Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2K gone, what next?

Old 03-14-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
STI & Evo are going to be hard to find in good shape for those prices. Also good luck finding a reliable 335i for $15-20k. Those cars are horrible out of warranty.
Not true at all. I found a 1 owner, 50k mile Evo 9 with Ohlins, full suspension upgrades (sway bar, bushings, Whiteline Roll Center Kit etc, full boltons, E85, upgraded turbo etc etc ($10k~ worth of mods) owned by a 52 year old dude for my friend who was wanting to buy an Evo and we got it for $21k.

If you go on EvolutionM and know what you're looking for, you can find an amazing deal. I got my '04 Evo 8 RS, 1 owner, clean title for $12k with full boltons.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:02 AM

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I was in a similar situation except it was a third car. Ended up getting a HR (07-08) 350z. There are plenty of unmolested ones to find, however it's a big GT car and drives like one. There have been plenty of threads here about them. s2k aftermarket and community is considerably better but the stock drive train is stouter in the Z if you are going to mod.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1363177263' post='22400577
STI & Evo are going to be hard to find in good shape for those prices. Also good luck finding a reliable 335i for $15-20k. Those cars are horrible out of warranty.
Not true at all. I found a 1 owner, 50k mile Evo 9 with Ohlins, full suspension upgrades (sway bar, bushings, Whiteline Roll Center Kit etc, full boltons, E85, upgraded turbo etc etc ($10k~ worth of mods) owned by a 52 year old dude for my friend who was wanting to buy an Evo and we got it for $21k.

If you go on EvolutionM and know what you're looking for, you can find an amazing deal. I got my '04 Evo 8 RS, 1 owner, clean title for $12k with full boltons.
I agree, plenty of Evo 8's and 9's and 04-07 STi's for 18-20K in good condition with reasonable miles.

I am working a deal on an 03 Evo 8 with about 80K miles for 12.5 clean title, no wrecks.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know someone selling a mint 05 STi with 23k miles. No stories or issues. This car is clean! Selling for $23k. Just throwing it out there.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
I know someone selling a mint 05 STi with 23k miles. No stories or issues. This car is clean! Selling for $23k. Just throwing it out there.
??

Evan
Old 03-15-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackforged
Originally Posted by iLuveketchup' timestamp='1363383073' post='22406694
??

Evan
Old 03-15-2013, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by rnye
Lol.. None. Per dollar the s2000 is better than all the cars listed.
You know what...after looking online and trying to imagine driving anything besides the S2000, it seems you're so freakin right. I don't want the immature image of driving an Evo or STI, I'm skeptical about buying a 10 year old M3 for potential repair costs, and the 350Z just isn't truly appealing to me.

I test drove a few different cars tonight...the new Camero, older Genesis coupe 3.8 RSpec, the 2011 mustang V6, and the 2012 Mustang Boss 302.

The Camero was ok, I liked the drive, the interior, and the heads up display...but it made me feel kinda claustrophobic. I think this was because the windows were so damn small and hard to see out of. Probably not something I would consider just because I don't think I would be comfortable driving it...although it may be that I'm just used to the open feeling of a drop top S...

The Genesis was fun to drive. I liked the power and the planted feeling it gave me, I think it was the most overall fun to drive of the 4 cars listed. Yes, it was noticeably heavier than the S2000, but it was still a fun drive. I am on the fence with this car because of the noticeable lack in quality of the interior. It felt skimped on and from what I've read on the genesis coupe forums...the interior tends to creak for no reason other than it is cheaply made. I'd like to consider this, but I don't know if I can live with the annoyance of a creaking interior. I mean the S made some sounds with the top up, but never noticed anything weird sounding with it down. I don't know...

The V6 Mustang was cool, I liked it much more than the Camero. The car felt good, but since it was automatic it kinda put me off. I'd like to drive the manual version to see how it feels. I may consider this as a viable option as it has great power for the price, plus it looks great in my opinion. I know it will handle like a boat, but it was comfortable and I dont see myself on a track any time soon.

The Mustang Boss 302 was LEGIT. Everything about it was awesome! The feeling of all that power was amazing, the acceleration was great and the engine sound was nothing an S2K could dream of producing. However, I won't even be considering it. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a car, there are a handful of other options that would be higher on my consideration list before the Boss.

I know these cars that I drove tonight are drastically different from the S in terms of power and weight, but it wasn't a bad difference. I know there are very few cars that can provide that go-kart feeling of the S and if I want that again, I'll probably have to get another S2000. However, change isn't a bad thing right? Thoughts on the 2011 mustang V6 and the Genesis?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 AM

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Personally, from an aesthetic standpoint, I dislike the look of the Genesis; I cannot get over the front end. The bum looks nice. Creaky, poorly made interior is a deal breaker for me. I loved the interior of the B5 A4 I had.

I am a fan of the newer generation Mustangs; 5.0 V8 matted to a standard trans is the only way to go. The sound with a proper exhaust is heavenly. The look is muscular and beefy. The power is quite impressive in the V8.

Goodluck! These are by no means instructions on which car to buy, but merely my opinions. Buy what you like; don't buy it if you don't love it.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
Originally Posted by Trackforged' timestamp='1363394063' post='22407049
[quote name='iLuveketchup' timestamp='1363383073' post='22406694']
??

Evan

[/quote]

amazing!!

Tell him to list it in the PacNW that would be on craigslist for 30 grand here, no joke!

Evan
Old 03-16-2013, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprised no one mentioned 350z, seems like a death sentence to mention nissan on here

Quick Reply: S2K gone, what next?