Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

OMG, my dream car. I found it.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:23 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

There went their carefully refined aerodynamic efficiency.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by espelirS2K,Apr 21 2010, 11:32 PM
And are you?

It wasn't because of the prius, dude. There's been hybrids out WAY before the prius.

Also, what makes you think the auto makers wouldn't use the batteries, even if they don't decompose... ever. I bet they still would (and do)
Not to mention the effects that mining for the materials in those batteries has on the environment....but hey it's "green" right?

Old 04-22-2010, 05:51 AM

haha wow... looks like youre doing well with the car! i just got matched for anesth. youre my hero man
Old 04-22-2010, 05:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ECale3,Apr 22 2010, 05:40 AM
Not to mention the effects that mining for the materials in those batteries has on the environment....but hey it's "green" right?
LOL, which does not even remotely come close to the environmental, political, and economic impact of drilling, removing, transporting, refining, and transporting again oil from the middle east..

That said, hybrids are, in my 'accurate opinion', the worst of both worlds because you are using two stones to kill one bird..
Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Seemingly Toyota has given in to the idea that they may never resolve the sticking throttle issue, and now with the convertible Prius they can make ejection seats an option.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Y2KS2K34,Apr 21 2010, 05:48 PM
according to Top Gear(not sure on their source) but because of the mining for the nickel in the batteries etc. the prius does more environmental harm than a new land rover...
There was also an episode of Boston Legal that went over the damage Prius production has on the environment. It was quite lengthy and interesting. In the end it's just a car that fools tree huggers into feeling superior.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Steponme,Apr 21 2010, 10:16 PM
No, I never claimed to be an automotive expert (in fact, far from it). However, I'm not delusional enough to make such a huge assertion, i.e. biggest mistake. The Prius is THE hybrid that made hybrids popular, nothing else!!! It first came to the market in the '90s, but starting in early 2000s, it became so popular that all automakers took notice. The first and only hybrid to have sold over 1 million thus far. The Prius is THE reason why there are more and more hybrids nowadays.

There are scientists who would argue against your environmental claims too. I'm not gonna go into that debate because I realize I'm neither a hybrid or environmentalist expert.

P.S. Home and industrial use of batteries far exceeds the use in hybrids.
And energy production pollution greatly outweighs that by automobiles. Big whoop. You're changing the subject.

Suggestion: Many people buy the Prius.
Theory: In order to be environmentally friendly
But... the Prius is not necessarily more environmentally friendly, due to its battery.
(OTHER BATTERIES do not come into this. We're comparing the cars, and their environmental footprints, not batteries.)

Half the people are merely deluded by the marketing, and believe they doing something amazing for the environment.

The other half doesn't really care, and just wants to be seen driving a hybrid--an overpriced tin bucket of a car that no one would spend $12,000 on if it wasn't a hybrid and "in."

So no, I suppose they didn't make a mistake... it was profitable. But don't pretend it's due to the wonderfulness of the Prius.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by asrautox,Apr 22 2010, 07:54 AM
LOL, which does not even remotely come close to the environmental, political, and economic impact of drilling, removing, transporting, refining, and transporting again oil from the middle east..

That said, hybrids are, in my 'accurate opinion', the worst of both worlds because you are using two stones to kill one bird..
Which hybrids still use, as well.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-22-2010, 08:54 AM

i won't get into the hybrid debate, but i will say that we recently rented a prius for a trip in and about yellowstone and the grand tetons. did over 1000 miles in a week, and averaged 58 mpg (of course under almost ideal conditions).

otherwise the car was completely unremarkable, and despite the great gas mileage, i wouldn't buy one.

people don't realize that the price premium you pay for a hybrid, will never be offset by the cost in fuel savings, unless you drive an inordinate amount of miles over many years.

-c

Quick Reply: OMG, my dream car. I found it.