Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NSX King of it's day?

Old 04-28-2004, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Often times when discussions begin to drift on the topic of the NSX the point is made that everything else aside, back in it's prime the NSX offered world class super car performance for less than the competition.

Which is why I find this graphic from 94 (via a link posted by someone earlier -- thanks) interesting.

Full article is here: http://www.corvettearchive.com/

-Steve (who is not in any way knocking any of these cars)
Old 04-28-2004, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes indeed very interesting.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is not all about raw numbers....it is overall driving experience and joy.

Speaking as probably one of the only people who have driven ALL of those vehicles for extended periods of time except the Cobra and the ZX9R, I can tell you that each one is very different to live with on a day to day basis. The NSX is one of the better packages out there, and was at that time as well.

Yes, I am an NSX owner, but I am realistic enough about it to tell you that driving a Porsche 3.6 turbo is a damn good time, and probably one of my favorite cars for everyday use. The thing is just freaking fast, and can be driven every day with ease. The ZR1 is in the same boat as the Porsche. Driving a ZR1 and mashing the gas makes you feel like you just lit a rocket booster under your a$$ and then got hit by a truck from behind....yes, that is also one of the most enjoyable cars money can buy, and can be driven every day as well. Different approaches to fun, yet both are successful in their own way and for a certain buyer. Do I wish the NSX had that much torque?? Heck yeah!!

The point is that almost all of the arguments about the NSX are usually between people that, no offense, have very limited or no actual experience or knowledge of the car FIRST HAND. Also, the part that cannot be put into words is just that 'feeling' that is derived from owning an NSX. For some people that feeling comes from a Viper, and for those people the Viper is the perfect car for them. Plain and simple.

The really cool part about all of this is that we as car enthusiast have all of these wonderfully capable performance cars to choose from and argue about. I would rather have an educated discussion about if a Lotus Esprit is better than a Ferrari 512TR, as opposed to not having either of those beauties exist for us to enjoy.

Okay...well, you get the point. Just remember that before you judge a car based purely off of raw numbers, you really have no idea about the car until you live with it for a few days. That is when you can truly measure the greatness of an automobile. Drive on my friends....drive on.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:01 PM

Sounds just about right to me...

The 270HP 5-speed seems to fit in just right behind the Supra.

Look at the braking distances though.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:40 PM

Look at the braking distances and read the little paragraph (near bottom right) on the page about the NSX and RX-7.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:43 PM

Haha. The NSX beat all the cars in braking distance, even the 911 turbo! It was almost close to the bike's distance.

Oh, and look at the Ferrari in 6th place. I suppose that makes it a bad car too.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:59 PM

I'm pretty sure the ZR-1 was always faster than the NSX. Once the Viper came out it became even more displaced. Once the Supra and RX-7 came out it looked even worse. I've never thought the NSX was *fast* for it's time. A nice, more composed handler undoubtedly...but supercar performance? No chance. Once the F355 came out, it lost the competitive edge to Ferrari too. It needed an update 4 years into it's life-cycle.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:04 PM

So what? Everything on that list is either turbocharged or a full fledged supercar in its day. Just being able to be compared to those cars is a compliment. Meanwhile the NSX knows a few tricks those others don't... like how to be a everyday car. Get off your quest to knock the NSX down, it is quite boring.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:04 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting chart, no one has said the NSX was the fastest car of it's time...

The NSX was a "poor man's F 348".

That motorcycle is fast, I mean faster than an Enzo (?)

Interesting tidbit in the text for all those TL fanatics
"The last thing you want is weight transfer away from the driving wheels during acceleration"
Words to live by.

I've had several FWD cars and by far the more powerful they are, the less I liked them.

BTW I just saw a TR today
Old 04-28-2004, 07:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

lol at Steve

Quick Reply: NSX King of it's day?