Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

new mustang SVT most powerful mustang

Old 03-26-2006, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Mar 25 2006, 07:55 PM
how did you like the convert? Suprisingly the convert actually got 0-60 and 1/4 mile times just barely a bit faster than the coupes.
I only sat in the vert, I drove the coupe. Basically, I could like the car. It's not nimble but it handles with confidence. The drive train is excellent. I drove a 350Z for the first time today. The Nissan motor pails in comparison. I don't care if the rated power difference is small (300 vs what 310?) the difference felt huge. The Ford just has so much more torque when ever you want it. The gear shift isn't S2000 but it doesn't impede your progress. I can say the same thing about the 350Z but I think the Ford shifter is marginally better. The rest of the controls were also fine. I like the styling intent of the gauges but I'm afraid it doesn't work with the think rimmed wheel. I'm also not overly fond of the large diameter.
The big issues is they just had too much plastic that all seemed the same to me. Again, Honda does a very good job of hiding the fact that the CRV and Pilot interiors are also a sea of plastic. They change textures and add false lines to make it look like the interior is made from lots of small panels rather than a few large ones. It's a bit of trickery but it works. Really, I think that's possibly the most disappointing part of the car. It really is a good car that just needs a bit more money spent on the interior.
Now after all that, with the right color combinations (not the all black interior of my test car) I could overlook the interior. I don't care for all black interiors because I find they make things seem cheeper than they really are. The Vette with a gray interior looks great. With all black all I notice are the flaws.
I can't say what the vert is like but for a few things. The top was lined and seemed high quality. From what I've heard the car was designed to be a vert from day one. It's not so much a case of the Vert adding little weight as the coupe was never given the change to loose the extra weight.
I certainly would drive the car. In the mid twenties I would overlook the issues with the interior (basically all cosmetic) and love the car for it's strengths (it does have them). On the other hand, at $40k I would walk right on by to the Chevy dealer and get a stripped Vette.*
*If I needed 4 seats I might have to reconsider.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:25 PM

im seriously considering the SVT.....Just hope by Jan/feb it will be down to MSRP?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:58 AM

3 link, solid rear axle?. I think some previous Cobra models had independent 4 wheel suspensions. Unless I am misunderstanding the 3 link part, it seems to me that they should bite the bullet and and put an independent rear suspension on this guy. I notice that the Charger has that feature.

At the weight of this car I suspect it will be an acceptable but not great handler and would never make you forget your S2k in this area. I also think this won't make much differerence to people who just want the engine/torque/badge. But it might to folks making the stripped down Corvette comparison people have mentioned.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:27 PM

now its bumped to 475HP.......just read forbes