Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The new VW GTI MkV

Old 04-21-2006, 11:31 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by seung,Apr 21 2006, 06:36 AM
i'm picking mine up this monday.
it'll be my daily driver.
finally getting rid of the subaru.
hoorah.

What subi are you getting rid of?

Are you getting a DSG?

One thing I'm not crazy about is the plad seats, but I guess the optional leather will get rid of that.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Apr 20 2006, 02:10 PM
you need to have your S2000 checked out b/c it's not running on all cylinders.

Seriously, they are not in the same ballpark.

here's what you can expect from a S2000 0-60 and 1/4 mile: 5.4 sec/13.9 sec

here's what you can expect from a GTI 6.6 sec/14.9 sec

If you think the GTI is about the same as the S2000, then the S2000 is about the same as a M3 (4.8 sec/13.4 sec) they're not about the same.

HOWEVER..

I do think the GTI is a hell of a nice car for the money. Basically for ~$22K to $26K you can get most of what you need in a car.

For example, do I think a car like the Audi S4 or the RS4 are better than a GTI? Yes sure they are. But from $47K to $71k are they worth 2x or 3x the price of a GTI? Thats another story.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:38 PM

My brother bought a GTi w/DSG a couple of months ago. He just got his Fast. I hear they are going for a couple grand on Ebay. Back to the car. he must enjoy it much more than his Tc since he wont let me drive the car. I did take a ride and have a good look. The car's fit and finish is awesome, but according to vortex forums there have been trim problems on some cars. The room inside is pretty darn spacious for what it is. The rear seats are good and big enough for regular sized people. The dash is nice looking with cool looking gauges. I was disappointed with the stereo system. I think it has 11 speakers, but it didn't help the sound quality. I did hook up my IPOD through the IPOD dock. The sound from that was much better than the FM tuner. His sirius doesn't work for some reason though, but he isn't sure if he needs to activate it on-line or not. Once I got a ride I did notice it was a little harsh. Before I go any further, I'd like to explain something. I drive a Jaguar and a Lexus. So harsh for me might be cushy for some of you. The exhaust note was nice, and it does fell peppy. Not as fast as my S, but I'm sure it feels faster at driving speeds because of the wide torque band. I don't think one of the posters above gets it because he is comparing torque peak when it's the full curve that is more important. I think it feels tight with no sqweeks or rattles like some Hondas I've had. I think if I were younger with no family, I'd have one of these for a daily driver, it's that good. It has a combination of power, features, looks, and utility that makes it hard to beat.

Sam
Old 04-21-2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by rai,Apr 20 2006, 03:10 PM
you need to have your S2000 checked out b/c it's not running on all cylinders.

Seriously, they are not in the same ballpark.

here's what you can expect from a S2000 0-60 and 1/4 mile: 5.4 sec/13.9 sec

here's what you can expect from a GTI 6.6 sec/14.9 sec

If you think the GTI is about the same as the S2000, then the S2000 is about the same as a M3 (4.8 sec/13.4 sec) they're not about the same.

HOWEVER..

I do think the GTI is a hell of a nice car for the money. Basically for ~$22K to $26K you can get most of what you need in a car.

For example, do I think a car like the Audi S4 or the RS4 are better than a GTI? Yes sure they are. But from $47K to $71k are they worth 2x or 3x the price of a GTI? Thats another story.
maybe the top 5% of owners will get those times otherwise you will see on average low 14s.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:19 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BPUKiller,Apr 21 2006, 10:38 PM
I did hook up my IPOD through the IPOD dock. The sound from that was much better than the FM tuner.
Does the stereo control the IPOD via steering wheel controls and/or does the song name etc show up on the stereo? Or is it just a straight input for a signal?
Old 04-22-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by vtec9,Apr 21 2006, 01:21 PM
torque is deceiving.. prolly felt as fast, but definitely not.
Beat me to it
Old 04-22-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Apr 22 2006, 10:19 AM
Does the stereo control the IPOD via steering wheel controls and/or does the song name etc show up on the stereo? Or is it just a straight input for a signal?
I know the stereo controlled the IPOD and the name of the song was on the stereo, because the the IPOD sits in the glove box. I can't remember if we tried to control the songs through the buttons on the steering wheel, but I would imagine it would.

Sam
Old 04-22-2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by JasonU,Apr 20 2006, 02:30 PM
OK OK maybe I need to rephrase that. Like I said, it's not like we lined up and raced, it was just seat of the pants and some informal timing. Perhaps it was the VW's torque that gave me an illusion of it being faster than it really was.

Edit: remember, I'm in Colorado too... N/A cars do suffer from the 5000'+ altitude here, while F/I aren't too bothered by it.

Edit #2: Colorado Springs is actually at 6008 feet. Playing with some online calculators, at 6000 feet, using todays weather, air density is only 80.2% of sea level. Realitive Horsepower would be 80.9%, so my NA car would be at a 20% disadvantage due to altitude. Using an online 1/4 mile calculator, if my S pulled a 13.9 1/4 mile, it would only get a 15.1 1/4 mile at this altitude, which puts it about on par with the GTI standard 1/4 mile time. Since the GTI is an FI car, it isn't nearly as affected by the altitude, so our acceleration WOULD be somewhat similar.
So many myths and mistakes in this post I'm not even going to bother.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Euclid,Apr 21 2006, 06:17 AM
The word over at the vortex is VW is going to bring over 5000 R32's in 4 door/DSG only. But who really knows. There are also rumers of an R36, but VW is having a hard time making a DSG transmission that can handle the power of the 3.6L engine that will fit in the engine bay. But I'm sure we'll be getting an .:R, but what configuration and when is the mystery.
I met with VW's Moonraker project people a couple weeks ago and we were talking specifically about the challenges with bringing over the current Mk5 R32. VW is basically ready to pull the trigger on sending it over here, but there are some small details that have to be worked out such as crash testing them for US DOT regulations, and deciding what seats to put in them since the european recaros do not have side airbags. The Moonraker folks were kind enough to survey about 100 current Mk4 R32 owners to see what options they'd want in the new car, and they're taking that into consideration. (we told them we'd be happy with the same Konig K5000 seats as in our Mk4s, so hopefully they're willing to go with those instead of the GTi sport seats)

Yes, 4-door and DSG are very real possibilities, if VW decides to send it over as an R32 rather than as an R36.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by vAnt,Apr 22 2006, 01:34 PM
So many myths and mistakes in this post I'm not even going to bother.
Such as? If I'm so off base, don't just come off as pretentious, enlighten me.

Quick Reply: The new VW GTI MkV