Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 replacement...at high altitude

Old 03-18-2016, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We already have an AWD wagon (Audi allroad) for the snow, so this would be the fun/toy car, and I think RWD is a must. Also, we don't get _that_ much snow here since I'm not actually in the mountains (though they're nearby).

I've driven an early 135i and I liked it, especially the sound and power of the I6. If I were to get one, I would shoot for a later, 2011+ model with the N55 motor with reasonable mileage (50k or less). They still have their issues, but I think they're nowhere near as bad as the N54, and would still make ~380WHP with a downpipe and a tune. Oh, and E85 is everywhere around here, so that's a possibility as well.

BTW, it's kind of interesting to read up on what guys here will do to make power at altitude. Turbos are a must, but they also run crazy high compression ratios (13:1) to account for the lower cylinder pressures.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a shiny 2016 STI Limited with 2k miles on it that needs a new home. Put some good suspension on it and it should be a blast and it has a bumper to bumper warranty and free maintenance
Old 03-18-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 427 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Originally Posted by rogue3092' timestamp='1458135370' post='23910135
Thanks for the feedback all!

-Bill, thanks for the comments on the M235i. I'm still a little wary of the EPS, but I should probably just test-drive one myself. Seems like some folks are either very happy with it, or not.

Yes, give it a try. FWIW, I'm starting to appreciate the near numb feel at low speeds. The wheel turns with great ease in parking lots and then gets tighter on the road. And that is without switching driving modes. I kinda like that.

I have not done this myself because my 328i only has 20k and I am waiting for the tires to wear out but according to MANY posts on Bimmerfest and elsewhere, feedback improves greatly when you replace the runflats with standard tires. You don't have a spare, and I am not sure that it is like an old hydraulic system, but people who ditch the runflats for standards love the results afterward.

I have never had a flat in my life so it is what I will do when the time comes, spare or no spare.

I would introduce another possibility to the OP if you love your S. There are plenty of SC'ed (a little more reliable and less complex) and turboed cars that sell used here on this board. It would probably be a couple grand to sell your car and swap for one of those if the S2000 is your ideal. Depending on miles, Sc'ed cars appear regularly listed at $20k or less all the time.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to lose as much or more money on a newer BMW than on boosting the S imo. But I understand the dilemma, what about a new Mustang GT or Camaro SS for a RWD fun car?

A 20 percent loss on 430-450 hp and 400+ lb-ft of torque is manageable even on a slightly heavy car, and still faster than a stock S2000 at sea level. Both should have nicer interiors than a C6 Vette. Probably closer to the C7's for the new Camaro, and then you'll have the perks of owning a brand new car for probably about what you'd have ended up spending (at least including maintenance and repairs) on the lightly used Porsche or BMW, along with a full warranty for peace of mind.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with something like a Camaro or Mustang is that they would have power but feel like a boat after the S2K. I'm also just not very keen on domestics, they've never really appealed to me.

Buying a turbo'd/SC'd S2K would be a possibility, but part of the reason I want to switch is that at 6'3" I just don't fit that well into it. The biggest problem is the non adjustable steering wheel. I want a car with good ergonomics, especially something that I will drive hard.

BTW, since my OP I've driven the following:

* 986 Boxster S. It sounded nice, but everything else was underwhelming. The power wasn't there, the steering was overly light and sloppy, and the shifter was nowhere near as good as the S2K. The flat 6 did sound nice though. However, IMO, the S2K > 986 by miles.
* BMW 135 convertible. The biggest problem with the BMW was that it just didn't feel special enough. The steering was OK, the power was quite good, but overall the experience was just "meh". Definitely not a true sports car, so it's out of the equation.
* 987.2 Cayman S. Now we're talking This one put the biggest smile on my face by far. The driving position was great, steering feedback was really good, and the power and sound (especially above 4k) were just intoxicating. The DI flat-6 has an awesome, snarly character and some decent torque to boot.

Sooo..I'm in the hunt for a 987.2 Boxster S. It won't be as fast as a turbo'd car here in the mountains, but I still think it will give me more driving pleasure overall. Plus with bolt-ons and a tune you can extract ~30 WHP fairly easily, not bad for NA.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

987.2s are pretty few and far between if your particular about what you're looking for. Those years fell in tough economic time, and porsche didn't sell a whole lot of them. Values tend to be pretty strong due to this and the elimination of the IMS issue (real or perceived).

Theres also a company called TPC racing that can help with the turbo if you find you need it.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:35 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

SC something you like and turn up the boost!
Old 05-06-2016, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you thought about or driven a Golf R yet?
Old 05-07-2016, 12:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

The s2k is such a great platform with a ton of unlocked potential. Why start over with something else thats compromised, when you can modify the S for arguably much less money to reach your goal? Who cares about resale on a car of passion. Besides, if/when you do decide to sell for a better car, you can always sell off the parts to recoup some of that investment in your enjoyment wile you owned the car. No one wants to make a raw deal when buying a car, but I admittedly find it a little obnoxious when people look at sports car ownership as a business proposition, because it simply isn't. Cars cost/lose you money. You can try and mitigate some of the bad deals out there, but its still a toy at the end of the day, not a house.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:49 AM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_suzuka
On your C choice, I wanted to add that I've had a BMW 135i and the power steering, while hydraulic, is very accurate and somewhat heavy, but it offers almost no feedback as to what the front tires are doing. BMW has gone to great lengths to eliminate feedback... I used to have an E36 328is and that had the best steering feedback of the cars I've driven.

Given the altitude, turbo power is the way to go. Have you considered also Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi Evolution? On the plus side, AWD might be helpful in the snowy months.
I have a 135i. I drove a BRZ six months later and realized I'd made a mistake. Eventually I made my way to an S2000--also Suzuka.
Like the OP mentioned, there are guys out there who put LSD, coilovers, m3 subframe bushings, control arms and even the M3 steering rack. It's a shame they made so few of the 1M and they're still $50k.

Quick Reply: S2000 replacement...at high altitude