Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

the new tesla 3

Old 05-30-2018, 06:54 AM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Before we get too far into the praise of the Bolt and Volt, let me say I looked at both with intent to perhaps purchase. The powertrains were fine, the interiors are horrible. Yes horrible. The plastics and carpet in the Volt rival an early 80’s car. Both cars are ergonomically laid out well but the plastics are the cheapest quality aI have seen in years and the Bolt seats are uncomfortable with just bad cloth or what passes for leather. Put an ELR quality interior in it, I’ll buy one but the Bolt is a $20,000 economy car with an electric powertrain. Priced as such, it is a decent car, at $40k it is also a rip off. Your average $25,000 Kia has a far nicer interior than either car. If GM could figure that out then both would sell in much greater numbers. I read the the difference in cost between decent interior materials and cheap crap was less than a hundred bucks to the automaker. If that is true, GM has its head up its own butt with those two cars. The ELR at $70,000 was insane. But put an interior of that quality in the Bolt or Volt and you have revolutionary cars that beat Tesla at their own game. Instead you feel like you spent $40 large to sit in the penalty box. Look at the quality of the interior of a GTI for $25k. GM has no excuse for the cheapness.
Once you get past the gimmicky interior, you're gonna be unimpressed with Tesla interiors, especially the basic interiors. I'm even talking about the model s not just the 3.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 07:28 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Before we get too far into the praise of the Bolt and Volt, let me say I looked at both with intent to perhaps purchase. The powertrains were fine, the interiors are horrible. Yes horrible. The plastics and carpet in the Volt rival an early 80’s car. Both cars are ergonomically laid out well but the plastics are the cheapest quality aI have seen in years and the Bolt seats are uncomfortable with just bad cloth or what passes for leather. Put an ELR quality interior in it, I’ll buy one but the Bolt is a $20,000 economy car with an electric powertrain. Priced as such, it is a decent car, at $40k it is also a rip off. Your average $25,000 Kia has a far nicer interior than either car. If GM could figure that out then both would sell in much greater numbers. I read the the difference in cost between decent interior materials and cheap crap was less than a hundred bucks to the automaker. If that is true, GM has its head up its own butt with those two cars. The ELR at $70,000 was insane. But put an interior of that quality in the Bolt or Volt and you have revolutionary cars that beat Tesla at their own game. Instead you feel like you spent $40 large to sit in the penalty box. Look at the quality of the interior of a GTI for $25k. GM has no excuse for the cheapness.
Laying down the hammer lol. I'll respectfully disagree with them being horrible as that is a very subjective thing.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Once you get past the gimmicky interior, you're gonna be unimpressed with Tesla interiors, especially the basic interiors. I'm even talking about the model s not just the 3.
Oh I am not praising the model 3. I am just pointing out that we should not give the Volt or Bolt a pass either. The interiors look good in pictures, but don’t hold up in person, I am a little spoiled in that I have been playing in the deeper end of the car pool lately, but while plain, the S2000 interior used quality materials, my subie outback had surprisingly nice materials, my Highlander was bland and kind of cheap interior wise, but I drove the Volt and said “eegad!”

When you see in person how nice a GTI interior, as well as some other inexpensive cars, you cant get by with cheap and expect to sell these days. Some manufacturers do this on purpose thinking if you want nice you will step up to a more expensive model in their inventory and in GM’s case, models with a bigger margain. But I appreciate makers that just say anything we make will have the highest quality in the segment. Leafs have nicer materials at the same price point. I like both the Bolt and Volt but they are good cars in crappy interior wrappers and that is a shame when it is easy and inexpensive to do much better. Mazda should have their interior quality benchmarked by the industry as the gold standard in the price point. Compare a CX5 interior the the new Equinox, not even close. They should both be the same quality. I have purchased 2 new GM cars in my life, and if they fixed the interiors it might have been more.

Not trying to be to harsh on GM but those two models could be really dominant in their own segments, but you gotta feel like you are getting what you paid for and you spend all of your time inside the car staring at cheap plastics or nice materials. And if it is the former you feel disappointed regularly. I think my brother will wonder where his money went when he spends every traffic jam in the interior of his Model 3 as well. I crawled around a Model X at a Tesla showroom and that one was very nice inside, but it was $110k.

Last edited by vader1; 05-30-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Oh I am not praising the model 3. I am just pointing out that we should not give the Volt or Bolt a pass either.
BMW i3's interior is beautiful and an amazing synergy of design and materials.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
In a seriously overpriced car, but yeah I agree with that totally. I hated the i3 interiors in the car mag pictures, but my dealer had a few on the show floor when I got my last service and they are pretty darn cool inside. If you like the whole electric thingy, those used at $17k for a low mile lease return is a pretty good bargain.
mosesbotbol (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I love their interiors so much!! Such cool design and materials. And as said above, a really great deal used these days (don't know how they're selling any new). If I had a longer commute I might get one.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:00 PM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

Oh I am not praising the model 3. I am just pointing out that we should not give the Volt or Bolt a pass either. The interiors look good in pictures, but don’t hold up in person, I am a little spoiled in that I have been playing in the deeper end of the car pool lately, but while plain, the S2000 interior used quality materials, my subie outback had surprisingly nice materials, my Highlander was bland and kind of cheap interior wise, but I drove the Volt and said “eegad!”

