Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

s2000 vs EVO... Which is more reliable?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2000 vs EVO... Which is more reliable?

I have a friend who just said to me "it's still a Honda and it's still 20 times more reliable than an EVO" when I explained to him that the s2000 was STILL a sports car and not an "Accord kind of reliable". I explained to him that if you abuse the car, it will cost you... parts are not CHEAP, and just because it is a Honda doesn't mean it is bullet proof.

Considering the abuse delivered to the common EVO, if it where applied to an s2000 would it be just as reliable? Or would the s2000 indeed be a costly car to keep up with? I say that they are along the same lines, and that there are more "problemless, regular maintinence up to 90,000 miles" s2000s because a lot of people don't beat the SNOT out of them like they do EVO's...

The problems that EVO's face under abuse:

Transfer Case repair or replace

4th and 5th Gear grinds

Expensive clutch jobs ($1,500 or so)

and then you have the 4G63 which has been built for 20+ years now? And is considered to be one of the best motors ever built...

I am not 100% formilliar with what goes wrong with the s2000 but I have heard of (correct me if I am wrong)...

Rear differential repair or replace

Gear grinds

Expensive clutch jobs ($1,300 oem dealer quoted)

and even AP1 motor replacements...

I am NOT saying one is better than the other! I am simply trying to get acrossed to him that EITHER car will cost you if you abuse it and JUST because it is a Honda... does not mean it is invincible and under the SAME owner abuse they will both hurt the wallet. He seems to feel that these cars are Honda Accord reliable. I beg to differ. Though I am not saying the EVO is a Camry.

What do you guys think.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:36 PM

I have both. Both cars are reliable honestly. My evo has 75K on it, one clutch job (700 including clutch) and that's it. Never left me stranded, never not worked, xfer case is fine. I have a friend who's making over 400awhp in his Evo and it was launched multiple times with a carbon disc clutch on stock trans mission and xfer case, and it started to leak after 70K miles. Pretty solid IMO.

I have a friend who blew up the motor in his AP1 with just 60K on it. I have no problems out of mine. It really just depends.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:40 PM

S is the car to own . btw what did u think you would hear
its a S2000 site ...and we all love the S here so , go to evo site and theres your real answer .... my friend has an evo and always asks me to drive my S i have never asked to drive his evo ...nuff said
Old 02-27-2008, 05:16 PM

both are high end cars... both have expensive drive train parts... s2000 rear ends are made of glass. dont launch or dump the clutch.
both motors are forged from the factory and safe in that 400whp area.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:33 PM

its depends on what you're doing with them. In a track scenario, the evo would be incurring more wear imo. This is because of the pure weight difference (at least 400lb weight difference) which translates into more wear on tires (usually), brakes, chassis, and suspension. Also take into consideration that turbochargers typically accelerate wear of the motor, especially if pushed. Also factor in the more sophisticated drivetrain of the evo and you have even more parts to repair/replace if anything goes wrong.

Comparison to brake rotor replacements:
Stock s2000 rotor:25-50 each rotor new
Stock evo rotor-150-200 each new?

Another comparison albeit not as fair. Track day at willow springs raceway(streets) gas consumption:

My s2000(stock)-Had roughly 1/3 tank left, roughly 8 gallons consumed (wasn't sure how accurate the gas gauge was at that time, but still had considerable amount to drive home on)
Friend's slightly modded evo (catless turboback,tuned, 10.5 housing)- had to refill after his 3rd run. I'm guessing rougly 20 gallons consumed for day at the track?

Then there are the less common wear items such as the convertible top that would cost more than the evo if it were to malfunction simply because the evo doesn't have one.

If both cars are kept stock and daily driven, I wouldn't be surprised if the evo can go quite awhile, mileage-wise.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

moved to car talk, this isn't UTH material
Old 02-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SRTBoost24,Feb 27 2008, 05:29 PM
I have a friend who just said to me "it's still a Honda and it's still 20 times more reliable than an EVO" when I explained to him that the s2000 was STILL a sports car and not an "Accord kind of reliable". I explained to him that if you abuse the car, it will cost you... parts are not CHEAP, and just because it is a Honda doesn't mean it is bullet proof.
Any car that's been abused will prove unreliable, even an Accord, Camry or Civic. Moreover, the S2000 is much more hyper than those family cars to start with, i.e. high revving, high compression, etc. It's a sports car, nonetheless.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:19 PM

Both are pretty damn good in my experience.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id say their equal. if you beat on either your gonna have problems. but follow the regular maintance and treat em right and they run a long time.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Feb 27 2008, 09:04 PM
id say their equal. if you beat on either your gonna have problems. but follow the regular maintance and treat em right and they run a long time.

had an Evo 9 and put on 30k miles, 22k were at 330whp with 3 bolt-on's and a tune.

brother has an ap1, bought at 23k miles now at i think 53k miles, zero problems for either cars.

but we take care of our cars. yes we beat the crying shit out of it every chance we get, but we maintain it and dont abuse it.

if we're talking about buying a used Evo vs. used S2000 though....i'll sleep way better at night with a used s2k. most evo owners abuse the car and don't maintain it right...i was an Evo owner, so i know this for a fact

Quick Reply: s2000 vs EVO... Which is more reliable?