Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ok... Im thinking about a bike...

Old 02-11-2003, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok... Im thinking about a bike...

Never been on one... Never driven one.. BUT ALWAYS WANTED ONE!!!

What type of bike and which one do you guys recommend???

FOR A BEGINNER???
Old 02-11-2003, 09:44 PM

i would recommend a 125cc 2 stroke or 4 stroke dirt bike. 4 stroke is probably easier for you. for a road bike, get a EX250 or something close to that.

what do you guys think?
Old 02-11-2003, 10:53 PM
J.T

yep. Start on a cheap dirt bike. Get to know how a bike handles and such. Plus dirt is softer than asphalt.

If you need to get a street bike first, get something small, 600cc MAX! And no plastic. You'll drop it and plastic is very expensive.

my recommended street bikes. Kawasaki EX500, Suzuki GS500 or even a Suzuki SV650 (I know I said 600cc max, but this is an exception.)

Also check out other sites like www.esportbike.com

have fun and be safe, always wear gear, and I hope this didn't come to mind after seeing biker boiz!
Old 02-12-2003, 07:15 AM

If you're thinking of getting a motorcycle, sign up for and take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginner course. You can call them at 1-800-CC-RIDER to find out when the next class will be held in your area.

Besides teaching you many useful skills, it gives you a chance to try riding a motorcycle and gain a small amount of experience before actually buying one.

I would also suggest starting off in the dirt if that is at all possible. The motorcycle control skills you learn off road are helpful on the street and you can get much better at dealing with limited traction without getting hurt.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:16 AM

Not everyone has facilities to make a dirt bike purchase work. I'd have to trailer one a minimum of 30 minutes 1 way anytime I wanted to ride one.

If you can't make a dirt bike work, a mid 90s 600cc sport bike would be a reasonable place to start. An F2 or F3, ZX6, YZR600. All these bikes have a enough power to be fun (so you won't hate it 2 weeks after you buy it), but are not so crazy that they'll warp you beyond your what your senses can process.

I don't agree that you should necessarily buy a bike with no/minimal bodywork. I don't think dropping your bike is likely unless you're really careless.

You will want to be careful about buying a used bike. For some reason most people don't maintain their bikes as they would their cars. Ask about oil changes, brake bleeding, winter storage routines and coolant flushes. If you get sketchy answers on these topics turn around and walk away. You can be sure that other major mechanical systems have been ignored.

DO NOT go out and but a new 750/1000cc bike. I can't stress this enough. I have raced bikes for years and the new 1000cc bikes scare ME. They are way too much bike for a beginner.

Let us know what you end up with.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:19 AM

how about a ducati 748 for a real nice price.
my friend is selling it to get a car.
has only 3k miles on it.
yellow color.

PM me if you are interested.
thanks!

IMpoRtReV
Old 02-12-2003, 11:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sokitset [B]I don't agree that you should necessarily buy a bike with no/minimal bodywork.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:29 AM

As others have said, get a nice, reliable, naked sports or sporty bike. You don't need a lot of power, as even "slow" bikes are much faster than most realize. You don't want a lot of power since it can bite you. My first bike was a Yamaha Seca II, a great bike to learn on. I now ride a Honda VFR and a Sazuki SV650. All of which I bought used, and all 3 cost me less than the down payment on my S2000. It's easy to upgrade bikes, but it sucks to wreck a nicely faired sports bike and have to replace all that plastic. That can cost more than a nice used bike.

You might want to take an MSF course before you buy since that will give you an idea of what riding is like and if it's for you - it's not for everybody. It also gives you your M endorsement.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:27 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

A SV-650 is a excellent choice, I have been riding for 20 years and they are very fun to ride, also cheap and easy to maintain. Not the best windprotection for highway use, but great in the backroads.

A Ducati 748?? Absolutely not!, great handling. and looking but Very expensive to maintain, and totaly unforgiving and very bad choice for a new rider.

I have 2 friends with lots if riding time and both bought new SV's recently, also I am looking to get a SV-650 race bike for a track day bike.

Make sure to budget for good safety gear, Leather jacket, leather riding pants or at the very least Draggin Jeans (not Levis) Motorcycle specific boots (Sidi, Alpinestars etc) and gloves.

PS if you want a dirt bike I am selling my KDX (it's in new cond)

KDX 220R for sale

George
02 SPA
02 VFR has Vtec too
too many others to list
Old 02-12-2003, 07:08 PM

honda cbr600 i heard is good to learn on

Quick Reply: Ok... Im thinking about a bike...