Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is S2000 Honda's last great, fun car?

Old 04-18-2013, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is S2000 Honda's last great, fun car?

Hey guys

Finally got into another S2000 (07 Grand Prix White) a month ago, after having sold my AP1 S2000 5 years ago

It got me thinking, as good as the S2000 is, is the S the last great, fun, sporty Honda ever?

Think about it for a second, what car does Honda make right now that you'd consider fun and sporty? The new Civic Si? I havent driven the new one yet but the looks are a bit dull IMHO...

Honda or Acura makes NO convertibles right now. I think almost every other manufacturers makes them

Honda made some excellent sports cars, sporty cars in the past, like the Honda Civic Si, prelude, S2000, Acura Integra, Integra Type R, Acura RSX, and of course the awesome NSX.

What sporty cars do they make now....the Honda Fit? A front wheel drive Accord coupe? It's hard for me to think of one...

Toyota was in a similar situation but have corrected it slowly, first with the sweet Lexus LFA and now the Scion FR-S.

I know Acura is coming out with a new NSX, but with a hybrid engine and all wheel drive, and a price tag above $100k, they still don't have an affordable sports car....

So I have to ask, is the S2000 Honda's last, great sports/sporty car? In my opinion, I'd have to say yes. I truly hope Honda fixes this soon

What do you all think?

(by the way, I have owned a 06 Honda Civic Si, 05 Acura RSX type S, 2000 Honda S2000, and now a 07 S2000)
Old 04-18-2013, 07:57 PM

the two best cars honda made were the nsx and s2k. integra type r probably third. they have lost their way, I do like the new accord sedan though. once they stopped putting front double wishbone suspensions in civics, it was all downhill from there for civics as far as I am concerned. I have driven newer ones and they do nothing for me, si's included.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:04 PM

With the success of the Genesis Coupe. & the sure to be successful FR-S/BRZ twins, you can expect Nissan & Honda to respond. As for the NSX, I have faith in Honda that they will put Ferrari to shame once again & shake up the supercar world. I have faith that we will see a car thats better than the 458 Italia and about half the price.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

When did they put Ferrari to shame before? The previous NSX is really quite weak in performance. Especially for the price.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Moddiction
When did they put Ferrari to shame before? The previous NSX is really quite weak in performance. Especially for the price.
read what mclaren said about it
Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I own a CR-Z as well an S2000. If it had a K series or a supercharger it would be a truly fun car.

The '13 model especially has great, well-controlled handling. The shifter is excellent. Simply no top end power though.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:02 PM

If you consider the Nordschlife is a fairly comprehensive measure of performance the NSX was certainly faster than a 348 by a wide margin, even on smaller tracks. Even near the end of its life the NA2 NSX-R was quite a bit quicker than a 360. It also was not overpriced at all. It wasn't until the 430 that the NSX, still abiding by the 280ps limit, had to admit defeat in all aspects of performance.

When you consider that a NA1 NSX-R could go around the ring in under 8:05, with the 5spd, the 270hp 3L, and narrow/small tires of 90's era traction, I really don't know where you are getting your stuff from. The chassis, suspension, and engine performance of the NSX are out of this world. The fact you can even compare apples and oranges with it coming out on top is already insane. When you compare apples to apples ie other 280ps limit cars, the NSX is downright the best to come out of Japan.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with above post by labelskate.Honda did lose their way so finally a new guy took over after the last couple of years of civics & accords were a mess.

I think & hope the S comes back....if it does I will buy one( no I won't sell my 03).

The new accord sedan is good,we bought the V6.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 04-19-2013, 03:20 AM

When Ferrari came out with the 348, it was criticized by many to be slow and very unreliable. Even the new CEO of Ferrari, who still is CEO now, called the 348, the worst Ferrari he's ever driven. Ouch, and that's around when the NSX came out and showed everyone that a supercar doesn't have to fall apart every second

However the F355, the successor to the 348, was such a great improvement....

However, even though the new NSX may be good, I doubt it'll be better than the 458 Italia or the new F12 Berlinetta. Ferrari has really stepped up their game and is producing some amazing cars

I hope Honda returns to making sportier cars like they once did. Look at Acura...not one sporty car... Acura ILX, please, a rebadged Civic... Acura got rid of all their Type S models...the TL, RSX, etc, all gone...
Old 04-19-2013, 04:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mchi5
It got me thinking, as good as the S2000 is, is the S the last great, fun, sporty Honda ever?
For now? Yes. For ever? Ever's a long time. Consider your Toyota example.

Quick Reply: Is S2000 Honda's last great, fun car?