Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 replacement

Old 03-27-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christople
how many of those did they make?

i haven't ever seen one
The damned things are rarer than the meat at a zombie invasion. That's probably why you haven't seen one.

One year of production (2005). A few were sold as 2006's and there were supposedly 2,016 built in total. Here's a breakdown by color of 1,633 of them that someone on the Crossfire forum has tracked. Mine is an SSB coupe like the pictures below.

Coupes
315 Aero blue
331 Black
253 Gray
279 SSB (Sapphire Silver Blue)

Roadsters
96 Aero blue
166 black
89 Gray
104 SSB

I don't have mine in the driveway yet but, this is exactly what it looks like.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:53 PM

Interior looks very much like the slk32, one of the best bang for the buck mods would be a pulley for the supercharged AMG's. I'm looking into picking up a C32, basically the same engine but slightly higher tuned
Old 03-27-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it a lot! It definitely makes sense to get this car over the S2000 and I think this car is a real stunner. First time I've seen it and I like it already. Mind you, I would never buy one as I have a higher threshold for S2000 communiting inconvenience but great choice nonetheless.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelsmoker
I like it a lot! It definitely makes sense to get this car over the S2000 and I think this car is a real stunner. First time I've seen it and I like it already. Mind you, I would never buy one as I have a higher threshold for S2000 communiting inconvenience but great choice nonetheless.
Thanks. I love the looks. The 3.2L engine is a hand built supercharged unit from AMG and the 5 speed auto is also an AMG creation. The coupe body is actually stiffer than the SLK32 while weighing about 100 lbs less. The car supposedly does 0-60 in 4.8 sec. It compares pretty well with other cars of its day... Vette, NSX, M3, Aston DB9, CTS-V

R&T Performance Numbers
Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 PM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

You and I butt heads on this forum alot, but the car's cool. I'm in that category of those who love the way it looks, and had it come in a stick, things might be different for me. I remember actually following this car when it was still a concept (looked better imo, but thats the case all the time). But the car seems to fit your needs better, let us know how the maitenance is on that car, I don't imagine anything with merc in it will be cheap, let alone an AMG.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
You and I butt heads on this forum alot, but the car's cool. I'm in that category of those who love the way it looks, and had it come in a stick, things might be different for me. I remember actually following this car when it was still a concept (looked better imo, but thats the case all the time). But the car seems to fit your needs better, let us know how the maitenance is on that car, I don't imagine anything with merc in it will be cheap, let alone an AMG.
Thanks Don. Yeah, most of the concepts never make it to production. They leave us wanting more every time. The beautiful sculpture is just too expensive to tool up for. But I don't think Chrysler did badly with this one. They took some risks with the boat tail rear end and the chopped roofline. I'll give Chrysler this much, their stylists have been willing to push the envelope with low volume cars like the Prowler, Crossfire, and Viper. No other mainstream automaker has tried it.

As for maintenance, it's a mixed bag. I can get a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx TT's for about $700 so, not bad. On the other hand an oil change is $150 which includes 8.2 quarts of synthetic oil. Yep over 2 gallons of Mobil 1 0W40. Many of the guys on the Crossfire forum have them maintained at Merc dealerships simply because many of the SRT certified Chrysler mechanics are no longer around. But I look at the overall cost of ownership and at $15,800 I have a car that competes with cars costing three times as much. There's room for maintenance money.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:12 AM

hey two wheel smoker, i saw lots of vehicles youve owned in your sig, what's been your favorite vehicle?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 AM

I've seen a few of the Crossfire's here in Cali. They are pretty nice, I just don't like the rear wing at all. It seems out of place for my taste. Would like to see one with wither the wing deleted, or maybe a more aggressive style?

Other than that, great purchase! Now you can commute in style and still have the ablity for some nice spirited driving.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 AM

I like those...and that's a heck of a deal! I thought these had the wing that only comes up when the car is going more than 35 mph or something though?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
As for maintenance, it's a mixed bag. I can get a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx TT's for about $700 so, not bad. On the other hand an oil change is $150 which includes 8.2 quarts of synthetic oil. Yep over 2 gallons of Mobil 1 0W40. Many of the guys on the Crossfire forum have them maintained at Merc dealerships simply because many of the SRT certified Chrysler mechanics are no longer around. But I look at the overall cost of ownership and at $15,800 I have a car that competes with cars costing three times as much. There's room for maintenance money.
Plus with Mercedes, it's not usually the motor that causes maintenance/reliability issues. It's my impression those are usually pretty solid.

Enjoy the car! Sounds like you got a terrific deal.

Quick Reply: S2000 replacement