post='24034733']

FWIW, Baruth has an early 993 and a 986 Boxster S in his garage, so he is no Porsche hater.

He is, however, of the habit of imitating Clarkson and the over-the-top style rhetoric because rage = controversy = attention.
[/quote]

This is very well stated.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:54 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Fully loaded Evora 400 is MSRP for 105K. I bet in 2017, prices will come down or Lotus will offer "competitive car owner" rebates and the like.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys really hit the nail on the head with the comments. The evora is a great car, but I doesn't have the porsche name and record. Because of that if lotus can't get people into the show rooms to drive the cars then they will never sell well.

Quick Reply: New lotus Evora 400