When you see in person how nice a GTI interior, as well as some other inexpensive cars, you cant get by with cheap and expect to sell these days. Some manufacturers do this on purpose thinking if you want nice you will step up to a more expensive model in their inventory and in GM’s case, models with a bigger margain. But I appreciate makers that just say anything we make will have the highest quality in the segment. Leafs have nicer materials at the same price point. I like both the Bolt and Volt but they are good cars in crappy interior wrappers and that is a shame when it is easy and inexpensive to do much better. Mazda should have their interior quality benchmarked by the industry as the gold standard in the price point. Compare a CX5 interior the the new Equinox, not even close. They should both be the same quality. I have purchased 2 new GM cars in my life, and if they fixed the interiors it might have been more.

Not trying to be to harsh on GM but those two models could be really dominant in their own segments, but you gotta feel like you are getting what you paid for and you spend all of your time inside the car staring at cheap plastics or nice materials. And if it is the former you feel disappointed regularly. I think my brother will wonder where his money went when he spends every traffic jam in the interior of his Model 3 as well. I crawled around a Model X at a Tesla showroom and that one was very nice inside, but it was $110k.
Fair points, but I did find the quality of the volt interior ok, but the design just accentuates the cheaper nature of the car. The gti interior is good for the price point but I wouldn't say great, I just like their nice little touches that don't really cost anymore like the plaid seats. Mazda has really been nailing it lately though.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:19 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I've always been amazed that people take such bland and boring interiors with these expensive Tesla's. It feels like a no frills car but it's expensive because it doesn't burn gas. Electric cars do have their place, man we need to stop wasting gas on commuting and commercial transportation.

When you buy a Tesla you're over paying for electric technology and effectively hedging oil prices. Which while on the rise still failed to rise enough to bring about $10/gal gas, which is what's needed to make these price points work. Used is the smarter buy, particularly the S because you get free charging stations. They drop like a rock.

All these model 3s at $50k+ will be worthless in 3 years. By then you'll have eaten 20-30k in depreciation with the average person spending $2,000/year in gas. It just doesn't add up. Any used car getting 20+ MPG that you buy for 20-30k is a better purchase. But I don't think that's why people buy a tesla. At least that's not why they bought the S. It's status. The model 3 at $35k was to compete with GM. Mark my words. GM/Ford/Toyota/VW will crush Tesla when they focus on EV cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by rob-2:
JonBoy (05-31-2018), TrumpetTitan (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
All these model 3s at $50k+ will be worthless in 3 years. By then you'll have eaten 20-30k in depreciation with the average person spending $2,000/year in gas. It just doesn't add up. Any used car getting 20+ MPG that you buy for 20-30k is a better purchase. But I don't think that's why people buy a tesla. At least that's not why they bought the S. It's status. The model 3 at $35k was to compete with GM. Mark my words. GM/Ford/Toyota/VW will crush Tesla when they focus on EV cars.
My brother always buys a car and runs it halfway into the ground. He keeps them until they have 10 years and about 130,0000 miles on them and have pretty much no residual value anyway. From that perspective, he will get his money's worth, sort of. Because for the same $55k he could have had something much nicer on the inside. So he is spreading his depreciation over ten years just like any other car, but IMHO getting pretty much nothing nice inside the car and could get a pretty premium A4 for the same money. (or 3 series, or Acura, Lexus, etc.)

But my brother is a computer programmer nerd type who drives a Prius now. He does not come off like a save the planet guy. I have never heard him make a single eco-comment in his entire life. He just like the idea of "cutting edge" technology. But the funniest thing about the model 3 is, it was considered to be revolutionary 2 years ago when they sold the deposits and hope. The "cutting edge" part has largely been washed away by time and other manufacturers getting their products ready on on the cusp. So you aren't getting as much of "the future" as you were sold two years ago, and that $35,0000 has become $50,000+.

I think the performance and driving dynamics will thrill my brother for quite a while since he has been driving his Prius for a decade. He told me "I have a lot of pent up driving aggression from the last ten years driving that thing" so I think he will enjoy the heck out of it for a while. And 30-50 and 50-70 mph times are ridiculous on that car so I am sure it is fun. But a person that finances the majority of one of these cars might find they still owe $35,000 when something electric that performs the same, has the same range, and is better built can be had new for an ACTUAL $35,000, and then reality will sink in that they jumped the gun a little.
TrumpetTitan (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 06:46 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

But my brother is a computer programmer nerd type who drives a Prius now. He does not come off like a save the planet guy. I have never heard him make a single eco-comment in his entire life. He just like the idea of "cutting edge" technology.
My coworker has 3 Tesla's and is in the same boat.

Quick Reply: the new tesla 3