Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Porsche 718 Cayman/Boxster going electric in 2025

Old 09-23-2021, 07:46 PM

Received 565 Likes on 395 Posts
Default Porsche 718 Cayman/Boxster going electric in 2025

The models will be launched in the latter half of 2024.

The "911" will stay ICE.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...uture-details/

https://www.motor1.com/news/535259/p...electric-2025/

Looks like used prices of current gen 718s and current dealer stock will be soaring soon...
Old 09-23-2021, 08:39 PM

Received 491 Likes on 375 Posts

Yikes...
Old 09-24-2021, 05:36 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings

Looks like used prices of current gen 718s and current dealer stock will be soaring soon...
...and hopefully resale values of used 981's.
The following users liked this post:
vader1 (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 06:39 AM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

Even though I'm holding the line with my recent purchase of my Blackwing six-speed manual, it's beginning to feel more and more like clinging onto a horse as the car becomes more prevalent back at the turn of the 20th century. The nostalgia of a nice ICE and manual throw is going to feel very arcane with the coming age of next-gen batteries and beautifully integrated multi-motor electric cars.

I could see the fun of an electric Cayman that could shred any GT4 with power/acceleration with better handling of a torque vectoring electric motor set-up along with a futuristic, cool electric motor sound.

Some will claim heresy, but those going down with the ICE ship will be a rare breed in the not too distant future. I cannot lie about my real interest in the Plaid Tesla, Ford Lightning, Rivian, Hummer EV, etc.

All that said, I'm not selling my ZR1 or Blackwing anytime soon.
mosesbotbol (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 06:58 AM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Even though I'm holding the line with my recent purchase of my Blackwing six-speed manual, it's beginning to feel more and more like clinging onto a horse as the car becomes more prevalent back at the turn of the 20th century. The nostalgia of a nice ICE and manual throw is going to feel very arcane with the coming age of next-gen batteries and beautifully integrated multi-motor electric cars.

I could see the fun of an electric Cayman that could shred any GT4 with power/acceleration with better handling of a torque vectoring electric motor set-up along with a futuristic, cool electric motor sound.

Some will claim heresy, but those going down with the ICE ship will be a rare breed in the not too distance future. I cannot lie with my interest in the Plaid Tesla, Ford Lightning, Rivian, Hummer EV, etc.

All that said, I'm not selling my ZR1 or Blackwing anytime soon.
I’m actually concerned for people’s safety lol. These electric vehicles are going to be monsters (some already are) in the very very near future. The ceiling will be so high it’ll be dangerous in the wrong hands. Pretty cool stuff nonetheless!

The electric Cayman will completely destroy the prior generation ICE. The performance gap will be laughable.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG

Some will claim heresy, but those going down with the ICE ship will be a rare breed in the not too distance future.
Agreed. I'm very interested in how these first generation of EV sports cars perform. I know that the next gen MX-5 will also likely be EV as well, so looking at that as the "affordable" option.

The main thing I will be eyeing are the weight figures. Porsche needs to keep this below 3400 lbs for an EV (preferably maintain current figures of ~3100 lbs), and Mazda needs to keep it below 2800 lbs.
I'm also going to be looking at range/longevity on track. My two local home tracks are about 2.7 miles long. Tesla model 3s can only run 2-3 hotlaps (or about 12-15minutes on track) before needing to pull off and recharge. My S2K usually gets about 7-9 hotlaps in for a session and can run 2 sessions without refueling - I've run a straight session as long as 45 minutes without fuel cut issues (stock fueling system, just a baffle plate for the pump pick up - 25 minute install).

I definitely won't be an early adopter, but I'll eventually get on board.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:20 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger1964
...and hopefully resale values of used 981's.

I paid a little under $60k used about 5 years ago, I told my wife after watching prices of just about any old Porsche trending upward, as well as an upward trend in used (enthusiast) cars that I could drive the car for 20 years and probably get what I paid for it. I still think that is a real possibility, especially when there are few ICE cars and fewer with a stick out there.

I also have a feeling we will go through a phase 20 years or so into the future where old Miata's will be some cool hipster thing and go for a (small) mint.

I sold my SW20 for $7k well over a decade ago and you can't find a decent one for under $30k now.

Last edited by vader1; 09-24-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:51 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Everything will go electric before the end of the decade. You probably bought your last internal combustion engine or will in the next 5 years.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:56 AM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Agreed. I'm very interested in how these first generation of EV sports cars perform. I know that the next gen MX-5 will also likely be EV as well, so looking at that as the "affordable" option.

The main thing I will be eyeing are the weight figures. Porsche needs to keep this below 3400 lbs for an EV (preferably maintain current figures of ~3100 lbs), and Mazda needs to keep it below 2800 lbs.
I'm also going to be looking at range/longevity on track. My two local home tracks are about 2.7 miles long. Tesla model 3s can only run 2-3 hotlaps (or about 12-15minutes on track) before needing to pull off and recharge. My S2K usually gets about 7-9 hotlaps in for a session and can run 2 sessions without refueling - I've run a straight session as long as 45 minutes without fuel cut issues (stock fueling system, just a baffle plate for the pump pick up - 25 minute install).

I definitely won't be an early adopter, but I'll eventually get on board.

Apparently, the new Plaid has very little performance degradation with repeated acceleration runs or a Nurburgring run, etc. Porsche has and always will be very good with thermal management and performance stability. I'm quite sure a hi-po electric Cayman will be able to go out and run for a track day kicking a** and taking names and then cruise home and recharge to head back out for another track day. Or, at least, that is what I hope Porsche will require before releasing because that should be a core requirement for a vehicle like an electric Porsche. Apparently, the Taycan can handle repeated abuse much better than previous gen and most current gen Teslas and it's duty cycle is much different than a car like a Boxster/Cayman.
mosesbotbol (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
I also have a feeling we will go through a phase 20 years or so into the future where old Miata's will be some cool hipster thing and go for a (small) mint.
It's already happened. NA Miatas that used to sell for $500-$800 are now going for $6000 to $8000. The current prices are stupid.

Quick Reply: Porsche 718 Cayman/Boxster going electric in 2025