Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Road and Track on Mustangs

Old 03-17-2005, 05:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]
Escape's Hybrid Powertrain System Key Components

The Escape's hybrid powertrain system consists of a half-dozen key components engineered to provide a seamless flow of power in response to every nudge of the accelerator:

A special 2.3-liter 4-cylinder gasoline engine that features Atkinson cycle combustion for improved efficiency and produces 133 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 129 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,500 rpm (Preliminary Ratings).
A 65-kWatt (equivalent to 87 horsepower) electric traction motor that provides an added boost to the drive wheels when maximum acceleration is desired.
A 28-kWatt (equivalent to 38 horsepower) generator motor that recharges the batteries, starts the engine and helps regulate how the two propulsion channels blend together in the transaxle.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Legal Bill,Mar 17 2005, 04:04 AM] How the crap did the auto-techies hijack my Mustang thread and make it a hybrid thread?
Old 03-18-2005, 05:57 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Mar 14 2005, 01:07 PM
No, I believe that my experience is my experience and because of my experience I question the validity of many claims that seem to come from aunts/unclues/neighbors/friends. Notice almost all of the negative talk comes from people who don't actually own the cars -- the neighbor/parent/uncle/aunt scenario. I give those opinions nearly zero weight as most of them are probably imagined or made up for purposes beyond my understanding.

My own experience tells me never to listen to these folks. Had I done so I never would have purchased a Ford, which was a great experience, nor a couple BMW's, which was a great experience, nor two Land Rovers, which again was a great experience. The irony for me at least has been that the Hondas I have owned over the years have been the least reliable and most full of rattles (backed up by horrible dealers) -- but of course on a Honda board my experience there must just be a fluke ...
My '02 Mustang was parked at 4,000 miles and 3 months while trying to resolve it's issues with Ford. They tried to wait me out but fortunately I could afford to wait and 18 months later they paid up. I wouldn't buy a Ford built after 1969 (I am looking at a '66 Mustang) because of they way they dealt with me but the new Mustang is nice looking. Just because I had a bad experience with Ford I wouldn't tell you not to buy one but I would inform you of how to take them on in the event of a problem. Hell, I buy Dodge trucks even though they have a horrible reputation and have had excellent luck with them. My '93 pickup has 178K on it and has never had anything other than normal maintenance done but I doubt that is typical of this vehicle.

For the money the Mustang is a good buy although I would skip the first year of any new vehicle.

Mark