Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The new Supra - who wanted this?

Old 05-17-2019, 09:35 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,916 Posts

The new Supra is a lot more exciting than Honda's new sportscar offering.

The following users liked this post:
Saki GT (05-18-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Cant wait to get my hands on one!
Old 05-17-2019, 11:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
With a BMW total cost of ownership. Just keep that part in mind when looking at the price tag.
According to the Eng. Explained video, he asked the engineers a question specific to reliability. Toyota engineers stated that they brought the engine in house, stripped it apart, did all their internal testing to make sure it met Toyota's reliability standards. They expect it to be a very reliable engine.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:35 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Toyota has completely forgotten how to make a performance straight/inline 6 engine.

They were synonymous with Japanese performance with the 2jzgte, 3sgte and 4age but since then what has come? 2zzfe? Please...
Old 05-17-2019, 11:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The look of the new Supra has grown on me and I'm liking it. Also, judging by several video reviews I've seen, it's a fantastic performer. I'll definitely be test driving it once it hits the local dealership!
Old 05-18-2019, 04:35 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
If there wasn't this BMW cooperation, agreement, whatever, you wouldn't have this car. Toyo had no inline 6 in dev and they were insistent it be an inline 6. I guess they could have put one of their V6's in it and turbocharged it but you have to remember the Japanese are traditionalists, moreso than any other country that manus vehicles. So do a vs. Tradition (inline 6) vs. Tradition (all in house). Good luck with that.
I hear you, but I don't buy that, given Toyota's size and capability. Is not that Toyota can't build its own sports cars, it's that it doesn't have the desire to, and would rather do it on the cheap as a compromised partnership.

Cars like the Supra used to be built because their automakers had something to prove. Now it's just a marketing exercise.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint
Toyota has completely forgotten how to make a performance straight/inline 6 engine.

They were synonymous with Japanese performance with the 2jzgte, 3sgte and 4age but since then what has come? 2zzfe? Please...

Well, I kind of agree with you, but I don't blame that on engineers forgetting how to build one, the company leadership just is not interested in much other than transportation appliances for the masses. While it is certainly not a high horsepower monster, if a little company like Mazda can spend the money on a dedicated platform for a small number selling Miata (which is also very affordable by the way) then a company that is moving back and forth around the number one automaker in the world can certainly afford whatever R&D it would take to engineer and build a dedicated sports car.

They decided long ago that instead of trying to lure people with gonads into the showroom with cars that excite them, they would go the other route and build cars that excite soccer moms. Either can bring in money and build lifetime fans, but they must have found one strategy brings in more money and gonads lost. If they still built things like the SW20 MR2, I'd still be in Toyota showrooms and still buying Toyota cars. They don't so I don't.

Last edited by vader1; 05-18-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:17 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
The new Supra is a lot more exciting than Honda's new sportscar offering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awwCEHcssGo
No kidding. Another "Sport CUV", woo hoo. That commercial is both irritating and depressing.

With few exceptions like the Miata, most car companies no longer make sports cars. Most performance-oriented cars today would be considered GT's instead. Not that there is anything wrong with that if a GT is what you want. At some point the GT will be a thing of the past as manufacturers place more emphasis on self-driving cars. At that point I imagine that people will be arguing over the sport self-driving cars.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:09 AM

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by freddydela
I see the value of this car. Toyota already brought back the mkiv Supra, is called the LC500
This!
Old 05-20-2019, 05:48 AM

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Exclamation

#93;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5evCL2ex1Y

New Video with some prototype HKS parts.

Quick Reply: The new Supra - who wanted this?