Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NISSAN to kill TITAN?

Old 12-19-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Dec 19 2007, 02:02 PM
At least the Ford's tailgates don't buckle when more than a couple hundred pounds are placed on them like they do on the Tundra. That is pitiful IMO.

Not a huge fan of Ford products, but to imply they don't make a good truck is asinine. I prefer GM trucks personally as they have the best fuel economy, powertrains, and interiors on the market today.
asinine eh? Perhaps but not as stupid as suggesting that Toyota does not make good, reliable trucks.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:48 AM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Dec 19 2007, 12:29 PM
asinine eh? Perhaps but not as stupid as suggesting that Toyota does not make good, reliable trucks.
Who said Toyota didn't make a good, reliable truck? I certainly didn't. I just stated that their tailgate design is an absolute joke and makes me wonder where else they cut corners?

The Tundra is a competitive truck, but it is not class leading by a long shot in my opinion.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had my titan for a year now and no problems. i put 35k miles in one year! with multiple towing of my S.

I hope they dont discontinue the Titan. Awesome truck!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Dec 19 2007, 02:45 PM
I agree that the Titan is a nice truck. I ended up with a 5.7 Tundra but my close second choice was the Titan.
I had to buy in '05, I could not get anymore life out of my '95 Nissan XE-V6 4x4 KC Hardbody. Of course in '05 the Tundra was that little 7/8 scale thing. If I were buying today, I would still go Titan just because to me they look way better than the Tundra, inside and out. But as far as Toyota reliability, yup, they are indeed one of the better trucks out there.

I think it's sad something as great as a Titan could end up with a short life span, because I drove the F-150, I don't know what Ford uses to measure their horsepower, but I expect it is some 300 little ponies, because the Titan has just a few more than F-150, but the 2 feel as different as boiling water and ice cubes. Dodge, well they were out because of the stupid rear door design, I hate 4-full doors, and Chevy, it will be a cold f'ing day in hell before I give money to GM again, the purchase of my '94 S-10 ExtCab 4x4 with big engine option was the biggest piece of shitt I have ever owned, that thing spent as much time at the dealer as it did in my driveway, so I'm paying for a truck, and driving some crappy Chevy sedan as a loaner, I had to get rid of it before 3-year 36,000 miles, what a financial bath I took on that thing.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:51 AM

Kill TITAN make V-Spec Hybrid GTRs.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:09 AM

^ Well hybrid is the word, I think the 1st real 1/2-ton hybrid pickup will be a huge hit, and I don't mean a few extra mpg, I mean a major increase in mpg.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Dec 20 2007, 03:09 PM
^ Well hybrid is the word, I think the 1st real 1/2-ton hybrid pickup will be a huge hit, and I don't mean a few extra mpg, I mean a major increase in mpg.
how do you feel about the new Silverado Hybrid? i dont know the technicals...

the article is good ... its the CEO being pragmatic... Nissan and Toyota didnt get into the gas guzzling pick-up truck business to have a bread and butter profit maker... they have their cars for that... theyre only in the full-size truck market to give middle-income suburban American's a choice if they get a truck without leaving the "family"... they know that no one in any rural parts of America is going to buy a Japanese truck... theyre not trying to own that market... they just want be a thorn in the sides of the only thing thats keeping GM and Ford in business...

the article states Ghosn feels the future is in fuel-economy... how true... i wished GM and Ford executives felt that way 10 years ago... Nissan is trying to focus more on fuel-efficient vehicles of different types...

Toyota (and Honda) already has a leg up on fuel efficient technologies than Nissan... Toyota can afford to lose some money on trucks just to be a thorn on GM's side... but Nissan cant afford that... Nissan's real competitor is Toyota... they want to focus their resources on catching up on the profitable fuel-efficient wave of the future before Toyota and Honda own a market that actually has a future... they cant afford the distraction of full-size trucks, where neither Toyota nor Nissan are making a lot of profit... and its primarily an US only market...

i really like the looks of the Titan too.. but seems like the CEO has the interest of shareowners in mind... something i wished GM and Ford executives have...
Old 12-20-2007, 05:58 PM
jah

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Dec 17 2007, 08:07 PM
i think the TITAN is a nice truck, just needs a lil more refinement.
say yessss to a hybrid TITAN
Old 12-21-2007, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman1,Dec 20 2007, 03:52 PM
how do you feel about the new Silverado Hybrid? i dont know the technicals...
It's a joke. To my hybrid is supposed to equate to some really incredible savings.

Here is a real world review from pickuptruck.com

[B][I]During the week I drove the Silverado it averaged 16.1mpg in mixed driving conditions, traveling an average of 70 miles per day. GM claims an EPA rating of 17 miles-per-gallon in the city and 19 on the highway for the hybrid Silverado.

With only about 10% better fuel economy than a standard Silverado, the hybrid Silverado
Old 12-21-2007, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman1,Dec 20 2007, 03:52 PM
Nissan and Toyota didnt get into the gas guzzling pick-up truck business to have a bread and butter profit maker... they have their cars for that... theyre only in the full-size truck market to give middle-income suburban American's a choice if they get a truck without leaving the "family"... they know that no one in any rural parts of America is going to buy a Japanese truck... theyre not trying to own that market... they just want be a thorn in the sides of the only thing thats keeping GM and Ford in business...
or should I say, I pray like hell you are right.

I just hope Nissan can be happy with the 60k units they are selling, or spend some money to advertise better. I have zero desire to own a Ford/Chevy/Dodge especially after giving all of those 1/2-ton pickups a complete testing prior to my purchase of the Titan. And I know for a fact, in 2014 - 2016 it will be time to replace my '05 Titan, and I sure want to buy anotherone!

Quick Reply: NISSAN to kill TITAN?