Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

parental units need a new car

Old 07-16-2009, 08:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000cr,Jul 16 2009, 07:59 AM
Drive the ES and you will see why you CANNOT buy it. At least the IS is a little more engaging to drive. The ES feels like it will tip over from the body roll if you don't slow completely down when making normal turns.
and obviously not something his parents care.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the responses!

they're gonna go again today for another in depth test drive of both

i just realized that HIDs aren't standard on these cars... brand new + tax and junk will be $45k canadian and doesn't even include HIDs wtf. are HIDs mandatory or nah?!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:08 AM

HID's are definitely a nice feature, and i'm sure that if cars in canada are equipped like the ones in America, even though they aren't "standard," most of the ones you find on dealer lots will have them added already.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:10 AM

Paul,

HIDs are options on most Lexus vehicles, including the ES and IS.

I'd opt for the ES instead of the IS. RWD + snow = not fun. Also, the IS has ridiculously small back seats. IF they ever plan on using them, they'll be quite annoyed.

They will run well past 130k if maintained properly. My father had an LS with 200k on it when he sold it and you'll find numerous owners who get similar mileage out of them all over the place.

Also, remember, you're buying a warranty & service, Lexus is probably second to none for dealer service/issues. Not sure about Toyota (if the Camry or other vehicles were being considered as suggested above).
Old 07-16-2009, 08:21 AM

thanks so much for the prompt responses, greatly appreciated!

would either the IS or ES without the premium package (HIDs) steer you guys away? i'm personally used to HIDs but i'm not sure if my parents really care since they've been driving a land rover discovery the past few years and it wasn't equipped with them

just to cover all the bases, should i also go tell them to test an Acura TSX as well?! or don't even bother
Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 AM

I'd personally take the TSX over the ES & IS. It looks better, has standard HIDs (if you're worried about that), is quicker (than the IS) and probably gets better MPG (4 cyl).
Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 AM

is250 is pretty small, are they ok with the size?

I was looking at the IS, ended up going with a CPO GS for around the same price. So far I love it
Old 07-16-2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by paul__chen,Jul 16 2009, 09:21 AM
would either the IS or ES without the premium package (HIDs) steer you guys away? i'm personally used to HIDs but i'm not sure if my parents really care since they've been driving a land rover discovery the past few years and it wasn't equipped with them
I find it kind of ironic when people don't have things that you'd typically see on "luxury" cars, like HIDs or REAL leather. If you're going to spend the coin on a luxury car, why not spend the small % of its entry and get options that define the segment. If you don't want these things, then pick up a Camry. It's the same car, without the "luxury" amenities.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rwheelz,Jul 16 2009, 06:32 AM
Hahhaaha. Last night I asked my wife if she was still happy/satisfied with her LX470, and she told me "I am happy driving anything, as long as it's a Lexus."
LOL
Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by exb00st,Jul 16 2009, 12:36 PM
I find it kind of ironic when people don't have things that you'd typically see on "luxury" cars, like HIDs or REAL leather. If you're going to spend the coin on a luxury car, why not spend the small % of its entry and get options that define the segment. If you don't want these things, then pick up a Camry. It's the same car, without the "luxury" amenities.
agreed!

Quick Reply: parental units need a new car