Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NHTSA requiring cars after May 2018 to have backup cameras

Old 04-01-2014, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Driving is a privilege, not a right....
You need to read some US history and educate yourself. There are no "privileges" in this country. That's kind of what sets the USA apart from *every other nation* on the planet. It's a common error, but it's scary how common that error is among people who think they are "educated."

*All* rights belong to the people, and we only give our government permission to regulate some of those rights in the interest of public safety. We give the government the abilty to license drivers, but our government does not have the right to deny a person a drivers license indefintely, given all the paperwork is filed out properly and they have passed the tests. That is why states that require every licensed car to have car insurance have a risk insurance pool that is tasked with providing insurance to drivers that otherwise would be uninsurable.

If you can't be bothered to turn your head and look behind you while backing up, I certainly don't want you thinking staring at your dash is somehow making me, the pedestrian, safer. I don't even want you behind the wheel because you are stupid and lazy, but I concede your right to drive like a moron.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:54 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Exactly. Absolutely ridiculous that cars will now have an inflated cost because too many people are too ignorant to use a car in a competent fashion. Just in the last week I have nearly been ran off the road three times by people texting and driving. Requiring 'safety' features such as backup cameras on a car doesn't fix the real problem: people don't use common sense.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:07 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FurY
How on earth did we survive this long without them?
Thing is, some people DIDN'T survive without them. Ie, children have died after being run over by cars backing up when the driver couldn't see them - and not because the drivers weren't looking, but because the children were entirely in the blind spot. (However, I have no idea if having backup cameras will actually reduce the occurrences of such events.)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:42 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Have one on the wife's Si, most of the past 5 months it has been covered with snow and dirt.
Levi
Old 04-01-2014, 08:05 AM

Things like this just make me appreciate the S2000 even more. I'm not a huge fan of gov't imposed safety nannies (for many of the reasons listed above), but most of all, maybe I just don't want a car with a damn LCD screen in the dash. I love how minimalist the cockpit of the S2000 is, and how dark it goes at night. I'm trying to imagine an elegant way an LCD screen could be integrated into the dash, but I just can't.

I will say that the previous owner of my DD installed a backup camera, and the only times i DO use it are for maximizing every last inch of a parallel parking approach. If there's ever an opportunity for real danger (backing out of a spot, driveway, etc.) I don't use it. Why? Because I have eyes and a head that turns.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:14 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
Originally Posted by FurY' timestamp='1396289680' post='23089796
Thing is, some people DIDN'T survive without them. Ie, children have died after being run over by cars backing up when the driver couldn't see them - and not because the drivers weren't looking, but because the children were entirely in the blind spot. (However, I have no idea if having backup cameras will actually reduce the occurrences of such events.)
Today, around 200 people are killed in back up accidents annually, 50% under 5 or over 70 years of age. By 2054, this new rule is expected to save about 60 lives a year.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by Elistan' timestamp='1396357645' post='23091196
[quote name='FurY' timestamp='1396289680' post='23089796']
Today, around 200 people are killed in back up accidents annually, 50% under 5 or over 70 years of age. By 2054, this new rule is expected to save about 60 lives a year.
[/quote]

I fully expect people to be more stupid in 2054, and don't trust this projection.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:26 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

I fully expect driverless cars by 2050. The biggest cause of accidents in cars are human drivers, so just remove them from the equation and make them passengers.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I fully expect driverless cars by 2050. The biggest cause of accidents in cars are human drivers, so just remove them from the equation and make them passengers.
Then I fully expect and hope to be dead since I drive myself and won't have some automated car doing it for me
Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 PM

Backup camera? I loved the Land Rover's camera system. And I saw the new Nissan Pathfinder's camera system too.

It's stupid to mandate it, but I love toys. These are just more toys.

Quick Reply: NHTSA requiring cars after May 2018 to have backup cameras